Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the new Jeep 2018 SRT last week, put the new rims on it by the end of the week. We noticed that the rims are not level vertically. there appears to be an angle/slant to the rims, with the front passenger being the worst. Not sure if this is normal with jeeps, normal with these types of rims, or something could be wrong with these rims. The offset i believe is (-18) so the wheels stick out about 2 inches or so.

So whats the consensous? is this dangerous? gonna cause any issues? could they deny warranty?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Well technically speaking having tires sticking out of the wheel wells 2" is illegal
and you could be ticketed (unlikely) unless you have flares or flaps to keep them from throwing stones up into the air.

So how does it track?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well technically speaking having tires sticking out of the wheel wells 2" is illegal
and you could be ticketed (unlikely) unless you have flares or flaps to keep them from throwing stones up into the air.

So how does it track?

Jeep steers and drives beautifully as it's basically brand new with only 300 miles on it. These are the original tires also. Was thinking about grabbing some mud flaps. Didn't realize wheels sticking out were illegal, I see it all the time. Maybe it varies by state? Any chance of suspension damage?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Jeep steers and drives beautifully as it's basically brand new with only 300 miles on it. These are the original tires also. Was thinking about grabbing some mud flaps. Didn't realize wheels sticking out were illegal, I see it all the time. Maybe it varies by state? Any chance of suspension damage?
I don't see how you could damage the suspension.
Summit flaps fit and keep the dirt off

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Congrats on the SRT! Let’s see some pic of the new wheels.

Have you had the alignment checked? If those are stock sized tires, then the offset might be way off because your tires stick out quite a bit. It almost looks like you have spacers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congrats on the SRT! Let’s see some pic of the new wheels.

Have you had the alignment checked? If those are stock sized tires, then the offset might be way off because your tires stick out quite a bit. It almost looks like you have spacers.
No alignment check yet. Car only has 300 miles on it and seems to drive jsit fine. The rim company also asked me about alignment. Does alignment correct vertical or just horizontal?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Looks good! Based solely by the pics, it looks like they either fudged on the offset or added spacers so the rims could clear the brake. Just a theory though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It’s just not the factory offset is all. It’s probably even from front to back, just looks like the front is out more because the body is more narrow in the front. Looks good if, if that’s what you’re in to. Not sure about it being illegal because I see trucks all the time with like 6” to 10” inches of offset, probably depends on where you live. My stealth had about 2” of tire past the fender and I was never hassled over it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wheels sticking out like that puts more strain on Wheel hub, you will be replacing wheel hub more often than you need to. It looks like a turtle.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
That offset is WAY out Factory are -50 Offset. your camber and toe etc all going to be out of whack and your wheel bearings are going to take brunt of the work. she going to eat the inside of the tires out.

This is some Stance nation bs

·
Registered
117 Posts
Not sure what you are referring to as being vertically level. Do you mean camber? Or are you referring the front poking out of the fenders more than the rears.

As others mentioned before you wheel sizing is way off. Id get some with a better offset and width

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looking at some other cars, it looks like the camber is normal with these cars buts it just more noticeable because my wheels are sticking out further than stock. If it were an easy process I may exchange them but I'll probably just leave it this way. I'm working 75 hrs a week and have no time to remove the rims and send them back. The jeep isn't my daily driver so any significant wear will take years.

Here's an example of another jeep where the wheels are pointed outwards.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Looking at some other cars, it looks like the camber is normal with these cars buts it just more noticeable because my wheels are sticking out further than stock. If it were an easy process I may exchange them but I'll probably just leave it this way. I'm working 75 hrs a week and have no time to remove the rims and send them back. The jeep isn't my daily driver so any significant wear will take years.

Here's an example of another jeep where the wheels are pointed outwards. View attachment 228513
The one show here as a example has more negative camber yes because it is on air ride. The wheels will always camber in when airing the suspension out.

Your camber looks fine but yours throws you off i guess because the body lines and how much the front and rear stick out

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hey Budd.. As All others have Stated The Offset’s are Waaay off on your Rims!! Whatever company Sold you those Rims Either did not know Wtf they doing or jerked you!!
Here is a Pic of mine W Factory Rim’s AND A 22mm spacer! Pretty much lines rt up to the Xtrented Fender flares! Which is imho what most rims/tires should do ~ line up to fenders! Point is Im pretty agressive w 22mm Spacer and your are blowing way Past fender line! Also Keep in mind that Red Trackhawk you pictured ^^ up there is on Bagg’s and Slammed to ground in that pic!

Congrats on new truck and Welcome to the Community! Red is Sexxy Af!

Mine w Spacer

·
Registered
668 Posts
Sorry this pic has the Xt Flare Above pic was w out the Aftermarket Xt’d Fender Flare but the 22mm is on! You can see even w out the flare doesnt blow past/thru that fender line
W Flare below

·
Registered
117 Posts
So would spacers do anything for me or is it basically stuck how it is?
Spacers will push them out even farther. You need different wheels with better offsets to sit flush with the fenders.

Do you know the width and offset of your wheels now?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Yea No , Spacers are meant to push the wheel outwards! It’s looks to me like maybe you got some Reg Wk2 Grand Cherokee Wheel’s!
Albeit Nice looking wheel esp w the Red/Blk or Red I guess if you like em and they Can Be Align’d to within Spec. (Which i doubt , had a hard time w my setup went Had to get a Bwoody susp pkg) Then if you like em keep em! Pretty sure though the As Stated Bearing’s , Axles , tires will all see Xtra Stress and Wear Fast!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts