Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok some I'm doing a header install and I removed all the stock exhaust and now I'm trying to remove the manifolds. Is it me or are these bolts a BICH to get to?!?! If any of you have done header installations can you help me out please. Whats the easiest way to get the top manifold bolts out and the lower ones loosened. I'm having trouble getting to them. The instructions from stainless works say to remove the battery, the airbox, and move the driver side fuse box out of the way. I'm really not to sure how removing all of that will help since the headers and bolts are being removed from the bottom. So far I have all the exhaust off and the front driveshaft off. Any help would be amazing.

Thanks,
Jerod

·
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
I have no personal experience, I paid someone to install mine........but there are some good tips in this thread:
http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45436&highlight=header+install

Post from SRT-MANA from that thread:
I hope you have small hands if not carry a buddy in the tool box who has small hands! its a biotch..motor has to lift up about 2 1/2" or so on both sides,I did it that way. the driver side will be a major pain as the starter & drive shaft & crossmember all had to come off.the driver side is where I used my buddy with the small hands as he could reach & bend his hands & arms in places where I could not get too.expect some scrapes & mabe some cuts on your hands & arms...it will all be worth it in the end.use lots of extensions,universals both 1/4" & 3/8",ratchet wrenches swivel heads best,open end wrench.mine took about 6 hours on the passanger side & 8 hours on the driver side....Good luck!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help! I'll remove the battery box, fuse box holder and air intake, alternator. I guess the name of the game is just giving yourself as much room as possible. If anyone else has any advice I'm all ears.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Do you have a lift?

If so remove the 2 motor mount bolts along with the trans mounting bolts to the brace and jack the engine up a bit. Remove the 2 front tires and inner plastic wells. Bolts are right there. Your going to have to hug the front strut to get some of them though...It's a PIA.

Also use some PB blaster and let it sit on those header bolts and put anti-seize on the new bolts. A snapped header bolt is a no go.

What headers?

If they are AR headers you will have to lower the engine back down after you put the drivers side in and then finish bolting it up. It will not completely bolt up with the engine jacked up. Passenger side is fine though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.