Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys first I did a search and didn't find anything that helps.

So, in the process of installing a V3 kit and having fitting issues. How many of you guys had to cut your fan shroud? Mine wouldn't fit without doing it (it also says to do it in the manual) also one of the two big hoses doesn't fit right either. Mine are black rather than blue (not that it matters right?) and the shorter 2.75" let's call it a 90deg hose is too short to fit nicely. Anyone else have issues like this? If I try to force it to line up better the reservoir cap thing sits way too high making it very hard to close the hood. If I keep it low the 90deg elbow is a touch too short to fit right. It looks like it needs a perfect 90 with about 3 inches on either side to fit right. Anyone else have or hear of issues? Man so many little headaches holding me back. I had to second guess a few times with these instructions because they also say a "fuel pump" comes with the kit and of course my mechanic read through all 9 pages or however many there were and called panicked wondering what happened to the supplied pump lol. I had to explain the boost a pump was the only thing needed with the injectors and map sensor.
Man this gets frustrating lol. Hard to believe all the stuff I bought doesn't fit right or is different from everyone else's it seems. Really sucks because one expects when they buy a kit that it fits and the instructions are specific to the make and model. Anyone have any issues with how the kit fits at all?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Sorry to hear about all this. Hopefully someone with a Vortech will have some advice.

·
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
8,565 Posts
Don't have one but I think I remember reading in the past about having to notch the hood liner for clearance. Hope you get it figured out.

Jim

·
Spinning aint winning!!
1,038 Posts
I have the vortech kit and had no fitment issues at all I also installed it myself. It does come with a new fuel pump in addtion to the boost a pump. And you have to drop the tank and modify ther fuel canister also grind down a flat spot on the top of the canister and drill a hole it's all in the directions. Honestly I thought it was one of the easier vortech kits to install as there a lot of room in our engine bays and you dont have to mess with the power steering lines at all. My power cooler cap does rub the hood inslation slightly but nothing serious.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the vortech kit and had no fitment issues at all I also installed it myself. It does come with a new fuel pump in addtion to the boost a pump. And you have to drop the tank and modify ther fuel canister also grind down a flat spot on the top of the canister and drill a hole it's all in the directions. Honestly I thought it was one of the easier vortech kits to install as there a lot of room in our engine bays and you dont have to mess with the power steering lines at all. My power cooler cap does rub the hood inslation slightly but nothing serious.
A new fuel pump? What??????
That can't be. Nowhere in any of the kit descriptions I have read say anything about getting a fuel pump with the full kit. This is exactly what is says that comes with it.
* Fuel system upgrade includes larger fuel injectors and a 2 bar MAP sensor.
* (6.1L system also includes a fuel pump voltage booster assembly)

See, it says nothing about a pump with it. What's going on here? Can someone else chime in here? Do I need to go out and buy a fuel pump for this "complete kit"? Help please! Does anyone know? My kit did not come with a fuel pump, just a boost a pump (with injectors and map sensor) and I thought that was all I needed for the Vortech V3 kit. Please can someone shed some light? I thought those pump mods they speak of in the manual are got other applications. Otherwise why would they sell the kits as "all you'll need to run the supercharger" then say you have to buy a new fuel pump and modify it? Makes no sense. Can someone clear this up before I do something crazy to myself. Now I'm REALLY stressed.

·
Marathon Man
3,229 Posts
I have the black hoses and my fan shroud isn't notched. Do you have a TB spacer? I've had my hoses off and on a few times and they always lined up perfectly. I can tell you that the passenger side engine cover is missing on my install. I guess that is for extra space so the cap doesn't hit the hood. I take my medic hood off for the winter months and my stock hood underside isn't all ripped up like I've seen on other vortech installs.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
A new fuel pump? What??????
That can't be. Nowhere in any of the kit descriptions I have read say anything about getting a fuel pump with the full kit. This is exactly what is says that comes with it.
* Fuel system upgrade includes larger fuel injectors and a 2 bar MAP sensor.
* (6.1L system also includes a fuel pump voltage booster assembly)

See, it says nothing about a pump with it. What's going on here? Can someone else chime in here? Do I need to go out and buy a fuel pump for this "complete kit"? Help please! Does anyone know? My kit did not come with a fuel pump, just a boost a pump (with injectors and map sensor) and I thought that was all I needed for the Vortech V3 kit. Please can someone shed some light? I thought those pump mods they speak of in the manual are got other applications. Otherwise why would they sell the kits as "all you'll need to run the supercharger" then say you have to buy a new fuel pump and modify it? Makes no sense. Can someone clear this up before I do something crazy to myself. Now I'm REALLY stressed.
I think the original kits came with injectors, boost a pump, and map sensor....

I believe the kits they are selling now come with the fuel pump.

My jeep ran fine with the v3 kit without the fuel pump upgrade.

You issues are fitment issues...

How old is the kit? Did you just buy it?

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the original kits came with injectors, boost a pump, and map sensor....

I believe the kits they are selling now come with the fuel pump.

My jeep ran fine with the v3 kit without the fuel pump upgrade.

You issues are fitment issues...

How old is the kit? Did you just buy it?
I bought it a couple months ago off of a guy who bought it a couple months before that so it's pretty new. He never installed it, it was all brand new and he got it from Tim at Modular Depot.
I've actually been having a hell of a time trying to get a hold of Tim as he sent me my base Vortech tune weeks ago and soon I will have it loaded in the jeep and im sure I'll need to have it tuned plenty more but he hasn't answered any emails for over the last two weeks now.
So I CAN run the kit without a new fuel pump? Thank God! That would be crushing. I'm glad I only have a fitting issue now.... Jeez.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
I bought it a couple months ago off of a guy who bought it a couple months before that so it's pretty new. He never installed it, it was all brand new and he got it from Tim at Modular Depot.
I've actually been having a hell of a time trying to get a hold of Tim as he sent me my base Vortech tune weeks ago and soon I will have it loaded in the jeep and im sure I'll need to have it tuned plenty more but he hasn't answered any emails for over the last two weeks now.
So I CAN run the kit without a new fuel pump? Thank God! That would be crushing. I'm glad I only have a fitting issue now.... Jeez.
Yes, The original kits didn't come with a fuel pump. I would log some runs and send them to a tuner for review. ( I use Jerseyboy) Monitor your A/F ratio too. Do you have a gauge?

The powercooler would also hit the under side of my hood as well.

For the best answer to the fuel pump question is to call Vortech directly...1-805-247-0226, Just ask for tech support.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the black hoses and my fan shroud isn't notched. Do you have a TB spacer? I've had my hoses off and on a few times and they always lined up perfectly. I can tell you that the passenger side engine cover is missing on my install. I guess that is for extra space so the cap doesn't hit the hood. I take my medic hood off for the winter months and my stock hood underside isn't all ripped up like I've seen on other vortech installs.
No I have no mods at all actually, certainly no TB spacer. I'll see if I can get him to take pictures...

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, The original kits didn't come with a fuel pump. I would log some runs and send them to a tuner for review. ( I use Jerseyboy) Monitor your A/F ratio too. Do you have a gauge?

The powercooler would also hit the under side of my hood as well.

For the best answer to the fuel pump question is to call Vortech directly...1-805-247-0226, Just ask for tech support.
Yep I have a wideband and boost gauge and I know how to datalog but Tim said he would do the tube for me, he's just vanished the last few weeks. Thanks for the help, I can't tell you how crushing and scary it was to read about the pump thank God I can get by without one and just the KB boost a pump.

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
No issues at all here ...

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No issues at all here ...
Lol just kickin butt and takin names huh? Lol j/k hopefully these issues will be gone and I'll have my ride back in order. Man I miss it! Yeah I'm not sure why it doesn't want to fit nicely. Like I said I'll try to get some photos...

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
Here's a shot of mine hoses ..

·
Marathon Man
3,229 Posts
^ +1

Pretty much how mine looks. I have plenty of room between the hose and fan shroud.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's a shot of mine hoses ..

That looks very nice, I wish mine fit that well. I wonder if it's the K & N cold air kit making it sit different or something? That's one thing I see that's different from most. My air filter that came with it stretches down to the passenger front to grab cooler air and everyone else seems to be using the short mesh covered filter on the blower. Maybe not a good idea???

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^ +1

Pretty much how mine looks. I have plenty of room between the hose and fan shroud.
Mine was just touching, he tried for hours to make it work though. I wonder if it's the cold air filter set up?

·
Marathon Man
3,229 Posts
Mine was just touching, he tried for hours to make it work though. I wonder if it's the cold air filter set up?
I have the stock vortech air filter/elbow that goes down behind the front bumper.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have the stock vortech air filter/elbow that goes down behind the front bumper.
Weird. Well maybe that's not it either. Hmmm.....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts