Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little help... My '07 has a stroker swap out and my oil pressure on start up seems good (in the 30's) but once the engine heats up, my idle pressure is down around 12-15 psi. Idle speed is around 700 rpm... Does this pressure seem acceptable for my idle engine speed? At higher speed, the oil pressure seems solid...maintains in the mid to high 40's with engine rpm around 3k. Kinda seems funny to me.... Any input would be appreciated!

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Per the factory service manual, anything over 4psi at idle is "normal". However, I think that is way too low. I have a stroker as well and my oil pressure when cold is about 72 and when warm at idle I'm at about 30. I'm also running 10w-30 at the moment. What oil are you running? How many miles? Could be the oil pump starting to go.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Sounds low to me too, I get on the low side about 30 at idle up to 70 something.

Are you piston oil squirters installed or where they removed?

I think mine would stall at 700rpm, its set around 750

·
Registered
957 Posts
cold start for me would be up in 70s and as low as 20s you might have a problem. doesnt sound normal at all

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Doesn't it depend on what oil you are using as well as manufacture? Especially on cold start up when oil is thicker. I use 10w-40 royal purple

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right now, I'm using Mobil 1 5W-30. I'm not sure as to whether or not the oil squiters for the pistons were removed or not due to the stroker swap occurring before I purchased it. It only has 22k on the vehicle. It has had a cam installed on it as well. Could that be affecting the oil pressure as well?

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
I have a 426 with a cam and no oil squirters and have the pressures I stated above. 5w-30 to 10w-30 isn't go into make that much difference in pressure. Any blue smoke out the back?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts