Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
time to get new tires and need some input on what to get when i bought the jeep the guy had just put nitto 420s on it i live in macon georgia is this the best tire i dont ever see snow so what are yalls thoughts? also how long does a normal set of 420 tread life? thanks

·
Registered
611 Posts
I like my 420's. Toyo st II are popular as are the Vredes.
Here is the Vrede

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I've got Nitto 420S on my Dodge Ram, have about 35k miles on them, beginning to finally look like I need to replace them. They have been an awesome tire.

Had the Vreds on a BMW X5, they did not last anywhere near as long as the Nittos, especially the rears, but they are also awesome tires.

You really can't go wrong with either. IIRC the Nittos are a bit cheaper.

·
Marathon Man
3,229 Posts
all are good choices. I'll be putting on a new set of nt05s as soon as my rims are done being powdercoated.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have just about gone thru my Vreds, and they are getting very, very slick. I'm looking for my receipt but my guess is that I got about 12-14k max out of them. They were a really nice rain tire but were never a great dry tire. Totally the opposite of the GY Run-Flats that were like drivin on ice when it rained. Am thinking of going the Nitto route this time around and am looking for opinions on them.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have just about gone thru my Vreds, and they are getting very, very slick. I'm looking for my receipt but my guess is that I got about 12-14k max out of them. They were a really nice rain tire but were never a great dry tire. Totally the opposite of the GY Run-Flats that were like drivin on ice when it rained. Am thinking of going the Nitto route this time around and am looking for opinions on them.
+1 with this guy. Also about to buy tires for my 22's and was going to order the Vreds or Nittos. Any thoughts?

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
532 Posts
My Vreds are brand new so I can't speak to how they perform when partially worn but out of the box I can tell u that they are WAY Stickier than the Nitto 420s I have on my 20s. Full on summer tire vs all season.......

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Durango SRT
6,054 Posts
Vreds are way better than stock in all conditions. I've got right around 24k miles on them and the fronts are worn on the inside and rears are close to wear bars. Great traction in wet and in dry. Now that the tread is low they do not grip like they used to, spin city.

Had nitto nt05s and the dry grip is even better than vreds but not as good in the wet. Nittos were a little noiser too. Don't expect much for mileage out of these though. I got about 14k and that is higher than most. Expect around 10k miles.

Both ride much better than goodyears but I'd say the vred is a better all around tire.

Thinking about trying the nitto invos but may have to try the continental extremecontact dws since I'm moving to MI in march.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Vreds are way better than stock in all conditions.

Really, all conditions? Your from Florida correct? Florida dont get much if any snow. I would bet the stock treads are better in the white stuff then the Vredes.
Vredes are not all season tires.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Durango SRT
6,054 Posts
Really, all conditions? Your from Florida correct? Florida dont get much if any snow. I would bet the stock treads are better in the white stuff then the Vredes.
Vredes are not all season tires.
You are correct I live in Florida, thus they are better in all conditions I encounter. The OP lives in GA so I'm sure they are not worried about snow either. Yes, Vreds are not all seasons. Thank you captain obvious. Thats why I stated after my thoughts on the vreds and nt05s that I may have to try the continental extremecontact dws when I move to MI. Those are all season tires but I have no experience with that particular tire.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Vreds are way better than stock in all conditions. I've got right around 24k miles on them and the fronts are worn on the inside and rears are close to wear bars. Great traction in wet and in dry. Now that the tread is low they do not grip like they used to, spin city.

Had nitto nt05s and the dry grip is even better than vreds but not as good in the wet. Nittos were a little noiser too. Don't expect much for mileage out of these though. I got about 14k and that is higher than most. Expect around 10k miles.

Both ride much better than goodyears but I'd say the vred is a better all around tire.

Thinking about trying the nitto invos but may have to try the continental extremecontact dws since I'm moving to MI in march.
You won't like the invos. I had them on a BMW I had and last about 10,000 miles as well and the were worn down bad. I like Nitto a lot but that tire kinda sucks if you drive a lot. Does look real cool on though. I was always getting compliments on the tires haha but not as much on the wheels go figure.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have had the 420's and I do like them a lot more than the Goodyears. I believe I have over 15,000 so far and they are wearing very evenly. I live in CA so mostly dry weather here and will hook up rather nicely. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Toyos

I went to the Toyo Proxes ST11 (295...265 combo) two years ago. The immediate change was better ride and my 110-120 kph vibration disappeared. We get a monster amount of rain here on the coast and the Toyos are lovely in it. Great in the dry and maybe only slightly better in snow than GYs. The snow we get here is wet and sloppy.
There are lots in here with the Toyos in the two size combo(315-275 also) that can give you further information. The replacement cost was reasonable too. I like my Toyos.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.