Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
PLEASE! I need some help here guys. I seem to be running into dead ends constantly trying to diagnose this problem.
So here is what my Jeep is doing. I am trying to be a descriptive as possible!

Every time I start it up it drives 100%. I let it warm up to normal operating temp before I start getting into the occasional part throttle boost. The first few pulls are perfect! After a few part throttle boost pulls I can literally FEEL my jeep go into something I call "crappy driving mode". When it enters crappy driving mode, it stays there until I shut off the engine and start it back up. Then it resets and drives great until I do a few part throttle pulls and it messes up again.

When it is in crappy driving mode I notice a few things. 1. Sometimes when I am cruising down the highway, not accelerating, just pushing down the accelerator to the point where the Jeep holds its current highway speed...I can FEEL it go into this crappy driving mode... The power will literally drop, my boost gauge will read -24 which means my foot would not on the gas pedal at all, I can feel the throttle "let off" even though my foot never moved and the jeep should still be maintaining highway speed! Out of no where I loose all power even though my foot is still on the gas!
ALSO once it is in this crappy driving mode I loose part throttle boost control. As soon as the BOV closes its way aggressive. Even if im in 5th gear at about 35mph say 1500 RPM, If I accelerate just to the point where the BOV closes and I get into part throttle boost the RPMs will jump from 1,500 to 3,000 instantly and I will be making at least 1 psi! Its not supposed to do that!

Another thing I notice when it is in "crappy driving mode" is I have to push the gas pedal further down to reach that point where the BOV closes and I get into boost, then it will go crazy. When the Jeep is driving like it should, I know that I shouldn't have to push the gas pedal that far down to get into part throttle boost...

Occasionally I get a TCM code when im in crappy driving mode. It is a code saying the converter is failing to lock up. I called Bill about this and he explained to me that this is happening because the system is getting confused somehow..

These issues started happening RIGHT when I got my Jeep back from the shop. Before that I have never had any kind of issue like this. Here is EXACTLY what was changed.
1. Trans + tcase was sent out to Paramount performance to get fixed, They repaired it , sent it back and Bwoody hooked it all back up and put the fluids in it.
2. 30 tooth pulley was installed
3. Stage 6 fuel hat installed
4. PT tuning vacuum manifold hooked up to my vacuum system and all of my gauges including the stage 6 fuel hat.
5. Got a new tune from my tuner which only added a bit of fuel and took som timing out for the new pulley
6. Had turn down tips put on my cutouts.

This is what changed. After I got my Jeep back it has been having part throttle boost issues constantly making it almost un-drivable for the past 3 months.:(

We tried looking at the tune, I made data logs of "crappy driving mode" and sent it out to my tuner. He thinks its mechanical that caused that because the tune looks good. I also sent the tune, and a log out to another tuner for some advice and I was told the same thing. 2 tuners said my tune doesn't seem to be causing these issues.

So then I tried to swap out my MAP sensor. - Did that. Nothing changed. Now I have an extra MAP sensor.

We quadruple checked the fluid levels in the driveline. Its good.

Now I am being told to look at my BOV because it might be failing. So I wanted to ask if anyone has ANY ideas of what is causing these issues??? Or how to tell if my BOV works? Before I drop another $400 on a new BOV I want to try my best to make sure this is actually causing my problems.
I have messed with the adjustment of my BOV a lot. IDK what im looking for but I did notice some unusual things. I tightened it a lot yesterday and it was the worst it has ever been. The throttle kept letting off even though my foot is still on the gas! Then I loosened it and my jeep did different things, but still went into crappy driving mode.
So idk what to do next.:confused:

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Out of that list, my semi-edumacated guess would be something with that vacuum manifold.

·
Premium Reformed Member
3,494 Posts
For what it's worth. I changed my mid pipes and the o2 sensors got swapped around mistakingly. It drove just like what you described as crappy driving mode. Non boosted at the time. Got the correct sensor in the correct location and all was well.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
17,169 Posts
What Chad said. Did they remove your O2 sensors at all? That can cause all kinds of issues. Well I guess they had to if they pulled the tranny.

Do this for me..... go to the Hobbs switch and undo one wire and put it with the other wire. That'll run both pumps at once. Just trying to rule out our hat. We haven't had any issues yet but that doesn't mean it couldn't be that. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

I'm still betting on the O2 sensors or bypass, more so on the sensors.

·
Premium Reformed Member
3,494 Posts
Scam- what's up with the rig, Bro?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.