Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a 2010 srt8 a few months ago, and the last 2 days i've noticed a few problems, please help me if you can, im new to this site and its my first jeep...

1. When I'm stopping, just before the jeep comes to a complete stop (that last second of the stopping force) it feels like the drivetrain (maybe transfer case) is loose and sliding forward and it feels like it pulls the entire jeep more forward... ??? I only have 15,000miles on it

2. When im idling and i turn the wheel almost all the way to the left or right and i'm reversing, it makes a grinding noise (from the power steering) and the RPM's go really low like 400-500??

but if i give it gas, it doesn't make any noise and sounds great?!?!?!?!

3. At night i'll turn my lights on and the lights that illuminate your shifter letters (P, R, N, Drive, and the + and -) signs are flickering on and off. It doesn't do it all the time but often enough?? is it just an electrical surge?? that should be covered under warranty im assuming...

4. When the engine is cold and I fire it up, if i put it in Reverse and drive right away without warming it up, i'll get the occassional big puff of black smoke from the exhaust. It only does it once and a while. I changed the oil when i bought it and used the 0w40 mobile 1, and i've only drive 1500 miles or less. Recently i checked the oil and it needed about 3/4 of a quart of oil, it shouldn't be burning any oil in my opinion, high perforance or not.....

the dealer said its normal because the computer remembers the way it was driven before it was shut off and has to adjust once it starts back up. and because it a high performance vehicle....

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, i have 1 year and 3 months left on the warranty....

The last time I brought it in, the lights on the shifter didn't mess up so they did nothing (big surprise)

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
just bought a 2010 srt8 a few months ago, and the last 2 days i've noticed a few problems, please help me if you can, im new to this site and its my first jeep...

1. When I'm stopping, just before the jeep comes to a complete stop (that last second of the stopping force) it feels like the drivetrain (maybe transfer case) is loose and sliding forward and it feels like it pulls the entire jeep more forward... ??? I only have 15,000miles on it
Normal they all do that :D

2. When im idling and i turn the wheel almost all the way to the left or right and i'm reversing, it makes a grinding noise (from the power steering) and the RPM's go really low like 400-500??

Maybe your Pump is out . but you have a warranty correct ?

3. At night i'll turn my lights on and the lights that illuminate your shifter letters (P, R, N, Drive, and the + and -) signs are flickering on and off. It doesn't do it all the time but often enough?? is it just an electrical surge?? that should be covered under warranty im assuming...

Warranty will take care of that

4. When the engine is cold and I fire it up, if i put it in Reverse and drive right away without warming it up, i'll get the occassional big puff of black smoke from the exhaust. It only does it once and a while. I changed the oil when i bought it and used the 0w40 mobile 1, and i've only drive 1500 miles or less. Recently i checked the oil and it needed about 3/4 of a quart of oil, it shouldn't be burning any oil in my opinion, high perforance or not..... Puff of smoking while driving ??????

the dealer said its normal because the computer remembers the way it was driven before it was shut off and has to adjust once it starts back up. and because it a high performance vehicle....

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, i have 1 year and 3 months left on the warranty....

The last time I brought it in, the lights on the shifter didn't mess up so they did nothing (big surprise)

·
Daily Driver..........
1,837 Posts

i would check power steering fluid

sounds like a short inthe shifter assembly, i took mine apart a few weeks ago and the 2 little wires for the lighting barely reach the connector. like max said, warranty should take care of it

4. When the engine is cold and I fire it up, if i put it in Reverse and drive right away without warming it up, i'll get the occassional big puff of black smoke from the exhaust. It only does it once and a while. I changed the oil when i bought it and used the 0w40 mobile 1, and i've only drive 1500 miles or less. Recently i checked the oil and it needed about 3/4 of a quart of oil, it shouldn't be burning any oil in my opinion, high perforance or not.....
black smoke sounds like a problem, blue smoke is normal every so often

you are still under warranty got to the dealer

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
power steering fluid is full, the smoke will only come out for a second, its like a little cloud just when you first start it up and drive right away, then it goes away, my mechanic said its because they run rich at start up when cold?!?!?!

·
Daily Driver..........
1,837 Posts
the smoke at startup is normal. i get that every once in a while. i recommend you get predator or trinity and run a canned tune to get a good idea of what your rig can do.

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
power steering fluid is full, the smoke will only come out for a second, its like a little cloud just when you first start it up and drive right away, then it goes away, my mechanic said its because they run rich at start up when cold?!?!?!
Normal ................

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
Reactions: wesclark_

·
Daily Driver..........
1,837 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts