Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering offering an IAT extension kit for our rigs and would like some feedback. It would allow anyone to extend their IAT (Idle Air Temperature) sensor from it's current location to a location where it would not be exposed to as much heat soak and overall temperature. This would (in theory) allow the car to see much lower temps at all times and help prevent the ECM from pulling timing.

I would offer it with a replacement IAT sensor so the current sensor would not need to be removed since it is fairly fragile and easy to damage. It could be ordered in various lengths and would only require a 5/8 hole to be drilled for the new sensor. Other than the new hole being drilled, it would be 100% plug and play off of the factory IAT plug and would most likely be a 20 minute install.

Kit would include:

1. Replacement IAT sensor

2. 6,12, or 18" extension harness with plug and play mating plugs

3. Installation instructions and supplies.

Price for forum members would be $79.95 shipped.

Any feedback on this would be appreciated. I won't stock up on the required materials unless these will be something people want.

Thanks,

Ken

·
Premium Member
5,199 Posts
Where would the new location be?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
maybe mount it somewhere along the front grill where fresh air is shooting in... brake duct maybe?

·
Administrator
5,855 Posts

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Hey Ken, you might want to have a look at this thread - http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/mystery-grey-iat-sensor-connector-solved-63343/. I don't know if there's any truth to it being effective, but that sensor might be a cheaper option to incorporate into your idea.

Bernie
I installed that longer IAT sensor pictured on sat before going out of town. Temps are the same but the IAT seems to react faster. Throttle response is better and doesn't seem to get soft while sitting in traffic. My vote is to make that an option. All around car feels better

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where would the new location be?

It could be relocated almost anywhere. I would just suggest a location where it won't be exposed to excessive dirt, water, oil etc. I do know that if the sensor gets fouled up it will throw a CEL.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
810 Posts
This is great idea to produce a plug and play extension using factory connections.
I recently bought the IAT extension kit from the dealer and had to splice into the factor wiring. It all worked out well but this is a better option.

Here's where I relocated my IAT sensor...it does make a difference moving it to this location and its well protected. It also gets moving fresh air from the front grill area to cool the tube somewhat in this area...we did a laser temp test and there was big difference in temps in this area of the tube both at idling and checking after hard driving. I didn't want to move it too far down the tube so it was in the air box / filter area, was worried the air stream would be too trubulent and it would mess up the sensor readings...I also put a spark plug heat shield sock over the senor after it was installed to keep it clean and avoid any spray if the rad cap decided to leak...

I would have bought your plug and play extension if it was available just to avoid cutting the factory wiring...This is a great idea and product for all the guys.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is great idea to produce a plug and play extension using factory connections.
I recently bought the IAT extension kit from the dealer and had to splice into the factor wiring. It all worked out well but this is a better option.

Here's where I relocated my IAT sensor...it does make a difference moving it to this location and its well protected. It also gets moving fresh air from the front grill area to cool the tube somewhat in this area...we did a laser temp test and there was big difference in temps in this area of the tube both at idling and checking after hard driving. I didn't want to move it too far down the tube so it was in the air box / filter area, was worried the air stream would be too trubulent and it would mess up the sensor readings...I also put a spark plug heat shield sock over the senor after it was installed to keep it clean and avoid any spray if the rad cap decided to leak...

I would have bought your plug and play extension if it was available just to avoid cutting the factory wiring...This is a great idea and product for all the guys.
Thanks for the input and pics. That's exactly what I am looking to offer and may construct a few kits next week when I visit my vendor. I also want to find a rubber grommet to include with the kit to make the install of the sensor a bit easier. My main goal is to make the install easy and straightforward.

Also, have you noticed any seat of your pants difference after moving the sensor ? Everything I have read has been positive regarding the results.

·
Premium Member
5,199 Posts
i dont mind trying this out. put me on the list if there is one.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Thanks for the input and pics. That's exactly what I am looking to offer and may construct a few kits next week when I visit my vendor. I also want to find a rubber grommet to include with the kit to make the install of the sensor a bit easier. My main goal is to make the install easy and straightforward.

Also, have you noticed any seat of your pants difference after moving the sensor ? Everything I have read has been positive regarding the results.

I can honestly say I did see a difference in the vehicle, especially on warm days. After a couple of days of driving it was evident. I wasn't sure about the mod at first and really only did it because I had some time one day and decided it was worth a shot...once we located the coolest spot on the tube after driving, it was a quick 30min project. I had previously bought a Rad drain plug that fit perfectly in the old IAT location ( see pic )...I would invest the time to find and include a grommet cap or plug in your kit. I think this was the most frustrating part of the entire mod...new grommets are easy to find but finding something to cap the existing hole was a pain. I chose the rad plug because it can simply be screwed in or out...In the next few days I'm having the tube aluminum welded to permanently fill the old IAT hole and also the breather hole at the bottom of the tube as well...

I'm happy with the results after the mod and can't see why all after market CAI's do not come with a secondary hole (capped) for this mod...this is the way the Mopar should have been made, the new location is the coolest on the Mopar aluminum tube while driving and at idle....I think Bwoody is smart to offer this option with their CAI. Can't see why the IAT is located so close to the intake and right in the stream of hot air from the fans from the factory as well... Seems like it wasn't really given much thought or it wasn't worth the trouble to move, but why would the dealer offer a re-wiring extension kit if this didn't make a difference?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I've had this mod got about a year now with zero issues.. I monitor the iat temp via dashhawk all the time. It's normally reading 1 degree hotter than outside temp at idle, when moving, it drops a good 10 degrees. It is Deff a good mod for the money, throttle and acceleration is a night and day difference. I have mine mounted by the brake duct with a tube that covers it and feeds it fresh air while moving. I'll try to snap some pics later.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've had this mod got about a year now with zero issues.. I monitor the iat temp via dashhawk all the time. It's normally reading 1 degree hotter than outside temp at idle, when moving, it drops a good 10 degrees. It is Deff a good mod for the money, throttle and acceleration is a night and day difference. I have mine mounted by the brake duct with a tube that covers it and feeds it fresh air while moving. I'll try to snap some pics later.

I will put a few kits together next week and anyone who wants them can PM me. I won't put them up for sale on my website until I get some feedback and determine if they are something that is worth the effort. I am still trying to figure out a good location for the sensor on my own rig so that will be the next hurdle.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I will put a few kits together next week and anyone who wants them can PM me. I won't put them up for sale on my website until I get some feedback and determine if they are something that is worth the effort. I am still trying to figure out a good location for the sensor on my own rig so that will be the next hurdle.

I'll try to get you some pics tonight, Ken. I think a lot of people will see gains from this mod. I will also try to record my ait temps for others to see.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I had to extend mine for my Bwoody CAI, dont they offer an extension kit as well?

I didnt buy his extension, I simply snipped the wiring between the AIT and the loom and extended it myself with wires I had around.

Honestly, if i could buy an extension for relatively cheap, I would have done that, custom wiring can be annoying when you need to trouble shoot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts