Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts
Nice Wink!!!! Lets see how it performs on your Beast then!

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
Great Stuff Wink , Ass shit ain't the word man .. So you modified your own Basket With a dual Pump Wink ? Walbro ?

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice Wink!!!! Lets see how it performs on your Beast then!
Thanks Jose! The credit goes to RMCR for stepping up to the plate big time! Its pig rich right now (8.5 WOT) :eek: I'll get Toona some logs at the track tomorrow.

Great Stuff Wink , Ass shit ain't the word man .. So you modified your own Basket With a dual Pump Wink ? Walbro ?
Thanks Paulo! Yeah faced this morning with an unusable hat, Michael pulled out his bag-o-tricks. He's done similar 1000+ hp setups for GM's, but this is the first Jeep version. It's two Walbro 255 Type 340's. One's running off the OEM circuit and the other running off the BAP. He also found a kink in the fuel line that was restricting flow.

Beautiful man,glad you are up and running!
Thanks Jake! Yeah I've been going nuts not being able to punch it. But I've been so busy with work lately my mind's been distracted. Let's just say I punched it on the way home a few times. LOL!

Looking sweet Wink. Hope you get some times Wed.

Jim
Thanks Jim! I hope so, but tuning's my issue now. Just have tomorrow and next Wed to best my PB. Then the track closes for 5 months...

wink

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Nice!!! Can't wait to see how this works!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Wink, I had a very similar looking kink in my fuel line too. Found it while doing the heads/cam this weekend. Makes you wonder if we all have them. It appeared like mine may return to form under pressure, but I'm interesting in seeing what you are doing for an alternative (just getting another OEM hose or going with something else?)

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
I don't get it , why is he still run the BAP , If anything I want to scrap that thing no ??

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Thats what I was thinking.... have the two pumps connected to the same power source ... ditch the bap. Kind of defeats the purpose of dual pumps if a bap is still required IMO... unless you have biiiig power and need to increase the 2 pump output.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I think the hat is a great solution to the thirsty FI'd Jeeps.
The arrington kit does not say it fits jeeps anywhere in the description.
My only suggestion/recommendation is getting rid of that non-submersible fuel line & screw hoese clamps and replacing them with the correct components. Gates sells the right stuff manufactured specifically as submersible fuel hose (about $25 for 6")(ouch)

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/posts/tpi/446787-walbaro-intank-255lph-pump/3551159-post22.html

We've replaced a lot of failed swelled up hoses in 'others' fuel systems. Just my $.02 so you'll have trouble free operation.
Other than that. Looks like a great solution. Will the forum be seeing these for sale in the near future?

-Jim

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wink, I had a very similar looking kink in my fuel line too. Found it while doing the heads/cam this weekend. Makes you wonder if we all have them. It appeared like mine may return to form under pressure, but I'm interesting in seeing what you are doing for an alternative (just getting another OEM hose or going with something else?)
Interesting... We were speculating on how/when it could've happened. I wonder if anyone else has a kink? They replaced it. In fact they had it done before I could get a picture. But it was just letting enough fuel through to work until I added the intake and TB. Then it couldn't keep up no matter how many pumps.

I don't get it , why is he still run the BAP , If anything I want to scrap that thing no ??
Thats what I was thinking.... have the two pumps connected to the same power source ... ditch the bap. Kind of defeats the purpose of dual pumps if a bap is still required IMO... unless you have biiiig power and need to increase the 2 pump output.
Michael's not had a single failure with any of the new MSD stuff. The old stuff, yeah, it had lots of problems. But there's a couple of advantages to the way he did mine. One, redundancy. If one circuit|pump fails, for whatever reason, I'm still driving. Not on the side of the road waiting for a tow. Two, safety. Wiring both pumps together requires a heavier gauge harness to handle the increased draw and heat. Even the Arrington hat came with a replacement. Three, it offers more pressure over the two pumps alone. Perhaps overkill for a V3, but not for a YSi, and that's where I'm headed...

wink

·
Registered
746 Posts
Wink, Where exactly was the kink at in relation to the fuel line. Was it the line from the firewall to the fuel rail? Same question to you Paul where was your kink? I want to check mine to make sure I don't have one either.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Interesting. Valid points you make on it. Also, with the YSI in site for you, you will be needing bookoo fuel. So that makes sense.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think the hat is a great solution to the thirsty FI'd Jeeps.
The arrington kit does not say it fits jeeps anywhere in the description.
My only suggestion/recommendation is getting rid of that non-submersible fuel line & screw hoese clamps and replacing them with the correct components. Gates sells the right stuff manufactured specifically as submersible fuel hose (about $25 for 6")(ouch)

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/posts/tpi/446787-walbaro-intank-255lph-pump/3551159-post22.html

We've replaced a lot of failed swelled up hoses in 'others' fuel systems. Just my $.02 so you'll have trouble free operation.
Other than that. Looks like a great solution. Will the forum be seeing these for sale in the near future?

-Jim
Thanks Jim! You're correct about the description. However my tech talked to your tech that said he designed the hat. He was told what the application was and said yeah, no problem. Otherwise we would've never ordered it. He would've just done what he did yesterday and I wouldn't have missed two months of racing. Yeah I'm pissed, but I'm moving on with a better than planned solution IMO...

As to the correct components, I'm not worried. These guys have more builds, trophies, awards, and accolades under their belts than most. If Michael says it's good, and he did, I'm satisfied. But I did ask about the hose failures others have seen. They've never had a hose or other failure in their fuel systems. This ain't there first rodeo, just the first riding a Jeep... :rolleyes:

I don't believe he plans to market this item. It was a one off to solve my issue. However they do design and build many of their components in house, so who knows. I suppose if someone called them and wanted one he'd probably make one for them. Can't speak for him though.

wink

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wink, Where exactly was the kink at in relation to the fuel line. Was it the line from the firewall to the fuel rail? Same question to you Paul where was your kink? I want to check mine to make sure I don't have one either.
To be honest I missed most of it. Another customer was there checking out his build and we were shooting the breeze. I looked over and saw him walking away from my Jeep with the hose in his hand. So I walked over and snapped a pic. But yeah it was up by the firewall and hard to see. He fabbed a new one and before I knew it I heard my Jeep start up. A distinctive sound. ;)

Interesting. Valid points you make on it. Also, with the YSI in site for you, you will be needing bookoo fuel. So that makes sense.
Yeah most of the things we've done since last winter were done with the Y in mind. So we've overbuilt some things for where I am now.

wink

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Sounds good.
Usually the failure occurs over a long period of time. But by then many change out the setup so the problem doesn't have time to show its ugly head. If hes assuring you a non-submersible hose is fine, it would make me a bit leary. The hose works, agreed, but longevity will not exist, especially with all the crap and additives added to our fuels these days.

Thanks Jim! You're correct about the description. However my tech talked to your tech that said he designed the hat. He was told what the application was and said yeah, no problem.
Arringtons(shopHemi) Tech.. not my tech (Hemi Shop)
;) Just Clarifying.
__

Not bashing the hat at all, Im all for it. Im stating if I were to use it, I would definitely switch out the hose & clamps. Im basing it off what I see in the pics on your photobucket and a little googling of the serial#. Its quite possible he is using submersible hose and the serial I read has another version. Either way. Let us know how it goes and get this guy to make more. Good luck at the track.

-Jim
Hemi Shop Director

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds good.
Usually the failure occurs over a long period of time. But by then many change out the setup so the problem doesn't have time to show its ugly head. If hes assuring you a non-submersible hose is fine, it would make me a bit leary. The hose works, agreed, but longevity will not exist, especially with all the crap and additives added to our fuels these days.

Arringtons(shopHemi) Tech.. not my tech (Hemi Shop)
;) Just Clarifying.
__

Not bashing the hat at all, Im all for it. Im stating if I were to use it, I would definitely switch out the hose & clamps. Im basing it off what I see in the pics on your photobucket and a little googling of the serial#. Its quite possible he is using submersible hose and the serial I read has another version. Either way. Let us know how it goes and get this guy to make more. Good luck at the track.

-Jim
Hemi Shop Director
Sorry, I get the relationship confused. Either way it's water under the bridge now. I understand your concern, but I asked him about it and he said I wouldn't have any problems. Whatever hose it is, is the same kind as I've had in there for a year now. It looked perfect when we pulled it out. But hose schmoze, I leave those details to him. ;)

They stay busy year round, and it's harder to get an appointment than a doctor's office. But he usually manages to squeeze me in if I'm persistent enough, and I am. ;) Plus I'm a showcase for him at the track. I've sent a lot of biz his way. Anyways, not sure how much manufacturing he's got time for, but they are expanding the shop. New machine shop, more lifts, etc., so who knows. I'll express your concerns and interest.

And thanks, I'm gonna try and represent today, but the DA right now is 8114... :eek:

wink

wink

·
Registered
746 Posts
To be honest I missed most of it. Another customer was there checking out his build and we were shooting the breeze. I looked over and saw him walking away from my Jeep with the hose in his hand. So I walked over and snapped a pic. But yeah it was up by the firewall and hard to see. He fabbed a new one and before I knew it I heard my Jeep start up. A distinctive sound. ;)

wink
Thanks Wink. I'll be checking mine tonight.

Reactions: bushmaster3000
1 - 20 of 25 Posts