Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what should be my normal running temperature if i am running the 91 CAI PERFORMANCE TUNE with my stock t-stat?

·
Administrator
5,855 Posts
If you've got a stock t-stat your high speed fans don't come on till 215 degrees. That's the normal operating temp with a stock t-stat.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
210-230 on hot days, like 180-210 during the winter here in California.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Where do you live? if its warm there right around 210, like they're saying... Your car won't run cooler because of a tune, unless you get a cmr tune and they adjust your fan settings.

·
Registered
131 Posts
228 here. Crazy is it heats up on interstate and cools way down around town and at idle. I think that's the opposite of every car I've owned.

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts
When my rig had the stock T-stat I was at 215 when the engine was warmed up...

·
Registered
498 Posts
it would run at 215*, after I installed the 180* thermostat it now runs at 185* at 90mph.:D

·
That guy..
1,281 Posts
I was wondering on my GC why the temp gauge was so high. Is that just because the 6.1 runs hotter than normal cars?

Winter it hasnt got above 1/4 way up.. like 200 degrees..

When summer comes and it gets hotter, what degree is bad? 3/4 the way up the gauge?

I had a 180 thermostat in my 5.7 L ram and it stayed alot cooler..

·
Registered
341 Posts
I did some data logging today and I was running at 205 F. The ambient air temp here today was 10 F. Intake air temp was 19 F.

180* stat will be my next mod.

·
Premium Member
17,140 Posts
Mine runs 175-181* running 85mph with my LS fan set on 185.:D

·
Registered
498 Posts
I bet most of you runing higher than 200* haven't set their/your fans to come on sooner. :thinkerg:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
So whats the deal, do you need a 180* stat if you adjust your fans ? I'm in Calgary and even in summer average temps at 15*C with the exception of a few hot weeks. Is there any point in my changing the stat ?

Thx.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Running hot isn't bad for the motor. Overheating otoh is bad. Most temp auges are dummy gauges with no actual numbers on them which is why some if you may be shocked at why they run so hot. If it was a problem they would have run a 180tstat from the factory. I think the higher threshold was because of emissions an that the cooling system is robust enough to overcome the increased temps.

·
Registered
97 Posts
what is the stock thermostat? 203? what are the advantages of a cooler t-stat? does it really improve performance that much?

·
Registered
740 Posts
I've got the 180 in the garage ready to go in this weekend. 233 running 80mph is too high.
what everyone needs to realize is there is a nice operating range the motor can sit in and be completely fine. theres a reason why most automakers set the temp gauge to not move as long as the motor temps were within approx a 50 degree range. the srt8 jeep doesnt have that style, instead the temp gauge is real time. this causes the general public to auto assume the motor is running hot.

look in the service manual, i am sure it will state the normal operating temp range, if the truck gets above that, then worry.

·
Registered
498 Posts
So whats the deal, do you need a 180* stat if you adjust your fans ? I'm in Calgary and even in summer average temps at 15*C with the exception of a few hot weeks. Is there any point in my changing the stat ?

Thx.
No, Basically-you can adjust your fans anytime you want, But you won't get the added advantages of having the 180* stat. all the 180* stat does is let the water/coolant circulate earlier/sooner then the 203* that comes with our rig. there is deffinately a difference between the 2. you always want a cooler running motor, always. even in Calgary where it's cooler I suppose.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts