Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new guy just purchased 07 silver with 41K. Kinda of long so bare with me and any help/opinoins would be greatly appreciated. I have searched, so long I am dizzy.

Went to test drive vehicle and noticed service 4wd system light on, truck drives great no shifting issues etc. Seller agrees to have it scanned prior to purchase, turns out transfer case motor circuit high. Shop puts in new tc motor and seller delivers car to me. Light is still on but again truck shifts fine under light throttle as well as full throttle. Saturday I change front and rear diff with Royal Purple as well as tc fluid with proper mopar fluid. I now notice that sometimes turning left and or right I get binding like it is is 4wd and almost hopping. This does not happen all the time, sometimes I can feel a pop and it is free. I also noticed I can shift out of park with vehicle off and key not inserted? I also went out to idustrial park last night to make sure tc is working. I can break torque the truck to the point the rear tires start spinning but only to a certain rpm, once I take off I can feel the front wheels grab. Appointment tomorrow at dealer just wanted to hear opinions and info on what to ask/tell dealer. I am hoping some type of electrical issue because under full/part throttle no issues what so ever, smooth as glass. Thanks for taking the time, Anthony

·
Daily Driver..........
1,837 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have seen that as well, thank you. Well I just pulled off the plastic access panel below steering wheel and found the other end of the shifter cable, not hooked to anything. I can move shifter and this moves so I know it is a straight shot to shifter. What does this get hooked to? I would imagine something electronic (brake switch maybe?) This could be one of the reasons I am getting the service 4wd system light and hopefully something to do with the other issues. If someone is kind enough to check where the cable goes that would be very helpful as I can at least repair this so the dealer doesn't hammer me tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
The binding is most likely the transfer case goiing out unfortunetly. Or slim chance its the motor again. You buy warranty?

·
Marathon Man
3,229 Posts
Keep us posted. But you should of made the previous owner fully repair the jeep before you took ownership of it.

Some of these things can be a money pit to fix if you don't have a warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know and believe me I am sick over taking the vehicle without it being fixed, one of the dumbest things I have done. Just talked to the dealer and after all their diagnostics they think it it either the tc motor and or fdcm (final drive control module) They state the tc motor has no power going to it, which the fdcm provides power to the tc motor, correct? Have you seen where the fdcm has caused such problems? TC motor was put in right before I purchased vehicle but that may explain why it is not working. Thanks again for the help

·
That guy..
1,281 Posts
Sounds to me like someone beat the crap out of it, noticed the transfercase was going bad and got rid of it!

I would make them replace the transfer case itself.. Even without the TC motor on there it shouldnt bind, pop when turning.. thats the gears inside the tc not lining up..

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
Sounds to me like someone beat the crap out of it, noticed the transfercase was going bad and got rid of it!

I would make them replace the transfer case itself.. Even without the TC motor on there it shouldnt bind, pop when turning.. thats the gears inside the tc not lining up..
Transfer case has no gears in it. Only a chain and a clutch that is actuated by the tcase motor.

J

·
That guy..
1,281 Posts
Do you have a predator or Trinity on the truck? Check and make sure its not in Dyno mode
being that he just purchased it, and had issues before he even bought it, i highly doubt he has a diablo on it...

And 99% of the time when the truck jerks when you turn, and pops.. that is the transfer case...

May not be "gears" inside as I called it.. but regardless it sounds like his transfer case is going to lock up..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts