Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, after my F-350 had gotten stolen....I had to take the Jeep out to West Texas for a week, where the rig performed as it should have throughout the whole round trip. She wasn't pushed hard, and she seemed to act like it is supposed to. I averaged 16.8 MPG on the way out there, if that's any indication of the driving style. there was A little hesitation, which had been ongoing for a long time, but nothing to indicate that there was something wrong with the transmission. The Jeep is practically stock. Intake and Borla exhaust. No tune, nothing fancy. Only 45k miles on her, aswell.

Anyways Upon returning, the Jeep was parked overnight. The next morning is when it started acting funny.

When I started it, I noticed a little whine sound coming from somewhere on the vehicle. This sound carried with the engine RPM's, and increased in frequency as the RPMs increased, even falling and rising with the gear changes. This sound could be heard in Drive, Reverse, AND Park/Neutral. It was very audible, and sounded almost exactly like the TechCo superchargers did(suffice to say, it was a cool sound)

I had a friend mess with the gas while it was in Park, and I pinpointed the sound to be coming from under the driver's portion of the cab; more specifically the transmission area.

While driving the vehicle to the dealership, it acted normal for the most part--minus the awful noise. There was one instance where it hung in fourth gear til about 3500 rpm then grabbed fifth. But it didn't do it again after that.

The tech at the dealership dropped the pan and checked things out, but couldn't figure out what was wrong. No codes being thrown. No telltale signs, either. They decided to go ahead and replace the trans & torque converter under warranty. It is coming in from Milwaukee, arrival expected in 7 to 10 days.

My question to you experienced guys/gurus.....What might be causing this sound, and what is actually going on inside of this beast?

The transmission is really the only thing that's acted funny since I bought the vehicle new, so I'm hoping for the best with a new one installed in it.

· Registered
11,229 Posts
Whoever stole it must have beaten the crap out of it , heating up the clutches on continuous beating and burning the clutches , it really doesn't take much to burn these stock clutches once overheated . That's my guess ??

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nono, sorry. It was an f-350 that was stolen and not recovered. Therefore I had to drive the jeep out west because of it. sorry. The jeep was not beat, nor has it hardly ever been beat on. :(

· Miss Understood
13,918 Posts
i think the pump went bad in the trans.

· Registered
5,046 Posts
i think the pump went bad in the trans.
I think it may be the pump too, had a trans pump go in a magnum and sounded like that too.

· Registered
2010 WK1 coming soon......
1,508 Posts
Which dealer are you taking it to?

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took my chances and went back to grapvine. The jeep wouldn't have made it to lewisville and i wasn't going to wait around for a tow when i was only two minutes from grapevine cjd.

Turns out that everyone at that dealership has been replaced as far as service goes, which is probably why they are finally showing some competence and getting the job done right. They still have no idea what caused it, theyre just replacing everything without any questions asked-as they should.

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well, an update... The transmission has been replaced and the Jeep is back up and running. I haven't driven it yet but the misses seems to think that it drives better than it ever has. My input should come later, i suppose, and we'll see if she really acts good once I get about 3k of easy driving on it(which may take 6 months :S )

I'm a little weary about how this trans will hold up...I suppose time will tell. The dealer still has no idea what caused the problem, and neither do I. Chrysler advised them to send the original off to an engineer somewhere to have a looksie at it, so I suppose we'll find out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.