Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pedder's Geebung R the BEST

I bought a 2014 Jeep SRT last year, 15.000 kms and was not particularly happy with the handling, mainly the rear end which seemed to be having an internal war with itself, particularly doing U turns at any sort of speed, like at near the speed limit and flicking it around.
Few of the problems were a feeling of axle tramp, yes reminiscent of the old leaf spring set ups, wheel spin, diff chatter feel and a general feeling of instability.
Also, the rear end looked a bit jacked up.
After research and speaking to Brian at Pedder's Suspensions at Geebung in Brisbane, I decided to fit a set of King's lowered springs in the rear and leave the standard front springs.
By the measurements given to me by King's this would theoretically make the car sit level as the centre axle, lower guard measurement is the same front and rear. That is the King Springs only lower the rear and leave the front the same height, which is reasonable as I do not think the front needs to be lowered. Even though of this the car sits beautifully, still with a bit of rake to the front and looks so much better.
Pedders then must have spent an inordinate amount of time arriving at the best wheel alignment settings. The wheel alignment guy rang me a couple of times and from the sound of it tried at least three different settings till he was happy.
The results, an absolutely transformed vehicle that now has the handling to match the power and is a joy to drive.
The rear end is now working as a cohesive unit and feels so much more stable.

I actually said to Brian that I wondered if Jeep or the dealer had installed the wrong rear springs.

Here is the link for some extra photos.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ig8g20ciudukn/Jeep_SRT

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have King springs in mine

Front and rear

Suspension city in Melbourne supply and fit for $700, I paid $500

Cos they felt sorry for me that the Bwoody progressive springs I supplied for them to fit were shithouse

The fronts don't lower the car that much and the ride is great

Just like factory but slightly lowered

I had mine aligned at centerline in Melbourne who did a great job

Far better than local tyre places and laser slithers, these guys set up race cars and do it old school they also road test many many times, I supplied the Bwoody camber arms for them to fit if needed

When I went to pick it up I asked if they used the arms, the guy laughed and just said NO.

Not cos they weren't needed, but because they are no good, the black ops product is much better no only better construction but comes with the important toe arm as well

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That is interesting about the front springs because when I measured my front centre axle, lower guard measurement it was exactly the same measurement as the King's springs specification.

Wonder if King springs have tried the US market.

Did they have to modify your rear bump stops?

Have you had yours dynoed and if so was it worth it.

Yes, reiterating, I am very happy with my current suspension set up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What's you ride height measurements

I'll grab mine in the morning

The springs I'd say are perfect in sport and track modes

But I feel the rear could be initially a bit firmer in auto mode as it squats a bit under full throttle, more so than I noticed when it was standard

Didn't touch the rear bumpstops

But the front have been cut 10-15mm

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hub to guard

435 mm

$220.00 per pair Au Dollar, in US Dollar, $154.58 per pair.

Information straight from King's Springs, June 2015.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'll measure mine when i get home

Also Herrod have springs too

I believe they are made by King but to their own spec

Also they could quite possibly be the best available for the Jeep

Herrod have slight tweeks so they are a tiny bit lower and the rates are different

Unlike Bwoody the King springs are a true progressive variable rate spring that fit perfectly and operate just as OEM just s bit lower

·
Registered
32 Posts
Herrod

They are very well known in the ford tuning circles

They don't advertise much but they have lots to do with the Jeep

They have springs exhausts supercharger kits etc..

Their products are OE quality rather than obvious aftermarket

What's the measurement on the front of yours

Mines about what you said but 10mm lower front

Although car wasn't in a level surface to measure properly

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Will look them up.

Measurement previously taken, same as King's.

Actually, want to supercharge my Subaru Outback.

Was talking to Raptor, NQ, but I think he was just stuffing me around. Good price, $5,000.00 but All Bull, opposite to Pedder's, No Bull. Bullitt, GC, want double that at $10,000.00, too much for me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looked at the site, not a Jeep in sight.

From the photo of the guy, he should be in something the size of a Jeep, :).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yep his website is all ford, and even then it's not updated

They have supercharged several Chrysler 300's and his Jeep is the development vehicle for the kit

And tuned dozens more cars

On their Facebook you can occasionally find a jeep or Chrysler

Why not turbo the Subaru, it'd be much easier using factory turbo bits...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts