Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What You'll Need:

-(4) Spray cans of Plasti-Dip (which ever color you decide to choose - I personally chose Black).
-Cue Cards (I got a 100 Pack - Used around 25 each rim)
-Degreaser/soap & water to clean rims
-Terry Cloth to dry the rims up
-Jack/Jack stands

Process:

1. Begin with taking the rims off your car.

2. Clean your rims properly and make sure to get all the road grime off so that the Plasti-Dip can easily adhere to the rims. I used a degreaser first and then soap and water. You can just use soap and water.

3. Dry the rims up properly and assure that they are completely dry.

4. Begin to put the cue cards around the rims between the tires and rims so that your tires don't get Plasti-Dip on them.

5. Begin spraying your rims. While spraying you want to keep the spray can about 12-16 inches away from the rim as stated on the back label of the can. You want to put an even coat of Plasti-Dip on the rims. The first coat should be heavy coat and then do light coats. Also at times it goes on like crap but after it dries it looks fine.

6. Wait at least 30-40 minutes between coats (sometimes that may not be enough - make sure the rims do not look watery). You are going to need at least three coats. Two coats is not enough to cover your rims properly at times. Each coat on all rims will typically use up one can. I also put one heavy coat on the back of the rim.

7. After your done all three coats give the rims at least 3-4 hours to dry up prior to putting it back on the car. (I put it on after 2 hours and went for a drive and it was fine) Just let them dry in the sun.

At $5 a can you cant go wrong.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here are the pic's and process

Plasti Dip -

Cleaned Rim -

Placed cue cards around rims -

First coat nice and heavy -

Third coat -

And the finished product -

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Did you do the inside of the rim?
I did and used about 7 total cans of plastidip. Did light coats and first and then went heavy. 3 toal coats on my wheels and that was that. No waiting in between coats for me cause I did two wheels at a time. It gave ample time for the first coat to dry. It worked for me.
PS. don't have to mask the wheels/tires, just spray it. when it dries up just peel it off. A lot faster process. IMO.

Plastidip is the sh!t.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Just peel it off when you don't like it anymore. It is not permanent you can remove it anytime you want. They have several colors to choose from as well. So pick whichever you like.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah l did 3 coats on the outside and 1 heavy coat on the inside looks good.

·
Daily Driver..........
1,837 Posts
where did you buy the plasti dip?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They have it in home depot and lowes

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
I might need to try this out. Looking good.

·
The ModMan
5,764 Posts
Great! What I am interested in, is how good they hold up. I mean how quickly do they get chipped, road rash etc.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They have been holding up well, I have driven to Vermont & Baltimore from NYC. They had been through an earthquake, heat wave, hurricane Irene, NYC streets, and a pressure washer when cleaning the car. I did have a curb bash on the back wheel "dammm wife" and it was easily fixed with a couple of sprays of plasti-dip. So over all I'm pretty impressed. Not bad for $5 a can.

·
The ModMan
5,764 Posts
That's what I wanted to hear!

Will try this out for sure now on the truck rims. Truck is going to look mean, completely black lol.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Great idea using the index cards to mask off the wheels, I was going to do this to mine, started to use masking tape and news paper, got about 5 minutes in and threw in the towel, way too frustrating, and found a local powdercoater.

Two thumbs up for sure.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Can this be used on the side/rear molding as well? do you think it will cause problems with the back up sensors?

·
Registered
50 Posts
For those that have done this and have had it for some time, how is it when washing or the rims? I assume nothing as always abrasive. Apporximatly how long does this last?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts