Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my Jeep was an 08. Obviously that's what I'm looking to get again, but there are NONE around my area in my price range at all. There is this 06 with 77K miles that someone, umm, how do I put this, "ghettofied" the crap out of. Nasty wheels, some kind of overlays on the interior, chrome grille...But, I could fix that stuff. I think I could get a good deal on it. They want 22K right now, but if they can come down, I might entertain the idea.

Now, my question...Am I going to be really disappointed going from an 08 to an 06? I just don't want to make 3 mistakes in a row by buying the wrong car. Or should I hold out for an 08? My budget is 25k, so that's what is making this so difficult. I obviously know the differences between and 06 and an 08, but just wanted to get your guys opinions. I need to get out of my death trap VW asap. :(

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Well I have own an 06 and have driven in 08' and 09s. MyGig is no big deal, while it is nice it's not something I wish I had. 2 things that I like about the 07' and up are the remote start which I now have and the bigger gas tank. Interior color is no big deal either, black, gray, eh.

·
Registered
185 Posts
IMO I would hold out for an 08 if that is what you wanted in the first place. Buying a car is a big investment so you should get exactly what you want so you don't regret it later. I looked at many 06 and 07 models for less money than my 08 cost. I was very close to buying one that was almost 10k cheaper than my 08 but I really wanted the black interior, remote start, and mygig nav. I held out and a month later my 08 popped up and I bought it. You will find the right one if you are patient. Finding an 08 with low miles will be difficult though for your price range.

·
Marathon Man
3,229 Posts
Tam,

You know the difference in the years as much as anyone else here.

I would say if you are fine with the missing options and different interior color of the 06, then go for it as long as you can undo the getto stuff that was done to it.

The more important thing to look at is the mechanical condition of the jeep. You don't want to get into another money-pit type situation with endless repair bills.

·
Banned
1,577 Posts
I would let this one go personally obvs it being "ghettofied" isn't good

Reactions: Knuckles

·
Marathon Man
3,229 Posts

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, remote start, I didn't even think about that. Damn. To be honest, I really don't care about mileage. As long as it was taken care of, that's fine for me. If the engine blows I can put a 426 in it, oh shucks. I have found 08's in my price range, but they are like 2000 miles away from me, and I don't think I can buy another car sight unseen again. I got screwed doing that. I don't want to buy an 06-07 and be completely disappointed. I'm afraid of that. I loved the dark interior, but I can't base my decision just on interior.

And Tony, that's in Florida, that couldn't be any further away from me! ;)

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Tam, it all really depends on what you want the vehicle for. My vehicle is not for hauling people...It's for hauling a$$ lol. I really wanted an 09 and up at first, and could have afforded it as well, but then I found a killer deal on an '06, and I decided that if I am going to mod the vehicle anyways, why pay the premium price? I now have an 06 with dvd, nav, sunroof etc and I really don't want or need any of those features or creature comforts...Heck I have already started to remove the back seats as no one sits there lol. If you want to pay a bit more for creature comforts, then, that is the way to go...but if you want to save some money and use it for modding, the earlier model IMO really is not that much of a difference. In closing, buy a vehicle that is well taken care of no matter what the year or mileage on it is and that really is the key!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
My advice? Hold out and keep looking to get what you want. Don't settle. Not knocking the 06 but the 08+ is 100% worth the price difference. You will find what you are looking for,just wait.

·
Premium Lurker
4,224 Posts
You could solicit for advice, start a poll, ask question after question.... but ultimately it's your decision and yours alone. Best thing I could say would be to familiarize yourself more with the earlier ('06-'07) models, and determine if the differences are worth the cost savings. As Tony mentioned, I think having a mechanically sound vehicle should be one of your top concerns.

When I got my '07, there were a few things I didn't like about the interior, but I ended up upgrading/modifying whatever minor nuances I had.... and I'm perfectly happy with the way it now sits.

Whatever you end up doing, best of luck!

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your opinions guys! I think I need to hold out for an 08, I just love the interior too much. Along with the HIDs, key fob, MyGig, and all that good stuff. I need to learn to not settle for a car. That's why I'm in the predicament I'm in now with my stupid VW. I will let you guys know if I find something!

·
Registered
611 Posts
it all really depends on what you want the vehicle for. My vehicle is not for hauling people...It's for hauling a$$ lol. I really wanted an 09 and up at first, and could have afforded it as well, but then I found a killer deal on an '06, and I decided that if I am going to mod the vehicle anyways, why pay the premium price? I now have an 06 with dvd, nav, sunroof etc and I really don't want or need any of those features or creature comforts.

This is exactlly the way I ended up with my 06, and I love it.

I dont need all that MyGig, black interior, better navi....I have my new Durango for that.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tam, if you find one that you like and its not near by...have a forum member on here check it out for you. I did that before for someone on here, and being jeep owners ourselves i;m sure we wont over look anything...just a thought..
I was thinking that. I think I might do that. There is an 08 around my price range that's far from me. BUT, if you look up the Carfax, its had like everything replaced. I think the radio alone was replaced 3 times. Kinda weird.

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Actually no, but I did see that one. This one was at an Infiniti dealership I believe. Somewhere on the East Coast. But ya, keep an eye out for me! Thank you!!!

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Go date ya a guy with an 08 jeep srt8 to get your fix in the mean while...

Good luck in the search though.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ya, too bad I'm married. But good idea! ;)

·
Marathon Man
3,229 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.