Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fully built paramount trans, and mopar TCM. Basically under light throttle it shifts all gears by 1600-1800 rpms, so by like 40mph I'm already in 5th. Anyone else experience this? Shifts beautiful WOT, hard as hell and fast, just feel like I'm lugging the motor a lot, then once I'm going boost starts to kick in from the higher load. Just wondering if it's normal with this trans.

·
Premium Member
17,169 Posts
It has NOTHING to do with the transmission. The tranny is dumb as shit. It's the brains aka TCM that controls the tranny. Try resetting your adaptives, then go beat on it for a few pulls hard, then park it and let it idle for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, the TCM stores the adaptives into memory. That's one reason why I've been driving in Autostick for the last 3 years.:lol: I hate the way it drives in D. Autostick is just more fun.

·
Premium Member
5,792 Posts
It has NOTHING to do with the transmission. The tranny is dumb as shit. It's the brains aka TCM that controls the tranny. Try resetting your adaptives, then go beat on it for a few pulls hard, then park it and let it idle for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, the TCM stores the adaptives into memory. That's one reason why I've been driving in Autostick for the last 3 years.:lol: I hate the way it drives in D. Autostick is just more fun.
Thanks Harry!
Yep...the transmission is a dumb mechanical component that takes orders from the TCM which is a slave to the master PCM.
Try what Harrison suggests.
Do remember that the adaptives are only learned in drive.
Bill

·
Registered
857 Posts
yep harrison nailed it,,

cold engine... let idle for 2-3 min then drive light to moderate ,, what it wants is less than 1800rpm shifts ,, best to follow instructions, but remember it learn downshifts FIRST , so i always use auto stick so i can get 5th say 50mph ,, then i put in drive , then slow coast downs ,, 5th to 4th , 5 TIMES , then do the same but 4th to 3rd , THEN from a stop in "DRIVE AS BILL SAID"< drive till 1700 rpms and wait for the gears to change, above 1800 it will ignore,, its hardISH so go at night little traffic on a LOOOONG road ,,, if you got a converter like i do the adaptives arnt so adaptive and you will find it learns itself wrong again after a few months of soft driving , , and drives like a dog , now that im use to it i can do it on my way home from work ,, then its perfect and sporty for say 2000miles before its lazy ,,,

good luck man , !!!!

·
Registered
857 Posts
TCM doesn't learn in autostick, FYI.

i realise this bro, which is why i said , 'it learns coast downs first', so i use the stick to get to a 5th gear condition THEN switch it to 'drive' THEN do my coast down learn,,, i do this so it dont learn anything i dont want it to while gaining speed . ,,, think of it as a on and off learning switch, :)

besides it clearly states in instructions,,, "QUOTE" it may be difficult to obtain 5th gear 1800rpm shifts so you can use the stick to switch between 4th and 5th" ,,,
:rolleyes:

cheers bro

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.