Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would post this up before I make the 400 mile drive home....

So when the ghetto wheels/bad tires were on the rig, there were no noises. After I had the reps/vreds put on, there is now a a high pitched squeaking noise at all times coming from the front driver side wheel. The noise gets louder and higher pitched when I put the brakes on too, but it is constantly there. The noise happens on both front wheels when the brakes are applied. Also, the noise only shows up after the brakes get hot.

What do you guys think?? Why would it be there AFTER the new wheels/tires? You think I just need new rotors/pads because the rotors are warped? Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Maybe this it too simple and you have checked it but -

You did check or have checked the lug nut torque after 50 miles or so?

New wheels are especially prone to needing retorqued after some miles and if you a had a shop do the install, maybe they didn't torque things properly in the first place.

I have also heard people claim that they have experienced the tire squeaking when the bead is not set properly on the wheel, but I've never experienced this myself.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The one thing they did say on that specific wheel is that they had to force one of the lug nuts on because the threads were bad on that one. But I don't see how that would cause a noise. Problem is I would need to find a shop to torque it again on a sunday. Do you know the torque specs?

·
That guy..
1,281 Posts
I highly doubt the torque is the cause of the noise... There is no way to improperly set a bead... either its on, or its not...

How much brake pad is left on the front brakes? Possibly the squealers hitting?

When the put the tires on did the drop the wheel and hit the backing plate?

Can you post up a quick video at all?

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When they took the old wheels off, I decided to be nosey and check all the brakes and the pads. The fronts looked like they had a lot of life left, you could clearly see the pads.

I can maybe try to get a video up. When I leave and go get my coffee I will do it.

My cousin (my personal mechanic) also suggested that they might have maybe hit something on the brake to make it off alignment and maybe it's just barely touching the rotor going down the road. But when the brakes are applied, it isn't any type of squealing I've ever heard before. It's way more high pitched. Of course the place that put them on is closed today....

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
110 LB-FT - but to be causing noise, the lug nuts would have to be nearly loose. Anybody with wrench that fits could at least check that the lug nuts are not dangerously loose.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks man.

So tried getting a video, except it didn't do it when I just went and got my coffee! What the hell? I think the brakes need to get pretty damn hot, because I only went down the street. All I care about is making it home safe, I can fix it when I get home with new rotors or whatever. Just want to make sure the wheel doesn't fall off, lol.

·
Vendor
5,596 Posts
Did the vehicle history report ever show any accidents? Possible damage to that particular area? You could possibly have some rotor warp up there?

With any new set of wheels changing the overall diameter, I would also get an alignment too...I know that doesn't solve your squealing problem but just a thought

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh I'm definitely getting an alignment when I get home. And no, no accidents at all. I'm thinking either rotor warp or they hit one of the calipers to make the pads slightly touch the rotor. What I don't get is why it wasn't there before and it is now with the new setup. If the rotors are warped, you think that would have been there already....

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
or could be those repros rubbing the front calipers, i tried to fit some on mine at work and they were right on the caliper, i am a distributor for these wheels and even the manufacturer told me they are meant for 07-12 Wranglers, not for anything else...

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Meeper, you are right. I just checked after driving 100 miles and some of the paint has come off the calipers on the front wheels. Shit. I know im fine driving home but now what?? Why has no one else complained about this??

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
the offset on the Repros just isn't right for the WK, finally some proof that I'm right... i think there are just too many variations on the wheels coming from china, they can't get them consistent over there to fit, i would love to see some pictures posted of what your talking about

·
That guy..
1,281 Posts
I know my Repo's are close, but not touching..

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Or they might of mounted the 20x10's in the fronts ? I just had my FR wheels from Doug and absolutely no issues , It fit and balanced out like the stock ones ? Tamara where did u buy your wheels from ?

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Or they might of mounted the 20x10's in the fronts ? I just had my FR wheels from Doug and absolutely no issues , It fit and balanced out like the stock ones ? Tamara where did u buy your wheels from ?
they all come from the same manufacturer in china, i can get the name tom from work, the manufacturer even sent me a video of them making wheels and you can see all kinds of name brands being boxed up, its hilarious

·
Registered
532 Posts
Not doubting you as you work in the business, but I don't get how they are made for Wranglers in 9 and 10 inch widths? Aren't our rigs the only Jeeps running those widths.....? My reps clear nicely and balanced better than the stockers.
*I don't doubt that there could be quality control issues though...... Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bought them at Performance Plus Tire, who obviously got them from FR down the street. The steering wheel is also shaking now. I'm really going to have to look after work tomorrow, because by the looks of it, it looks like there is no way it can hit the calipers. But when I bought the car, I don't remember the calipers looking so tore up. Maybe I'm being crazy. The squeaking is definitely still there though. I will look into it more and see what's up and let you guys know. And no, the 20x10's are definitely in the back.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.