Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So basically I am thinking of getting a 2015 with 120K miles. Yes or no? Only one owner. Please give loads of feedback.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So basically I am thinking of getting a 2015 with 120K miles. Yes or no? Only one owner. Please give loads of feedback.
Me too, but with a bit lower mileage ... ~ 100k ... which means I'll be owning it past 120k and I'd like to know what I'm getting into.

So far ... it appears the vehicle suffers from all the normal crappy Jeep things, little things here and there that break (like the water pumps, CF trim, bearings etc).

I'm seeing a lot of complaints about the ZF8 transmission (hard shifts) but no really expensive repairs .. which is odd because BMW has been using ZF6 and ZF8 transmissions for 15+ years and they tend to need work (or replacement) by ~100-120k ... I'm thinking mechatronic sleeves etc.

Engine-wise ... seeing lifter issues that result in metal shavings in bearings, needing engine rebuilds. Can't tell if this is prevalent. Nothing as serious as the Cayenne / X5M cylinder scoring though.

Rust? That's one of my concerns, but that will be easy to find crawling under the vehicle.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Big powerful engine so should last well, check service history as oil changes are every 7500 miles according to the owners manual.
I've read somewhere a certain type of oil is preferred also.
I spent some time researching any catastrophies for the SRT but found no patterns of exploding engines or gearboxes etc so took the plunge and tried my first Jeep. So far I'm impressed, early days yet though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mechanically they are extremely reliable. Most common failure is mds system but it is usually replaced under warranty. Personally I do oil every 3k miles just for peace of mind. If you don't mind replacing the usually 100k+ parts then do it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wonder if the lifter issues I've been finding are related to the MDS system?

Having now driven a couple more SRTs I can say I do not like the MDS and the vibration it causes. At first I thought it was the transmission letting the engine lug too low but I'm pretty sure it's the MDS. It's annoying enough that it makes Auto mode unusable, at least around town at low speeds (and loads). Sport mode was better but it stiffened the suspension, I didn't see a way to disable MDS and still have the more compliant damper settings.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I wonder if the lifter issues I've been finding are related to the MDS system?

Having now driven a couple more SRTs I can say I do not like the MDS and the vibration it causes. At first I thought it was the transmission letting the engine lug too low but I'm pretty sure it's the MDS. It's annoying enough that it makes Auto mode unusable, at least around town at low speeds (and loads). Sport mode was better but it stiffened the suspension, I didn't see a way to disable MDS and still have the more compliant damper settings.
Yes the lifter is issue is normally caused by MDS. GM has had this problem for years as well. You can use sport mode which will disable MDS but change shifting patterns and a bit more rwd bias. Or you can try having exhaust flaps weld open 2013-14s only. The MDS activates base on back pressure and throttle percentage. The other option is have it tuned out by an aftermarket tuner.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I also dispise the low-end engine shudder before I receive a response from the throttle position. I don't see the point really as mpg doesn't seem to differ.
I also bought a dirty big V8 because I didn't want a sissy little four-pot silent hybrid.

Is there any uneven cylinder wear from long term use of the eco mode?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have 108,000 miles on my 2012. It’s cost me a lot lately. Mainly the water pump (which I suppose is predicted), but also new cam and lifters. The discussion on root cause centered on the 0W oil bring good for fuel economy, but poor for lubricity. After inspecting the roller lifter it clearly locked up and grinder a groove into the cam shaft lobe deeper and deeper until it no longer opened the valve. This leads to a misfire code. Apparently common in the Hemis (5.7 & 6.4) of the day calling for the recommended 0 weight oil. Regardless of the argument, I use 5W-40 “euro spec” synthetic now.
Oil pressure sensor went out recently too, but it doesn’t cost too much.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just put the trans into manual mode after it shifts into top gear. This leaves the mode in Auto for a more compliant ride, and disables the MDS. This works best on the highway rather than around town.

·
Registered
814 Posts
My electric fan just took a crap at 101k miles. Dealer only item and cost of repair is $1250.
Carbon trim warranty expired dec 19 looking for a good number to call Chrysler. Dash pad is still covered though

·
Registered
6 Posts
Almost 150k on mine. Lots of repairs here and there; some small, some large...most not cheap if wasn't for warranty/service contract.

Non maintence stuff replaced in the last 6 months; radiator and upper/lower hoses, power steering rack, motor mounts and the intake manifold gasket. Its then going back in for service on Monday for a large evap leak, worsening driveline clunk, growl from rearend, mirror switch, oil smell from hvac vents and a coolant leak.

Don’t take this the wrong way, I love the vehicle but be prepared for getting to know your mechanic well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
110k and counting... lifetime warranty... but also had no major problems. Maintenance is expensive compared to other GCs, as the PIRELLI tires are not cheap, brakes all around are needed frequently and expensive, oil changes every 5k and about 13 m/gal add up. Compared to other high performance SUVs I think ours is downright frugal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts