Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I'm about to get a 2019 SRT from the dealership in Prague. It was assembled in June 2019 and exported to Europe so it's been sitting around at dealerships and customs for a while already. It's been driven for 15 miles until now. My point is I'd like to break it in properly. The factory oil would be 20 months old, should I drain it asap?

Dealership says (due to warranty reasons) I should be using their repair services. I did not ask them to do it before I drive the car yet. Would you consider giving a couple of hundred miles and then change the oil? Or better change it immediately? I have no problems doing it by myself after it's driven a bit but am a little worried about the warranty. Thanks for the insights!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Im positive if you ask 10 people this you will get 10 responses. Arguably the best ones will be over here: Bob Is The Oil Guy For what its worth I changed mine at around 1500 miles and again at 4000 then went to the normal just under 6000 mile interval and have been fine with no excess burn issues and good for an SRT economy. As it only had 15 miles on yours I bet the oil is good but if you want a real science based response with people who test stuff fanatically then go to the forum and ask there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, much appreciated. I only wonder if the oil is not affected by age. Seems I will drive about 2k and do the same as you did.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep SRT8. Stock. Used buy in 2020 @61,000 mi. Brilliant black crystal pearl
24 Posts
Hello,

I'm about to get a 2019 SRT from the dealership in Prague. It was assembled in Jule 2019 and exported to Europe so it's been sitting around at dealerships and customs for a while already. It's been driven for 15 miles until now. My point is I'd like to break it in properly. The factory oil would be 20 months old, should I drain it asap?

Dealership says (due to warranty reasons) I should be using their repair services. I did not ask them to do it before I drive the car yet. Would you consider giving a couple of hundred miles and then change the oil? Or better change it immediately? I have no problems doing it by myself after it's driven a bit but am a little worried about the warranty. Thanks for the insights!
Honestly if it bothers you that much the oil and filter are 100$ US. You already bought a 70,000$ vehicle why chance it. Put in new stuff. Won’t hurt it one bit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly if it bothers you that much the oil and filter are 100$ US. You already bought a 70,000$ vehicle why chance it. Put in new stuff. Won’t hurt it one bit.
Agreed :)
Drove about 500 by now and planning to drain it for the sake of my peace of mind.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Im positive if you ask 10 people this you will get 10 responses. Arguably the best ones will be over here: Bob Is The Oil Guy For what its worth I changed mine at around 1500 miles and again at 4000 then went to the normal just under 6000 mile interval and have been fine with no excess burn issues and good for an SRT economy. As it only had 15 miles on yours I bet the oil is good but if you want a real science based response with people who test stuff fanatically then go to the forum and ask there.
Bob's the Oil Guy is no longer on the internet.
Oil does not go bad from lack of use. The factory fill in your new Jeep is fine. Change it at the called-for interval.

·
Registered
2 Posts
019 SRT from the dealership in Prague. It was assembled in June 2019 and exported to Europe so it's been sitting around at dealerships and customs for a while already. It's been driven for 15 miles until now. My point is I'd like to break it in properly. The factory oil would be 20 months old, should I drain it asap?
I was in a similar situation with my new SRT here in New Delhi India and no an oil change is not $100 here, Try $300 for Mopar oil 0W-40 or $150 for Shell Helix Ultra Synthetic 5W-40 (Pennzoil is not in this part of the world), labor was another $200. Luckily I imported my oil filters and air filters or that would be even more. I changed mine out at 2500 km and it was dirty but India is not known for its air quality. I put in the Shell 5W-40 and hopefully that is okay. Not too many options here.

·
Premium Member
2013 Wk2 Srt8
159 Posts
No that 5w/40 is not ok. With that weight oil you risk improper lubrications of your valve train which feeds your push rods there hollow in the middle so under pressure the oil is fed down through the push rods to your lifters. Not to mention possible issues with the variable valve timing. If you choose the correct weight 0w/40 shell, castrol, valvoline not even Mobil etc don’t have the correct additives for the American hemi V8. Amsoil, pennzoil and royal purple are the only correct oils that meet the Chrysler requirements

·
Registered
186 Posts
Stick with the recommended 0W-40 oils. Engines with cylinder deactivation, like our SRT's, don't tolerate other viscosities well.
And, just to clarify, oil is not fed down to the lifters through the pushrods, it is fed up from the lifters, through the pushrods, to the rocker arms.....
By the way, george's recommendations of Pennzoil, Amsoil, and Royal Purple are spot on. (y)

·
Registered
186 Posts
That's a great price!
I bought two jugs of this...remember, our SRT's take seven (7) quarts!....when I got my SRT, but found out later that it did not claim to meet Chrysler's oil specifcation for our 6.4L engines. I put the Mobil 1 in my old Chevy pickup truck and bought the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum instead. The PUP does meet the specs for our SRT's.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I remember when I got my truck in 2014, I did research the pennzoil vs mobil 1 and the mobil one was the winner. There were issues with the pennzoil back then. Maybe you could find something inthr forums from circa 2014.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I remember when I got my truck in 2014, I did research the pennzoil vs mobil 1 and the mobil one was the winner. There were issues with the pennzoil back then. Maybe you could find something inthr forums from circa 2014.
Who did the comparison, Project Farm? Mobil Oil Co.?
What did they compare, full synthetics? Conventionals? 10W-30s? 40weights? How did they compare it?
Lots of questions, I know. And the answers here seven years later may not be known, or even relevant.

All I know now is that Pennzoil's 0W-40 SRT oil meets Chrysler's spec for the SRT engine and Mobil 1 does not. That's enough for me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well I've been using mobil 1 since I bought the truck 7 years ago, having a 426 stroker built right now so I'll ask them if they saw any abnormal wear in the engine. I'm no expert on oils but it's the same weight and the engine is made of the same metals as other engines. Pretty sure if performance euro cars with turbos can use mobil 1 then it's good enough for my n/a SRT. I bet Pennzoil works great too. I mean if you have a warranty, do what's required to keep it intact. I've heard only good things about mobil 1.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I mean the first oil change I had done at the dealership they used 5w30. At least I knew that wasn't correct, says 0w-40 on the freaking oil cap!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Pretty sure if performance euro cars with turbos can use mobil 1 then it's good enough for my n/a SRT.
Yes, it's probably "good enough".
I guess it comes down to the price delta between the Wal-Mart Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum SRT.
Is the $12/qt recommended oil better than the $4.50/qt "good enough" oil? Probably.
Does it mean one oil will cause the engine to blow up tomorrow and the other oil will guarantee it will go 300K miles? Probably not.
Is it worth the extra money for the right stuff? Only you, the owner, can make that decision.

For me, I suppose it's the difference between being "pretty sure" it's "good enough" and being confident it's the best oil I can put in the engine.
YRMV

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yah from a purist standpoint you are totally correct that whatever the manufacturer recommends is the best to put in your warranty protected engine. That should be end of story for most people.. Why else would they recommend a certain kind. The wk1 I believe used mobil 1 up until 2009 manufacturer recommended. Then some deals fell apart (so I read, take at face value) with chrysler and mobil 1 during their bankruptcy and I wonder how much that had to do with a new deal with pennzoil. Is it more amazing oil for SRT or is it just capitalism? I think changing the oil regularly and using a good filter may be more important, assuming the weight of oil is same.

Personally I believe that chrysler still has some animosity towards mobil 1 and that the certification process would be easily cleared if they werent being children. I doubt it's a higher standard than other vehicles you find mobil 1 as a staple. It may get certification soon it appears. Don't expect chrysler to hold up your warranty though if they find you using mobil1 lol. They already don't like upholding their word.

·
Registered
186 Posts
... pennzoil. Is it more amazing oil for SRT or is it just capitalism?
Hard to say, but the Pennzoil is the one that meets the Chrysler spec.
Consider this:
If Mobil's oil actually met the spec, wouldn't they say so? I mean, it would mean more sales for them....even if they didn't "like" Chrysler.
That would be capitalism.....

I think changing the oil regularly and using a good filter may be more important, assuming the weight of oil is same.
While regular oil changes and using a quality filter are both very important, I'll go with regular oil changes, a quality filter, AND using an oil that is recommended by the maker of my vehicle.
I like putting all the variables in my favor whenever possible.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Capitalism is them selling oil for 12 bucks a quart instead of 4 bucks a quart because the more expensive one is "spec" and thus they jack up the price. Worth 3 times as much? U think so. Mobil1 would have to sell 3 times as much volume at 4 bucks. It's profit is limited by the amount of vehicles requiring chrysler spec, its not unlimited.

Spec only means it went through chryslers 2 years of testing, not that it has any better stuff in it. Plenty of heavy skepticism is warranted to earn my money.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts