Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have a problem getting popping noise from the front while driving at normal speed on highways. i get the sound from both sides like it is popping and i can feel it with my feet and it goes and comes every 10 seconds. driving is normal. no steering or t-case problems what so ever.

and if i hit it hard, i get one popping noise :confused:

what would that be. it has been like this for months now and i cant figure out what this noise is.
any ideas :werd:

thanks

·
Premium Lurker
4,232 Posts
Check the bushings on your front sway bar. Chances are they've slid off the bracket mounts, and that metal-to-metal contact between the bar and the brackets is what's causing your noise. I had the exact same thing happen to mine earlier this year....

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Can someone please tell me where the the front diff isolator bushings are?

I suspect it's my addco front sway bars that I have added. The stock bar with bwoody front endlinks worked really nice with no noise. I added the addco upgraded bar and dammit, I hear clunks and stuff. Can someone with addco front sway bars confirm if their bar runs silent or not?

Thanks

·
Registered
957 Posts
does anyone have a problem getting popping noise from the front while driving at normal speed on highways. i get the sound from both sides like it is popping and i can feel it with my feet and it goes and comes every 10 seconds. driving is normal. no steering or t-case problems what so ever.

and if i hit it hard, i get one popping noise :confused:

what would that be. it has been like this for months now and i cant figure out what this noise is.
any ideas :werd:

thanks
it might be your front diff bushings... its a very common wear on our rigs.

Can someone please tell me where the the front diff isolator bushings are?

I suspect it's my addco front sway bars that I have added. The stock bar with bwoody front endlinks worked really nice with no noise. I added the addco upgraded bar and dammit, I hear clunks and stuff. Can someone with addco front sway bars confirm if their bar runs silent or not?

Thanks
you would have to drop the diff to see it. there are three bushings... two are the same (just bushing) and the other is with a bracket mount. most common wear are just the two bushings, there is a picture. but i cannot find it at the moment. do a search. you'll find alot about the front differential bushings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just replaced the front drivers axle today thinking it would fix the "clicking" sound from what I thought was a bad CV joint. Nope!$#^$$^!!!!!! Still there and I get a lot of vibration from underneath the drivers floorboard when I accelerate. i am going to check the sway bar bushings tomorrow. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Did you ever end up figuring this out? The same thing is happening to mine right now. Low faint noise what seems to me is front/middle of the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In my case it is the transfer case. At 80k miles on the Jeep, the chain in the transfer case was slipping and was giving a very loud clicking, clunking, and rumbling sound from below the drivers feet or from the front drivers wheel. I removed the electric transfer case motor and no more noises. I'm in only rear wheel drive until I can come up with the $2500 for another transfer case.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
In my case it is the transfer case. At 80k miles on the Jeep, the chain in the transfer case was slipping and was giving a very loud clicking, clunking, and rumbling sound from below the drivers feet or from the front drivers wheel. I removed the electric transfer case motor and no more noises. I'm in only rear wheel drive until I can come up with the $2500 for another transfer case.
Would this still happen with the jeap in neutral? Check out video and lmk what ya think. Anybody... Please!?!?!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
That sounds like a lifter starting to fail. My original motor had some kind of oiling problem that starved one bank of lifters of full oil flow. After putting 3 sets of lifters in it, only to have the problem come back every time, I had a new short block installed and it's been fine ever since.

Yours sounds like the very beginning of the oiling problem. Mine got to the point of almost all of the lifters making a lot of noise, but it never lost power, and the noise would go away at anything above idle speed. If your noise goes away with higher than idle rpm, I'd wait until it make more noise before worrying about it. But, if that really is what your problem is, the only way to cure it is to either have the engine torn down and cleaned out, or replace it with it with a new short block (if that's the same problem I had).

Hope that helps.

Eric

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Eric but the clunking I had was definitely the transfer case but I did have a set of lifters stick on me at about 85k miles and lost a head and a piston but other than that the car runs great after the rebuild. Trying to keep her going until I can go with a 426 supercharger setup!!!! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
IM not sure If my case is the same as all in this discussion. I have a 2013 Jeep SRT8, if i go over small speed bumps or uneven road i hear a small thumping (annoying) sound coming from the front suspension. Im not sure if shocks or bushings... I have no idea. Luckily "Beast mode" is under warranty, I just don't know how to explain for the servicing where to check.

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts
IM not sure If my case is the same as all in this discussion. I have a 2013 Jeep SRT8, if i go over small speed bumps or uneven road i hear a small thumping (annoying) sound coming from the front suspension. Im not sure if shocks or bushings... I have no idea. Luckily "Beast mode" is under warranty, I just don't know how to explain for the servicing where to check.
Sounds like either the front sway bar bushings or a front diff bushing on your rig man.

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts

·
Contributing Member
4,583 Posts
I had a clunking/pop, but mine was my steering shaft. I was curious to know what this one was??

Crazy how one sound can be so many things.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 22 Posts