Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new to the jeep and srt8 world. I have been drooling over one of these for a long time. I've come across a killer deal and want to know what to look for. This particular truck has a supercharger on it at 85k miles with the motor being replaced a few years ago by an insurance co due to a front end accident. Clean title etc tho.

What I am mostly concerned about is whether I can get by without taking it to a jeep dealer to get it checked out. I'll have a good friend who is a mechanic with me so between the two of us we should be able to identify most issues upon arrival (going Tuesday night).

What are some major issues to be aware of? Especially in this instance with the pro charger and replacement motor. The seller says he has all receipts as well as videos and Dino results to prove it. The sc was installed only 2 weeks ago. It just sounds like this guy just needs the money and doesn't care about the loss he is taking.

·
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
Hey guys I'm new to the jeep and srt8 world. I have been drooling over one of these for a long time. I've come across a killer deal and want to know what to look for. This particular truck has a supercharger on it at 85k miles with the motor being replaced a few years ago by an insurance co due to a front end accident. Clean title etc tho.

What I am mostly concerned about is whether I can get by without taking it to a jeep dealer to get it checked out. I'll have a good friend who is a mechanic with me so between the two of us we should be able to identify most issues upon arrival (going Tuesday night).

What are some major issues to be aware of? Especially in this instance with the pro charger and replacement motor. The seller says he has all receipts as well as videos and Dino results to prove it. The sc was installed only 2 weeks ago. It just sounds like this guy just needs the money and doesn't care about the loss he is taking.

Does it have the new Procharger kit for the Jeep that just came out, or a retro-fit of another kit? The Procharger is nasty, I have the new Jeep kit installed.
It makes me weary that the engine was replaced due to an accident........That's sounds like a pretty serious accident, no? What kind of money is he asking?

·
Has Been
8,532 Posts
Does it have the new Procharger kit for the Jeep that just came out, or a retro-fit of another kit? The Procharger is nasty, I have the new Jeep kit installed.
It makes me weary that the engine was replaced due to an accident........That's sounds like a pretty serious accident, no? What kind of money is he asking?
This and the fact that he installed a procharger two weeks ago and is suddenly selling it also worries me. You don't just invest 8K in a vehicle and then all of the sudden sell it because you don't have the money. If anything you would think he would have just sold the SC kit. Sounds fishy to me but there could be validity to it.

Reactions: StangSlayerMA

·
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
This and the fact that he installed a procharger two weeks ago and is suddenly selling it also worries me. You don't just invest 10K in a vehicle and then all of the sudden sell it because you don't have the money. If anything you would think he would have just sold the SC kit. Sounds fishy to me but there could be validity to it.

Exactly. The Procharger kit is $4500-$5000, install is $800-$1000 for a basic install. Why would you install the kit and then sell it 2 weeks later? Why wouldn't he pull the kit off and sell it for good money if he was having money trouble?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dk which pro charger kit it is. He said it had the D1 package on it if that helps? I'll find out more on tuesday. The guy is on vacation in Hawaii right now so who knows what his reasoning is. If it checks out I'm in! Lol.

We worked out a deal at 18k... I can't believe it still which is why I'll continue to be a skeptic. I work for a bank so once I get the vin I'll be looking into that as much as possible along with car fax.

If all works out I can't imagine I'd keep the sc on it for long I'm not cool with sub 10 mpg when it's plenty fast already stock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exactly. The Procharger kit is $4500-$5000, install is $800-$1000 for a basic install. Why would you install the kit and then sell it 2 weeks later? Why wouldn't he pull the kit off and sell it for good money if he was having money trouble?
Exactly what I'm thinking too. But if there is nothing wrong why wouldn't I buy it?! I'm just gonna hope its legit and roll with it. If not no biggy I've got my beauty Toyota camy to roll in :) (I hate this damn car btw) I went from a 7 series BMW to a Denali to this in order to be more (practical) I work with a very environmentally friendly group who likes to pass judgement on what u drive. F that!

·
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
I dk which pro charger kit it is. He said it had the D1 package on it if that helps? I'll find out more on tuesday. The guy is on vacation in Hawaii right now so who knows what his reasoning is. If it checks out I'm in! Lol.

We worked out a deal at 18k... I can't believe it still which is why I'll continue to be a skeptic. I work for a bank so once I get the vin I'll be looking into that as much as possible along with car fax.

If all works out I can't imagine I'd keep the sc on it for long I'm not cool with sub 10 mpg when it's plenty fast already stock.

The D1 is the head unit, that's what I have. I'm just wondering if it is the kit made specifically for the Jeep , or did he take a kit from the LX platform and retro-fit it. The blower should be sitting behind the headlight on the passenger side like this:

And the intercooler should look like this:

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
For 18k WOW

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Sounds fishy to me. No reason to take that much of a hit and sell for 18k.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I couldn't agree more. However I am a big bargain finder and do come across finds like this once in a while. You can't always live by if it sounds too good to be true..... We'll see. Thanks for the input guys.

After comparing the pics to yours tho its strange bc the sc in his is on the drivers Side and the inter cooler is higher up and a bit smaller. I wonder if it's something different?

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
So is this jeep local to you? How'd you find it? How have you made contract with him?

Sent from my iPhone 4S

·
Registered
231 Posts

It can't be that he needs the money if he is on vacation in Hawaii:thinkerg:

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Did the seller mention anything about a divorce?

Sent from my iPhone 4S

·
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
After comparing the pics to yours tho its strange bc the sc in his is on the drivers Side and the inter cooler is higher up and a bit smaller. I wonder if it's something different?

I think this person posted pics up on here not too long ago. That's an LX kit, that has been retro-fitted to fit the Jeep. The intercooler is up behind the bumper rendering it useless. This is an air to air intercooler......you need airflow across that intercooler, or its going to heat soak.....fast. His intercooler is also partially blocking the radiator, tranny cooler, and A/C condenser. The guy said the kit came off an 07 Charger SRT8. Pictures are on the second page, its a silver Jeep:

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61497

Now look at the front bumper with the correct intercooler:

His dyno numbers were extremely low, 462 hp 463 tq with 6-7 psi. I made 550 awhp on a stingy Mustang Dyno with 8.3 psi. And his air filter sitting on top of the engine is just kick-ass. :silly:

·
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
8,565 Posts
I am the only one to find it odd that the price they worked out was 18k? Haven't most of the scams lately been that same price?

If it is for real your Co workers are going to love you. You do realize the SRT Jeep has made every top 10 list for the worst gas mileage since its debut in 06.

I'm not holding my breath on it not being a scam.

Jim

·
Registered
400 Posts
I am the only one to find it odd that the price they worked out was 18k? Haven't most of the scams lately been that same price?

If it is for real your Co workers are going to love you. You do realize the SRT Jeep has made every top 10 list for the worst gas mileage since its debut in 06.

I'm not holding my breath on it not being a scam.

Jim
I agree... it's a scam. I'm hoping we're wrong for your sake. I think that price is LOW for a stock Jeep...

I would see if you can race a bone stock Jeep SRT8 next to it - reason why? A local shop here raced a bone stock SRT8 vs a blown SRT8 done up by a reputable shop and it got walked...LOL. I'd get a full PPI done or take it to a shop to get a clean bill of health.

GL in your search!

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
I think this person posted pics up on here not too long ago. That's an LX kit, that has been retro-fitted to fit the Jeep. The intercooler is up behind the bumper rendering it useless. This is an air to air intercooler......you need airflow across that intercooler, or its going to heat soak.....fast. His intercooler is also partially blocking the radiator, tranny cooler, and A/C condenser. The guy said the kit came off an 07 Charger SRT8. Pictures are on the second page, its a silver Jeep:

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61497

Now look at the front bumper with the correct intercooler:

His dyno numbers were extremely low, 462 hp 463 tq with 6-7 psi. I made 550 awhp on a stingy Mustang Dyno with 8.3 psi. And his air filter sitting on top of the engine is just kick-ass. :silly:
Wow that thing must run hot, at every level.

Op, I wouldn't touch that deal for any amount of money. Walk away and find yourself something that's not going to be a nightmare from day 1.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
I'd SAY FOR 18K IF EVERYTHING IS IN GOOD WORKING ORDER , BUY IT , But no transfer cash with out seeing the vehicle or owner etc , if you're catching my drift ;)

·
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
What if I put the correct intercooler on it? Or just remove the procharger altogether?

Do you think it's caused permanent damage?

You wouldn't be able to fit the correct intercooler without switching to the correct mounting bracket for the Jeep. I'm not sure if the Jeep even uses the same head unit as the Charger.......head units are clocked differently for different vehicles. It might end up costing you a fortune.

You could take the blower off, but seeing such an abortion of an install makes me question the rest of the work done to the Jeep. The sad part is, the kit doesn't fit a Charger anymore either, now that he cut the intercooler piping all up. You'd be stuck selling that Procharger as a pile of seperate parts.

$18K isn't a bad price........but I hope you have extra $$$$$ laying around if this thing needs work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.