Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 with 37k on it..few days ago I was on highway at 60 mph when I heard a loud rattling noise..thought it was just a rock.. at intersection later while accelerating and only on gas 1/4 inch I heard a clicking/ticking noise from under the jeep..I can only hear it at very light accelration and only when the car is in drive..nothing in neutral, park or reverse. It happens at any speed. I have no performace liss and also happens when slowing down under 10 mph..it sounds like something with drive shaft..please help me asap

· Registered
782 Posts
Dont want to scare you, but sounds like your Transfere case might be acting up. I had to replace mine out of pocket @ 42,000. Try a fluid change b/c i have heard of that fixing some TC problems. Also could be somethign stupid like the electric motor on the transfere case. It was my entire TC when i heard what sounded like rocks hitting the bottom of the jeep on acceleration.

· Registered
1,249 Posts
You've owned it since new and never heard the noise before ? I'd say get your t-case checked out as well. Should have changed your fluid out by now if you havent already.

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was changed once at dealer at 20k..now have 37k..I was at local mechanic..it ended up being drive shaft.. something is loose inside it.bearing or something..is this possible? We had it on lift and took turns sitting in it and hitting gas slightly..the noise is coming from midway through closer to rear diff..only at slight throttle. Anyway he ordered me a remanufactured one at $600 and installing that and r1 rotors and stoptechs for $200 labor..he is also letting me do all my fluids while doinhe is doin brakes..both diffs, tcase and engile oil all for free + fluids I'm bringing..feedabck on driveshaft

· Registered
782 Posts
Awesome if you were able to solve your problem and it wasn't the T-C. I have never heard of a driveshaft being the culprit of noises or failing on our stock jeeps, unless you are pushing some serious HP! Def keep us posted to the results.

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the noise is coming from inside the driveshaft near the rubber boot. Its closer to the rear diff...asked around and was told that the teflon spline inside that boot might be cracked or needs grease..the boot itself isn't ripped or torn..how tha f××k does this happen. All I have is borla and cai..not excessive power..

· Banned
1,577 Posts
My front drive shaft went on me with just Cai intake tune

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got 2nd opinion..thank god I did..rear diff tooth chipped causing noise..I'm at place now and gettin it fixed..hopefully won't cost too much

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.