Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this bad boy today. I would install it tomorrow, but the wife will be driving the beast while I take her porsche in for service. I'll post up install details and oil temp results as soon as I get it in and tested.

Eric

·
That guy..
1,281 Posts
that would be nice... what kind of project is the box sitting on?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is my Factory Five Cobra replica. Those are the side pipes sitting across the frame. Still lots to do there...

Eric

·
Daily Driver..........
1,837 Posts
what will you be cooling? box says, oil, tranny, pwr steering, or fuel??

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Engine oil, hence the thread title "oil cooler", although I guess that could mean something else. Anyway, I don't like the engine oil going above 250 degrees, so I wanted an engine oil cooler. It has a thermostat for the fan, and I will be running a switch that will let me over-ride the thermostat, either on or off, so I can have more control over the oil temp. I just got the wife's Cayenne back yesterday afternoon, so I might have to wait until Monday to do the install.

Eric

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where are you tying into? Electric and oil

Looks like it mounts to the base of the oil filter
Yep, it's a sandwich adapter that goes between the engine and the oil filter. I will run a separate, fused, relay controlled, switched circuit for fan power. I still need to get a decent switch and relay, and figure out a good place to mount the cooler.

Eric

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Yep, it's a sandwich adapter that goes between the engine and the oil filter. I will run a separate, fused, relay controlled, switched circuit for fan power. I still need to get a decent switch and relay, and figure out a good place to mount the cooler.

Eric
I'd like to know where you are going to install it too. You might have some more options since you have the fan but still going to be kinda tight.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts

Eric
Will it fit the threads of the oil filter mount without modifying it?

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
I have an oil cooler without a fan and the sandwich adapter fits fine without any modifications.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
I run the same k&n filter, hp-2010 I think is the part number.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd like to know where you are going to install it too. You might have some more options since you have the fan but still going to be kinda tight.
Yeah, I'm wondering where the best place is for it, but it looks like there's room behind the front bumper cap.

The kit comes with several mount bolts for the adapter, and one of them is supposed to be the one for the 6.1 HEMI.

Which # oil filter do you guys use

From 07 to 08 they changed the threads on the filter, same size filter though
I don't know why they would change something like that on the same engine, but I buy either the Purolator Pure One or the Royal Purple oil filters. Don't know what the part numbers are for either of them, I just look it up in the filter book at the parts store.

Eric

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I decided on the putting the oil cooler under the bumper cover on the right side. There's plenty of room, and it looks like there's some good air spilling in from the grill, right under the intake snorkel for the airbox. I had to make a couple of brackets to mount it, but only had to drill three holes in the chassis. So far, besides figuring out where to put it, I just have the brackets made and painted.

As soon as I get the extra parts I need, I'll get everything installed. I'll post up pics of my progress so far as soon as the Cowboy game is over, or maybe at halftime. :rocker:

Eric

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, so the game isn't over yet, but the 'boys are up by 14 in the fourth quarter. Here are a few pics showing the where the cooler will go.

Eric

·
Registered
635 Posts
Very cool! Can't wait to hear the results. Looks great! Nice garage too.

Sent from my Droid using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here are the brackets attached to the cooler. They're painted (flat black) and drying at the moment.

Eric

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here are the brackets, all by themselves. I had to make some funky curves and twists for that one bracket to nest correctly into the structure under the headlight. That was fun!

That's pretty much it for now. More when I have it.

Eric

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here are the brackets installed on the cooler, and the Mr. Gasket 90 degree fittings I got from Harry's Hot Rods in Grand Prairie. I found out that I need to get two 90 degree fittings for the oil filter sandwich adapter since there is not much room there, plus I'll have to remove the drain funnel under the oil filter for clearance. I sure don't want to run a shorter filter just to make it fit.

Maybe I'll get more done tomorrow.

Eric

1 - 20 of 42 Posts