Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3rd Mishimoto 180* Thermostat to fail within a year, For Real?
They can’t figure out how to make a reliable low Temp Thermostat? Didn’t have any issues with the Mopar OEM Thermostat.
Please any recommendations on a Low Temp Thermostat for our Vehicles that actually lasts more than a couple months would be appreciated?
Totally Ridiculous and sad!

·
BlaBlaBla
5,367 Posts
I know you’re wanting a lower temp thermostat, but…. I’ve been running and racing the OEM ever since the first 180 I put in failed after a few months. Went back to stock and been there ever since. My motor puts down 1100 hp in kill mode and zero issues.
I’ve been seeing posts like this for years. In this case I think it’s a mod not worth doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SRK

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eskle what Temperatures do you have your Cooling Fans Set at?
Im considering going back to the Stock Thermostat, never had an issue with OEM one. When I had the Engine Built it came with the Low Temp thermostat
Doesn’t seem like any company can make a reliable one like the Mopar stock Thermostat

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Haven’t changed the tstat in my WK2, but I was constantly replacing the 180 tstat in my WK1. I tried most brands too… Hypertech, Mishimoto, etc. if I recall correctly, the Stant did last the longest, but also needed replacing.

I dont know if the WK2 and WK1’s are any different, but on my WK1, I had to make sure it was installed correctly. There’s a tiny hole close to the edge of the lip and the hole had to be rotated so it was on top.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I know MotoRad now owns Stant. I have a Stant that I may try. I just want something Reliable like the OEM Mopar 203* stat.
Don't want to be on a road trip and need to bring an extra Thermostat, because not sure if it will fail!
If an aftermarket company or Mopar actually built a reliable 180* Low Temp Thermostat for the Gen 3 Hemi, they would sell a bunch

·
BlaBlaBla
5,367 Posts
Eskle what Temperatures do you have your Cooling Fans Set at?
Im considering going back to the Stock Thermostat, never had an issue with OEM one. When I had the Engine Built it came with the Low Temp thermostat
Doesn’t seem like any company can make a reliable one like the Mopar stock Thermostat
Not sure it’s been so long. Jeep is still in mothballs or I’d check. Sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Malamri, I actually have a 190* Stant and a 180* Stant. What are your average Oil Temperatures ranging with the 190 Stant ? Also, do you know where your cooling Fan Settings are set with the 190* Stant?
MotpRad now owns Stant and has their stats made in China, they use to be made in US.
Thanks Much

·
Registered
57 Posts
Malamri, I actually have a 190* Stant and a 180* Stant. What are your average Oil Temperatures ranging with the 190 Stant ? Also, do you know where your cooling Fan Settings are set with the 190* Stant?
MotpRad now owns Stant and has their stats made in China, they use to be made in US.
Thanks Much
When the engine is fully heat-soaked and going down the highway at 80 mph the engine oil temperature can be anywhere from 210 to 228 depending on ambient temperature.
My fan settings are left at stock, so I only benefit from this thermostat when driving on the highway.

·
Registered
59 Posts
They can’t figure out how to make a reliable low Temp Thermostat? Didn’t have any issues with the Mopar OEM Thermostat.
Please any recommendations on a Low Temp Thermostat for our Vehicles that actually lasts more than a couple months would be appreciated?
They are problematic. I use the Stock thermostat by drilling extra holes in the outer ring.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got my 2007 wk1 a little over a year now and it has in that same thermostat without any issues...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Go back to the factory 'stat. There is zero benefit to running a colder thermostat.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Acallen, What are your average city and highway Temps with the Holes drilled in Stock Thermostat?
They should be the same as with the stock thermostat with no holes.
Additional holes in a t-stat just means it takes longer for the engine to get up to temp, not that they affect running temps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts