Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently aquired a Magnum SRT8 and a Charger SRT8 and we will begin modding them very soon.

Magnum: 440 Iron Shortblock, Apache Heads, MM Stage III Intake, Getrag, FTI or Dominator Converter, Fr-247 Camshaft, MM 87mm TB, ATI Balancer/Flexplate, Possibly an SHR Tranny, Zoomers exhaust, OEM headers/mid-pipes, LMI CAI

Charger: 426 Aluminum Shortblock, 6.1 Heads, Hand-Ported Intake, OEM Rear/headers/converter/TB, Fr-230 Camshaft, ATI Balancer/Flexplate.

The Magnum will be raced, the Charger will be a mild build used for testing purposes mostly. We will start on the Magnum First.

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
These are the pistons and rings for the 440 going in the Magnum. The orange block is the block being used for the Magnum which is 1 of 5 iron blocks that Mopar made with extra thick walls and can actually go up to a 4.185" bore although we are sticking with a 4.145" bore and 4.08" stroke.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Sweet! Can't wait to see how they turn out!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Wow awesome can't wait to see both of them finished !!!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Any detail info on the 1 of 5 iron blocks with extra thick walls? That's pretty sweet!

·
Has Been
8,532 Posts
Thanks for sharing Andy. Good luck with these builds I am definitely interested to see what they throw down, especially the Aluminum 426. How long with the aluminum block last as compared to an iron block of the same CI and bore etc.?

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any detail info on the 1 of 5 iron blocks with extra thick walls? That's pretty sweet!
I came across this block and it had a unique part number. I contacted people in the know and here is what I was told.

If that is the block I think it is, it used to be painted black. Cylinder walls should be about 6mm thick and of the 6 or so that were made, most were a rough 5.7L bore size with all other features finish-machined to the 6.1L print. Blocks were cast with the 5.7L bores but I thought we stayed with the 6.1L water jacket core and block material. Cam tunnel cores were 6.1L as I recall but we simply deleted the piston jet machining. Also, it seems to me our intent was to put a “P” at the beginning of the casting number, but I may be confusing that with the aluminum block XXXX and I worked on a few years later.

Anyway, if this is the block I think it is, it was an early attempt at a heavy duty/race/blower capable block for Mopar with the idea that we might be able to use it in a skunkworx supercharged buzz model. Never went anywhere and they kinda fell off the table when the discussion turned toward the 6.4L variant being conceptualized.

Thanks for sharing Andy. Good luck with these builds I am definitely interested to see what they throw down, especially the Aluminum 426. How long with the aluminum block last as compared to an iron block of the same CI and bore etc.?
No one knows till it has been tried. I dont think there is any long-term life benefits in the aluminum block but I guess we will soon see.

·
Has Been
8,532 Posts
No one knows till it has been tried. I dont think there is any long-term life benefits in the aluminum block but I guess we will soon see.
Hmmm ok so it's primary benefit is just the weight reduction. Thanks for the info, I am interested to see what happens with it.

·
Has Been
8,532 Posts
primary benefit is weight and the ability to go larger on the bore.
Oh wow ok. So let me guess, you are looking for a larger bore and shorter stroke so that you can rev higher and in turn make more HP?

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
InferAl has the larger bore/short stroke 426. The one we are building is the same as the iron 426.

Iron 426: 4.09 bore x 4.05 stroke
InferAl 426: 4.185 bore x 3.875 stroke

·
Has Been
8,532 Posts
InferAl has the larger bore/short stroke 426. The one we are building is the same as the iron 426.

Iron 426: 4.09 bore x 4.05 stroke
InferAl 426: 4.185 bore x 3.875 stroke
Ah now that you say that I remember. Thanks for explaining Andy :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts