Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have replaced my radiator, my thermostat, and my fan. My jeep is still getting hot as hell! It seems fine in stop and go traffic. If I'm on cruise control in the freeway or giving it gas it doesnt matter, it gets hot quick. I'm at a loss. The oil even gets up to 264, thus causing the coolant system to heat up too. I dont understand why its happening or what to do. Please help. I need answers!

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Are you supercharged?
Is it with the AC on?
Have you changed the relays?

I am also chasing a cooling issue and have done all the same things. If you find an answer let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
What thermostat? Are you tuned ? I chased this issue awhile back with a 180 motorad, replaced relays, coolant temp sensor, and when I picked up a cheap 180 stant, it went away, I still replaced the fan, & upper hose but issue had gone away, I just picked up a 180 mishimoto from HHP just Incase

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
There are 2 relays that go bad, try changing those too. May also have a head gasket leak. Just ideas to look at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
So I have replaced my radiator, my thermostat, and my fan. My jeep is still getting hot as hell! It seems fine in stop and go traffic. If I'm on cruise control in the freeway or giving it gas it doesnt matter, it gets hot quick. I'm at a loss. The oil even gets up to 264, thus causing the coolant system to heat up too. I dont understand why its happening or what to do. Please help. I need answers!
What is hot as hell? 264 isn't too crazy for the oil.

Reactions: waumo

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
81 Posts
If I'm supposed to start a new chain let me know but since you guys are talking about coolant temps and overheating I wanted to chime in. Recently purchased a 2017 GC SRT. I notice after a brief time driving I can stand in front of the closed hood and feel a fair amount of heat. Opening the hood of course is even hotter. I'm coming from a GC Limited w/a 3.6 L engine so it could just be that there's a monster under the hood.
There is something dripping from under the middle of the car. Looks clear and doesn't smell like antifreeze. Under the hood it looks like something some sort of spill on the intake tubing, btwn the filter housing and the engine. And there is a faint smell of antifreeze. Coolant temp heats up quick to 201-204 sitting in the driveway. Is that normal? I did a remote start and it cut off so I'm not actually sure how long it ran in idle. I drove it home after purchase for ~2.5 hours and it didn't blow up. Have probably driven it 4 times total.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If I'm supposed to start a new chain let me know but since you guys are talking about coolant temps and overheating I wanted to chime in. Recently purchased a 2017 GC SRT. I notice after a brief time driving I can stand in front of the closed hood and feel a fair amount of heat. Opening the hood of course is even hotter. I'm coming from a GC Limited w/a 3.6 L engine so it could just be that there's a monster under the hood.
There is something dripping from under the middle of the car. Looks clear and doesn't smell like antifreeze. Under the hood it looks like something some sort of spill on the intake tubing, btwn the filter housing and the engine. And there is a faint smell of antifreeze. Coolant temp heats up quick to 201-204 sitting in the driveway. Is that normal? I did a remote start and it cut off so I'm not actually sure how long it ran in idle. I drove it home after purchase for ~2.5 hours and it didn't blow up. Have probably driven it 4 times total.
Stock thermostat is 203, so that’s normal temp for the coolant after it warms up. I want to say it’s about 15 min after remote start that it turns off, maybe 20? The heat from the hood is fine, look to your oil and coolant temps for health checks. I believe when I was stock it would get to 221 oil temp under normal driving in hottest conditions, 230-40s under some spirited driving. 180 thermostat made a huge difference after supercharging and modding. Coolant sits at 190 and haven’t seen above 235 oil temp on the 426 procharged with wrapped headers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks very much for your input. I'm very excited about the car. I had a Dodge Magnum R/T for almost 10 years and a GC Limited 3.6L before this. Good to be back. In the very little driving I've done the past 2-3 days I have had Beamers, Acuras, Hondas, etc. speed past me, leapfrog me in a lane, etc. So it begins....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks buddy! The only thing I did on the Magnum (2005) was a RevHammer CAI. Improved my gas mileage. Well, head unit and Kicker solobaric 15's also. With this one I'm planning a CAI at some point, and the Billet oil/vapor catcher. The latter I read on here is a good idea for these cars. I don't want to do anything to rob MPG or make it too loud. I know the CAI will make it a little louder.

·
Registered
42 Posts
@bxcharger I'm thinking about how I can cross swap modern track hawk parts to my first gen srt8. What are some of updated performance parts from factory that were swapped into new generation???
The 8speed ZF8HP95 upgrade over zf8HP70 in SRT. Rear diff, axles, driveshaft, supercharger (obviously), manifolds and exhaust, non mds lifters... to name a few

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine does literally the same did you check you oil psi?

·
Registered
2006 JGCH 6.1 SRT8
66 Posts
Check to see if your fans are working. Low and high, also I just threw out a pos moderad 180 1 month old stuck closed I have a video of it on my YT channel. Went back to oem a tap out a tiny hole that brought it down to a 195 stat. But back to the point at had, and waterpump can be bad and a new stat can be bad I had both of these happen with my ride. First time I seen this in my 40 years wrenchin on the same vehicle. For what it worth.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You didnt burp the system happens to everyone or you used green antifreeze

1 - 18 of 18 Posts