Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Team Hellcat
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
WK1 SRT Jeep's
This was for my 2007 Jeep that I sold.

Thought I would share a few tips on how to lower your 1/4 mile times. .500 for FREE! Maybe .80 or more!!! :)

Remove Weight!
We have a 21 gallon fuel tank so only race with about 4 gallons in the tank. I race with the needle just above empty and the Low Fuel light on. Gas weighs 6 lbs per gallon so this alone will knock off 102 pounds.
I use 100 octane unleaded race gas.

Remove all the weight that you can:
Rear seat (2 pcs) bottom 25 lbs + rear seatback 70 lbs = 95 lbs (It is harder to remove the 1st time because of locktite on bolts)
Kicker dual subs 60 lbs
Pass seat 54 lbs
Front sway bar 30 lbs
Rear cargo area floor and sound deadner mat 25 lbs
Strut Tower Brace 8 lbs
Rear cargo box 7 lbs
Rear privacy cover and cargo net 6 lbs
Floor mats 4 lbs
Dash panel under steering wheel 4 lbs

You can remove all this at the track by hand and cordless impact wrench.

293 lbs...... plus minus 17 gallons gas in tank 102 lbs
395 lbs Total weight reduction.

My best ET 12.26 @ 110 mph 1.68 60ft
MODS: Catch Can, 180 TS, AFE CAI with Ram Air mod, Johan tune and Mopar TCM
Stock Goodyear Run Flats @ 34psi
My local track is 600 feet above sea level and DA was around +600.

Optional
*Replace stock battery 48 lbs with light weight racing battery 17 lbs and loose 31 lbs $200
*Kirkey race seat (driver) 14 lbs can save 36 lbs vs stock seat 50 lbs $300 cost
You could remove the factory catback exhaust system 70 lbs (I Have not tried this yet) I did try this on my SRT Charger
Total weight reduction 532 lbs. total THIS IS WORTH 5 TENTHS! (1/2 second)

You can run 2 qts low on synthetic oil if you are trying for a personal best.
(for less crankshaft windage)

At The Track
Shallow stage at slight angle for more roll out (lower 60ft time)
Starting line RPM for my times (@ idle or 750 rpm) Flash the converter 1.68 60ft
Leave it in DRIVE and Traction Control ON.
When I get to the track I let it set for a 2 hours to cool down. (this is when I do my weight removal and prep)
I also put 5 bags of ice on the intake
I use the 25 cent fan mod and cool the engine down.
Pull the fuse or reset adaptives using tuner.
Phenolic Intake to Engine spacers would help (I had them on my SRT Charger)

I always remove my serpentine belt when I run. Do it on all my cars.
Been doing it for years.

Remove serpentine belt with special serpentine wrench. They sell them at Sears. Make sure you make a diagram of the belt routing.
THIS IS WORTH over 2 TENTHS! .25 exactly :D Proven at the track and on the dyno on both my SRT's. It feels like a different car!
There is a lot of tension on the belt and they drive a lot of accessories.
*Disclamer There are certain steps that you MUST follow if you are going to run with out the serpentine belt!*
Remember no AC, no power steering, no alternator (NO battery charging), NO water pump (overheating can cause hot spots in heads)
You have to keep the battery charged and the water temp low. ( Not such of a issue in colder temps. of Fall or Winter) I always let mine cool down for a couple hours with the intake iced. Use the 25 cent fan mod. You have to get the engine temp down as low as you can get it. You want to stage at no more than 135 degrees. At the end of the 1/4 mile it will be 175 degrees. I made the most Horsepower on the dyno at 175 degrees.

Take off the belt at the front of staging lanes and put it back on after you get your time slip.
You may have to push the Jeep in the staging lanes and turn the motor off on the return road,etc,etc
It's ~A LOT OF WORK~ doing everything, Especially in Hot summer temps. or in the dark racing at night)
But it's worth it to me. I've done it so many times I can remove and install in record times.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
:D Remove serpentine belt with special serpentine wrench THIS IS WORTH 3 TENTHS! :D
Proven at the track and on the dyno on both my SRT's.
*Disclamer There are certain steps that you MUST follow if you are going to run with out the serpentine belt!
Remember no alternator (no battery charging) no power steering, no water pump (overheating can cause hot spots in heads)
You have to keep the battery charged and the water temp low.
Take off the belt at the front of staging lanes and put it back on after you get your time slip.
You may have to push the Jeep in the staging lanes and turn the motor off on the return road,etc,etc
It's a lot of work doing everything, but its worth it to me.
For this one you can get an electric water pump but the little bast**ds are expensive. I'm looking forward to seeing what difference it makes at the track this year

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,142 Posts
It's about time for the tracks to open so I thought I would share a few tips on how to lower your 1/4 mile times. .500 for FREE! :)

REMOVE WEIGHT!
We have a 21 gallon fuel tank so only race with about 4 gallons in the tank. I race with the needle just above empty and the Low Fuel light on. Gas weighs 6 lbs per gallon so this alone will knock off 102 pounds.
I use 100 octane unleaded race gas.

Remove all the weight that you can:
Start with a clean and vacuumed interior and remove everything from under the seats, glovebox, console, etc. Remove radar detector also.

Replace stock battery 48 lbs with aftermarket light weight racing battery 17 lbs and lose 31lbs
*This is optional and is the only thing that is not free.

Strut Tower Brace 8 lbs
Pass seat 54 lbs
Rear seat (2 pcs) bottom 25 lbs + rear seatback 70 lbs = 95 lbs
Floor mats 4 lbs
Rear cargo box 7 lbs
Rear privacy cover and cargo net 6 lbs
You can remove all this @ the track with cordless impact wrench.

205 total..... plus minus 17 gallons gas in tank 102 lbs
307 lbs. TOTAL!

You can also get the Wix oil filter that holds 1 extra quart and run motor 2 qts low
(for less crankshaft windage)
Shallow stage at slight angle for more roll out (lower 60ft time)
Starting line RPM for my times are 100 rpm above idle or 850 rpm 1.69 60ft
When I get to the track I let it set for a 2 hours to cool down. ( this is when I do my weight removal and prep)
I also put 5 bags of ice on the intake
I use the 25 cent fan mod and cool the engine down to 135 degrees (I made the most HP on dyno at 175 degrees)

:D Remove serpentine belt with special serpentine wrench THIS IS WORTH 3 TENTHS! :D
Proven at the track and on the dyno on both my SRT's.
*Disclamer There are certain steps that you MUST follow if you are going to run with out the serpentine belt!
Remember no alternator (no battery charging) no power steering, no water pump (overheating can cause hot spots in heads)
You have to keep the battery charged and the water temp low.
It's a lot of work doing everything, but its worth it to me.

My ONLY mods are 185 TS, catch can, CAI with Ram Air mod and Toona.
Stock Run Flats @ 34psi
My local track is 600 feet above sea level and DA was around +600.

How much timing did you run on that 12.37 run with the 100 octane?

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
I agree with YM23....maybe take a hit of exlax about 30min prior to running. should drop a few pounds really fast !!

Reactions: Knuckles

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
awesome thread.....

try the oxygenated VP race gas next time......

tweak the tune just a hair more, and you'll be knocking on 11.999999999s....
....and try a sea level track in 30* weather if you can.

good write up!

I also whip my truck as much as possible on the way to staging. (be safe)
that is to get more heat into the tires,a nd contrary to pop opinions.
I inflate front tires to 50.....backs to 35.

pull front sway bar, and pull ABS fuse.

·
Team Hellcat
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I run it in drive (no auto stick) and with traction control on.
Not sure about timing. Johan just sent me my first revision. I have not loaded it yet.
He said it is more aggressive and he removed some of the torque management. I can't wait to try it!
BTW I'm a big guy (6'4" and 235lbs) so I need to find a jockey to shoe this thing! I always take a dump
when I get to the track.

Reactions: Knuckles

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
According to DA , That beats Wade times , one fast rig , but I think is the tuner he he

·
Team Hellcat
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Johan is awesome! What I'm most proud of is the 1.68 on stock Goodyear run flats!
I would love to get a 11.99. Hopefully I can catch some negative DA weather this spring. Our local tracks open up in 8 days.

·
Has Been
8,532 Posts
Wow great info thanks for sharing

·
Snail On Board
4,373 Posts
Interesting post. Enjoyed reading it. Thanks for your time and effort.

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,142 Posts
Not sure about timing. Johan just sent me my first revision. I have not loaded it yet.
He said it is more aggressive and he removed some of the torque management. I can't wait to try it!
BTW I'm a big guy (6'4" and 235lbs) so I need to find a jockey to shoe this thing! I always take a dump
when I get to the track.
Thanks man! I did not think that gutting the Jeep would make this much of a difference. I have never tried this and if I did it would have put me in the high 11's then.

Nice work!

·
Registered
2014 Jeep SRT
628 Posts
when I get to the track.
Sounds great man, how long did it take you to gut everything out?

also I know your pain, im 6'5 330 lmao...I'll be in the N/A 11sec club one day!

great write up!

·
Team Hellcat
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone! It doesn't take long to remove the weight.
Remember you pick up 3 tenths by removing all the weight.
Remove serpentine belt and pick up 3 more tenths. ;-)
total .60

·
Team Hellcat
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes...... 11.99 is my goal! Are you talking about the VP MS109 unleaded race gas?

awesome thread.....

try the oxygenated VP race gas next time......

tweak the tune just a hair more, and you'll be knocking on 11.999999999s....
....and try a sea level track in 30* weather if you can.

good write up!

I also whip my truck as much as possible on the way to staging. (be safe)
that is to get more heat into the tires,a nd contrary to pop opinions.
I inflate front tires to 50.....backs to 35.

pull front sway bar, and pull ABS fuse.

·
Registered
4 Posts
G'day All,
Firstly, thanks Mike for your tips on lowering et's, and also to all who put in to this info packed site here for these unique trucks we all enjoy, great job.
Had my first outing last night at Kwinana Motorplex Perth West Australia in our 08 JGC which I bought last Nov11, truck is basically stock except, cai with extra spoiler pickup, 180ts, fan reset, dumped a bit of weight, mats, reartub, junk but left in the seats and wasnt keen to run no serpbelt on its first outing. Ran 6 runs, mainly flat 13,with a best of [email protected], temp was 25.5C(78F), DA was 1428ft, 36%rh and 1.846 60'foot,056rt.
Am really happy with this time and feel theres a 12.8 in it on a better air night. I also ran the 93cai tune from the predator after 3 stock runs but even though it felt sharper it didnt really make alot of change in the et's. Would like to get it down to 12.5 with a custom tune if possible, so will try your resident tuner in the very near future once I get my head around this predator upload and download process.
Ultimately would like to fit a Vortech kit, maybe 8psi to crack into 11's but keep it streetable(this is my wifes shopping cart), I like the vortechs as have fitted a few to other vehicles and have ran one in my own older Mopar down the strip for many years now and found them to be very reliable. Thanks again for a great site, Cheers
Heres the vid,
http://youtu.be/HvravmLN_I8

·
Team Hellcat
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thats Funny! Thanks!
But if I remove my serp belt I wont have Boost! :( LOL Hmmmm..Maybe thats why Paulo went back to N/A.....hahaha! Good write up indeed..

·
Team Hellcat
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just added more weight reduction to Original Post.
Now up to 341 lbs.
Kirkey alum. racing drivers seat is next mod.

BTW I start my diet today.

Reactions: m4xm1l10n
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.