Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently swapped out my stock goodyear runflats for some Nitto's. I love the ride, but am having a problem with the two rear tires. Both rears are slowly losing pressure...about 2lbs/week. I've had them for 6 weeks, and had to add air twice. So I stopped by the dealership that put them on for me.

They found that they're leaking at the seal between the tire and the rim. They claim that my rear wheels probably need to be replaced...due to some scratches and oxidation that could be causing the seal to fail.

I'm skeptical. The wheels were fine with my previous tires. So I asked them to just reseal them for now.

Any other ideas? Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks,
Tom

· The Traveler
5,264 Posts
I recently swapped out my stock goodyear runflats for some Nitto's. I love the ride, but am having a problem with the two rear tires. Both rears are slowly losing pressure...about 2lbs/week. I've had them for 6 weeks, and had to add air twice. So I stopped by the dealership that put them on for me.

They found that they're leaking at the seal between the tire and the rim. They claim that my rear wheels probably need to be replaced...due to some scratches and oxidation that could be causing the seal to fail.

I'm skeptical. The wheels were fine with my previous tires. So I asked them to just reseal them for now.

Any other ideas? Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks,
Tom
How do the valve stems look? They can crack and let air out. Give them a close inspection.

· That guy..
1,281 Posts
corrosion is normal on aluminum wheels. Take them somewhere else, have them sand the corrosion off and reinstall the tires..

You dont need to buy new ones..

· Registered
2020 Dodge Durango SRT
6,054 Posts
corrosion is normal on aluminum wheels. Take them somewhere else, have them sand the corrosion off and reinstall the tires..

You dont need to buy new ones..
+1.....you don't need new wheels just some TLC to your current wheels. Did they double check the leak wasn't from the tire pressure sensor/valve?

· Daily Driver..........
1,837 Posts
the needle inside one of my valves was bent causing it to leak.

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. Here's the update..

I took them to another shop, and had them re-grinded and sealed. One is now holding pressure fine, but the other (right rear) is still losing. They did find a crack in that rim.

So I'll probably look to replace that one rim. I found one on ebay (remanufactured) for $600. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Grand-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc2689a35&vxp=mtr

Or I suppose I could get 4 new non-OEM rims. Hmmm

· That guy..
1,281 Posts
Thanks everyone. Here's the update..

I took them to another shop, and had them re-grinded and sealed. One is now holding pressure fine, but the other (right rear) is still losing. They did find a crack in that rim.

So I'll probably look to replace that one rim. I found one on ebay (remanufactured) for $600. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Grand-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc2689a35&vxp=mtr

Or I suppose I could get 4 new non-OEM rims. Hmmm
I would buy 4 reproductions.. Sell your set to someone looking to fix them..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.