Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
what is the stock thermostat? 203? what are the advantages of a cooler t-stat? does it really improve performance that much?
heat is not Good for any motor, especially when youv'e been driving for awhile, then get on it. you risk getting detonation or pinging which are not good, detonation being the worse of them. for the guys who run a turbo or SC detonation if severe can get them in line for a new Motor. so running a 180* stat keeps the motor cooler which in turn helps keep pinging & detonation at bay. give you an example- have you ever noticed how when winter comes around your rig seems to have got some pep to it without anything done mod wise. as to in the summer it loose's a step. that's basically what the 180* stat does, helps rig run cooler.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I have to disagree. Detonation and ping are the same thing. Pinging is the sound detonation makes. Detonation is from a lack if fuel in the combustion chamber during ignition or a preignition situation from too low of an octane. The 20* difference you see in coolant temps has little to no effect on detonation because there could be a 20* variance in temperatures from one cylinder to the next. Having a lower operating temperature is for peace of mind for some. A cooler motor doesn't make more power persay but it is usually conducive to lower intake temps which will make more power. That is why you think it is quicker in colder temps. Your truck is still going to get to 215* but the ambient air is super cold still. The tstat is completely overrated and unnecessary for most of us. The headaches I have seen it cause on this site makes the mod laughable in my book.

·
Registered
740 Posts
heat is not Good for any motor, especially when youv'e been driving for awhile, then get on it. you risk getting detonation or pinging which are not good, detonation being the worse of them. for the guys who run a turbo or SC detonation if severe can get them in line for a new Motor. so running a 180* stat keeps the motor cooler which in turn helps keep pinging & detonation at bay. give you an example- have you ever noticed how when winter comes around your rig seems to have got some pep to it without anything done mod wise. as to in the summer it loose's a step. that's basically what the 180* stat does, helps rig run cooler.
that is an enormous turbo on your GN. WTF DOES IT RUN IN THE QTR?!?!?!?!!?! how much whp?

that must be a handful on the road!

·
Registered
498 Posts
that is an enormous turbo on your GN. WTF DOES IT RUN IN THE QTR?!?!?!?!!?! how much whp?

that must be a handful on the road!
I haven't had a chance to get back to the track since I put that turbo on. it ran 12.0 with the TE60 with a broken tranny, no 4th gear. I have since had tranny re-built, then upgraded the turbo, will try and make it out to track this summer & try for mid-low 11's at this elevation. gota be careful when Im on streets.:D

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hmm i wonder then if it's ok for it to go up to about 233-235 after flogging the truck for a couple of back to back runs , at 105 degree weather( west texas), i think i really need a t-stat...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hmm i wonder then if it's ok for it to go up to about 233-235 after flogging the truck for a couple of back to back runs , at 105 degree weather( west texas), i think i really need a t-stat...
i actually just took the jeep to the track this weekend up here in minnesota and it was 80 degrees no humidity and after the third pass, i was sitting at 234. it went down after about 5 minutes of highway driving to the 215-218 range. id say if you keep running at the track every weekend id adjust some fan settings and get a 180 t-stat. but until then i think youre good.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Thanks for the info srtzilla.. Im on
my way to buy a t stat... And
a
predator... :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Temperature Range on guage

Hi all,

New to the SRT8. Mine seemed to be thirsty for water today. Needed about 1/2 gallon in the expansion tank. I would swear it was not that low. Anyhow i will keep an eye on the level as its not dropped in 80 miles or so. I have noticed the fluctuation in temperature on the guage fluctuate from about 97C to about 103C or 206F - 217F.

On a cruise at about 80 it will sit comfortably at around 206F. Drive more aggressive it will rise to about 213F. If i get stuck in traffic after a cruise the temp will rise to about 217F. When it gets that hot i end up piling the car heater on and cranking the windows down.

I cant think that this seems normal as water boils at 212F.

Temperature outside was about 80F today.Should my temperature vary this much. The cars i have had before were pretty constant. Its certainly not gone as high than the 1st unmarked notch after mid point on the guage.

Thank you for any responses.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi all,

New to the SRT8. Mine seemed to be thirsty for water today. Needed about 1/2 gallon in the expansion tank. I would swear it was not that low. Anyhow i will keep an eye on the level as its not dropped in 80 miles or so. I have noticed the fluctuation in temperature on the guage fluctuate from about 97C to about 103C or 206F - 217F.

On a cruise at about 80 it will sit comfortably at around 206F. Drive more aggressive it will rise to about 213F. If i get stuck in traffic after a cruise the temp will rise to about 217F. When it gets that hot i end up piling the car heater on and cranking the windows down.

I cant think that this seems normal as water boils at 212F.

Temperature outside was about 80F today.Should my temperature vary this much. The cars i have had before were pretty constant. Its certainly not gone as high than the 1st unmarked notch after mid point on the guage.

Thank you for any responses.

@217 degrees F you are way fine. normal running temp is like 212-218...anywhere in there. this morning it was like 60 degrees out running 60mph for 30 minutes i was running 224. i usually run between 220 and 224. water levels r fine, no overheating issues ever.

·
Registered
983 Posts
same issue, trying to buy a trinity and a new t stat...and kooks :) so i can finally fix this issue, running at what these rigs do with the stock t stat robs hp.

·
Registered
498 Posts
have you changed your thermostat to a 180* or 160*,? also, if you have you must also lower the fan turn on temp to which ever stat you install. if you have done this make sure that there are no bubbles in the system.

·
Silver & Satin
3,750 Posts
Alright guys question. I was cruising around town here in stop and go traffic and I got up to 228 degrees am I fine or is there something wrong with my motor? I was being pretty heavy on it as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
engine running to hot?

just got a 07 jeep srt8 the other day, did some highway driving and the temp readying in the step menu was reading 224 yet the temp gauge on the dash was reading around 195 which one should I rely on and anything to be concerned about

·
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
8,565 Posts
just got a 07 jeep srt8 the other day, did some highway driving and the temp readying in the step menu was reading 224 yet the temp gauge on the dash was reading around 195 which one should I rely on and anything to be concerned about
The temp in the EVIC is the oil temp, the coolant temp is the gauge on the dash.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
49 Posts
a lot of great info

·
Registered
1 Posts
so I'm fr Kingston Jamaica. I have bad boi that its 2007 .. wanted to find out operation temp but I see where yall made a post of it being 215drgrees however I would like for my gauge to stay at degrees do u think its wise to take the t stat out .. since I'm in the tropics
20200908_171952.jpg

21 - 37 of 37 Posts