Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
likely going to be purchasing a cf medic v1 hood from a member going to a v2 one. anyway, its got a couple things that i want taken to a body shop for and since im there im wondering what way to go about painting it...

do i say screw it, get it painted to match

do i say paint it to match and leave the cowls carbon

or do i say do the best you can do to make the carbon finish perfect and leave it all carbon?

i know theres a dude here with a SBM srt8 that had a custom masked/painted medic hood where the cowls were carbon...if anyone can bring that thread to my attention or at least the pictures thatd be awesome. i want to see how it looks again.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
My medic is being painted as we speak..two tone...hopefully I will pick it up Tom or Wednesday.. I will put up pics after I get it back

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright sounds awesome joe. i see youve had your hood for a while now. did you have any problems with it like i see a few people have had? stress cracks underneath my the mounts, misaligned gaps, not flush with fenders etc etc? just curious to see if this is worth the investment.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
i pretty happy with the hood, its not a perfect fit but you have to look to notice...Im having my hood lift taken off because it was too strong for the hood when you try to close it, it actually cracked under my under.. another reason why it is at the body shop...

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm yea ive heard about those struts...didnt realize til now why exactly they were bad.is there a weaker one to buy or a way to "damage" a factory strut to work well enough on these? or what are you going to do?

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,142 Posts
Paint the hood and leave the cowl CF.....This way it'll match your fenders.
++++ I think that would look nice on a Steel Blue as well bro!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
like this? or paint leave the outer and inner sides of the cowls carbon too?

not my picture...found it from AVG's thread. thanks ;)

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hardy har har lol. Hbu joe aka the master of cosmetic miss...what should I
do with the paint

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
hmm yea ive heard about those struts...didnt realize til now why exactly they were bad.is there a weaker one to buy or a way to "damage" a factory strut to work well enough on these? or what are you going to do?
I am removing my hood strut, some people buy older weaker ones so it is easier to put the hood down. Worst case you need to use 2 hands to close the hood from the strut side...

I painted my hood very similar to the photoshop picture..Hopefully I can get the pics up tonight!

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
Depends on what look overall u are shooting for. U want classy? Choppy? With a darker
Color truck its harder imo to get that choppy look. Its easier as astheticly better to try and keep it classy so i would colormatch it on ur truck. But like insaid it depends on whatelse ur gonna do to the outside. I like the clean look. But to me with silver like i have u can get the best of both worlds if u do it right. My vote is to keep it classy on urs and colormatch it. I dont think there will be enough contrast to bother with 2 tone.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ya I like the look a lot with the sides and inner parts untouched. Maybe even mask that center line too. I just don't want to have a cf hood totally painted that's too polish for me. Dry to insult the polacks here lol. A subtle strip here n there would look hot.

Anyone having trouble is have seen shops having. Hard time getting clean paint lines?

·
Premium Member
7,299 Posts
If they use a good tape for masking there shouldn't be any issues with a clean paint line. They also can make it to where you rub your hand across it and you don't feel the change at the lines.

I have clean smooth lines on my hood where this is:

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well you got yourself a reputable shop. me, not so much. i try em all til i find a good one that wont bend me over and rape me on the price. i really like the truck you posted. i need more pictures! moar moar! makes me more anxious to get this thing already.

just wondering what painting a hood costs these days. ( i talk like i was around in THOSE days lmao)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.