Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have posted a question regarding belt part number but no one was able to help

but this is really killing me, it is soooo loud, it makes me embarrassing everywhere I go

the current belt I have supplied from Mag is Dayco 5060990.

I am not 100% for sure whether it is a belt issue or pulley issue, but my tech is assuming it is a belt problem. his thought is that smooth side of the belt is slipping against belt tension-er and causing noise, because when he applied some grease on the smooth side, the noise went away, but as soon as the heat dried the belt, noise came back on.

so he thinks by replacing this dayco to gates Green belt, it could solve the problem.

BUT after reading some info here and there, usual squeaking noise is cause the tension of the belt, and I kind of agree because the noise completely disappear on the full load or when sc start to spin!!

but I am not professional mech and I have to listen to experienced guys

do you guys have any thoughts on this issue? and do you guys know what Gates Green belt is comparable with my current set up?

Please help me out, I am getting crazy

thanks

·
BlaBlaBla
5,216 Posts
I've never had a noise issue. I did however have an alinement issue. Make sure your belt is riding straight on all pulleys.
I'm no mechanic, but I can't imagine that putting grease on a belt of any kind for any reason is something you should do.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have covered this before. I have had the same problem with no help from Magnuson. You have a idler pulley that is out of alingment by a small bit. It needs spaced forward.

I have also posted the part number for a gates green stripe belt which is a better belt to run.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got It!

Thanks Chance

·
Registered
61 Posts
My tech had to shim my maggie pulley rite out of the box. I ditched the OEM belt tensioner and I'm using the Bwoody belt tensioner. As well I'm still using the belt that came with the Maggie kit and no noises besides my Arrington Cai whistling at me! Lol.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your support guys..

I have tried belt dressing and the noise was gone, but again it came back once it was all worn out..

so today I got my belt changed it to Gate's Green HD belt and did dayco new tension-er as well just to be safe

and it is completely gone, I hope this will last long and belt is aligned properly..

I will keep my eye on it..

** I guess there were few people had same issue, and wondering why mag is still sending same belt

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
I have covered this before. I have had the same problem with no help from Magnuson. You have a idler pulley that is out of alingment by a small bit. It needs spaced forward.

I have also posted the part number for a gates green stripe belt which is a better belt to run.
i need to replace the 2 idler pulleys. do you know where can i buy them?

·
Super Moderator
11,003 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
would someone place the gates green belt part number?
thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts