Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody please explain what the Johan / Jersey Boy tunes are and how it works in simple terms? Is this associated with the Diablo devices? If so, how specifically? I've been searching around a bit, but keep running into false hits on the keywords. If there's already a thread out there explaining how it work, please send URL. Any pros/cons compared to the pre-canned tunes within the inTune? What's needed to get one of these going? Thoughts/recos? Thanks for taking the time to 'splain it.

·
Super Moderator
10,954 Posts
You pay them. You send them an original tune from your Diablo device. They create a tune specific to your Jeep. Then you put it into your Diablo device and load it into your Jeep. Datalog it and send a log back. They modify more and so on and so forth

Canned tunes are a general safe tune usable in most near stock Jeeps

·
Live For Today!!!
1,053 Posts
You pay them. You send them an original tune from your Diablo device. They create a tune specific to your Jeep. Then you put it into your Diablo device and load it into your Jeep. Datalog it and send a log back. They modify more and so on and so forth

Exactly. And please for the love of God don't ask who is better.

·
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
8,565 Posts
I just got an intune today for my wife's & installed one of the canned tunes on my way to work. F me is hers fast now, I smoked em all the way through first & chipped 2nd to 3rd.

Jim

·
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
Found this on another forum:

The Diablo Predator is a handheld unit with 3 "canned" tunes in it. The general public can buy this tool and go home and install 1 of the tunes in the handheld to his/her car. They can then do what is called "Quick Adjust" to that tune. Some examples of Quick Adjust are: Add fuel at different RPM ranges, Add Timing to different RPM ranges, Raise or lower idle RPM, Adjust shift points and raise Rev limiters. Adjust tire size, and turn your fans on at different temps. All of the above are straight out of the box and anyone can use them. Depending on your individual motor and needs some or all of these can be used.

Now heres what you cant do with the handheld. Injector scaling, Part throttle tuning of both bank 1 and bank 2 VE tables. "Absolutely essential for a Cam'd/Head daily driver" Adjust Knock sensor sensitivity, Throttle tip in,
TQ managment levels, part throttle timing tables, the list goes on and on.

Another myth is that you can get a FULL CMR tune in 1 hr with 3 dyno pulls.
If you purchased a Diablo Predator from a vendor and was told it comes with a CMR tune/3 dyno pulls for 400-500.00 you were mislead. The Diablo cost at least 325.00 and for 175.00 your certainly not getting a CMR tune.
If you were straped to the dyno for 3 pulls and had the handhelp used for quick adjust then you were NOT CMR tuned.

Another quick and easy way to tell if indeed you have a Custom CMR tune is to plug in your predator, After boot up choose perf tune, Next choose "Custom Tunes" there should be a tune in there with a name your CMR tuner named it. If there is nothing in "Custom Tunes" then your rolling with a canned tuned with or without Quick Adjustments. In my custom tunes I have tunes that are named "HoP 1.94 31008". So if you cant get to the "Custom tunes" cause it doesnt come up when you choose Perf tunes then its because there isnt a custom tune written to your predator. Proof you have no Custom CMR tune.
EDIT: Although you can upload a "canned" tune to your computer and then re save it to your predator and it will show up under custom tunes. I would assume though if you did this you would already no that it isnt a true "FULL CUSTOM CMR TUNE" but rather your own saved canned tune.

The custom tunes come from your tuners laptop/Desktop computer. There created from templates in the software and they are tweaked per your motor and then saved to the computer and then transfered to the predator and then transfered to your car via the Diablo Predator Handheld. These "Custom tunes" can also be Quick Adjusted. Which would come up in the handheld under "Custom tunes" for example. "HoP 1.94 31008 plus quick adjusts".

To create a new tune from a template and tweak it to the point the cars running great takes alot of time/effort. Its not just this or that. Its a little of this and a little of that and a dyno, and then its repeated untill all parameters are running as they should.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...You send them an original tune from your Diablo device....Then you put it into your Diablo device and load it into your Jeep...Datalog it and send a log back. ...

Thanks Chad!

So it sounds like the "tune" is something that can be exported, tweaked, and later imported, to/from the device? Say if I purchased a new inTune, there is something that needs to be exported first and then passed back and forth?? Does it replace one of the canned ones or are there additional slots for custom tunes like these? Sounds like a file of some sort? ...and...does Datalogging require only the inTune device and/or a laptop hookup as well. Sorry for the questions, I'm trying to figure out the pieces involved and the lingo. Thanks.

How big of a performance increase can be realized between a canned tune (say the inTune 93 octane w/ CAI) and one of these custom tunes... it appears they're popular based on everybody's signature lines, but is there data or anecdotal evidence that there's a big jump going to the custom Johan/Jersey tunes, or are people chasing small improvements on the track? Thanks again!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found this on another forum:
Thanks for the details! Its starting to become more clear. I assume inTune is going to be similar to the Predator device since its the replacement.

·
Vendor
5,595 Posts
Thanks Chad!

So it sounds like the "tune" is something that can be exported, tweaked, and later imported, to/from the device? Say if I purchased a new inTune, there is something that needs to be exported first and then passed back and forth?? Does it replace one of the canned ones or are there additional slots for custom tunes like these? Sounds like a file of some sort? ...and...does Datalogging require only the inTune device and/or a laptop hookup as well. Sorry for the questions, I'm trying to figure out the pieces involved and the lingo. Thanks.

How big of a performance increase can be realized between a canned tune (say the inTune 93 octane w/ CAI) and one of these custom tunes... it appears they're popular based on everybody's signature lines, but is there data or anecdotal evidence that there's a big jump going to the custom Johan/Jersey tunes, or are people chasing small improvements on the track? Thanks again!

Yup, files go back and forth between you and the respective tuner, who will be creating and building your custom tune based off of your datalogs from your vehicle, they will not replace the canned tunes, they will be in a separate folder, intune has tons of memory so you have nothing to fear there either. Datalogging only requires the device to be hooked up to the vehicle, then you run it over to the PC, hook it up, send off the file to the tuner.

·
Super Moderator
10,954 Posts
Thanks Chad!

When you plug in the Diablo device it makes you save your original tune no matter what tune you use. If you go custom, you will email that file to the tuner of your choice. He will modify it to what mods you have and send it back. You will then load that new tune into your Diablo device which can store more than one custom tune and load it into your Jeep. The Diablo device will still have your original tune stored in it if it has to go back to stock.

Only one way to find out if the increases are worth the extra money is to get one but if you have done enough reading you know it is a better choice than the canned tunes. That's why you see them in everyone's signature.

An intune is the replacement for the Predator.

·
Just trying to go Fast
17,143 Posts
After tuning customers Jeeps with a Pred, Trinity, and InTune.... all from Diablo by the way.... I'd get a Trinity all day long. IMO, the extra money for the Trinity is worth it's weight in gold. I was sadly really disappointed with the InTune.

·
Premium Member
3,838 Posts
Up here the best I could run bone stock was 14.4. After a bwoody intake and custom tune( haven't datalogged it with Johan yet) I ran a 13.61. I know there is a bit more there with some fine tuning. The biggest difference is the shifting. Btw that is at 2300 ft on a warm humid night.

·
Snail On Board
4,365 Posts
Love the Trinity. Night and day difference with the ability to fine tune with AFR input.

·
Registered
484 Posts
anybody know which canned tune to select on the "intune" for BEST/HIGHEST performance? I'm running a Mopar CAI/catchcan and have access to high quality 93 octane. I'm not seeing one that says "CAI 93 octane tune".

Once I get my Magnaflow HF cats and catback exhaust I'll look into a custom tune from one of our guys

·
Super Moderator
10,954 Posts
anybody know which canned tune to select on the "intune" for BEST/HIGHEST performance? I'm running a Mopar CAI/catchcan and have access to high quality 93 octane. I'm not seeing one that says "CAI 93 octane tune".

Once I get my Magnaflow HF cats and catback exhaust I'll look into a custom tune from one of our guys
I believe the 93 CAI tune is now called the performance tune or something along those lines.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts