Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke a bleeder off my Rear passenger side brake caliper for 2015 jeep SRT. Tried an extractor, heat everything. its done. and the extractor is even stuck. anyone know where I can find a new or use one for a decent price or a set of non-brembo for a decent price? I don't have $1200 for a pair of new ones. Actually I just need to be able to stop with 3 for a week with very little driving. I know not ideal, but its my daily when Im not leasing my work car. any ideas? manufacturers?>. members who have one?

Can I cap off the brake line to this caliper so I can bleed the other 3?

·
Registered
22 Posts
You can't drive around on three brakes, so give up that idea. Next time ask for help before you screw up loosening a bleeder screw.
As to bleeding that caliper - did you rebuild it and it's full of air? Or do you just want to bleed the brakes because someone said you should "flush" the system?
If there is air in the caliper, unbolt it from the bracket and hold it in such a way that the brake line into it is the highest point. Use the brake line tube nut ( or banjo bolt I can't remember how they are attached on that caliper ) to bleed the air out through the connection, and you'll get all the air out. Tighten and remount the caliper.
In any event if the caliper has not got air in it you can certainly bleed the other calipers without an issue. The real question is why you are bleeding the brakes.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ok JGS, just ignore SRK on this one. SRK, im a seasoned mechanic, and have been all of my life. Bleeding brakes normally is such a remedial job until you do it on one of these vehicles that have not been properly cared for, and live in a salt belt. The calipers are aluminum, and the rest of the hardware/slides are steel. What the op is talking about happens often. It happened to me as well. A simple brake job went from $500, to $1800 very quickly. I had to replace all of the calipers because at least 1 bleeder totally stripped threads. I had a machine shop refuse the work to correct it because it was a brake systems component( ?) . The threads stripped as soon as the bleeder was turned, so the advice you gave out, just leave with that nonsense, you don't know every situation. Forums are put in place to educate, not speak down to people in need of guidance. OP, you're going to have to pony up for calipers. Good luck finding them(don't go by what a Google search brings up, make anyone you speak with confirm they are physically in stock!), but you'll be ok. If you don't like the price to play, this was not a segment you should have bought into. Sell now while prices are high. Something to note: unless you have the programming, you cannot successfully bleed your brakes once they've been breached. The abs module will not allow a traditional old school bleed. Find someone who has the software and has done the bleed procedure before- it will add about $100 to the overall cost. These are facts.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wow, great comeback. Shows your lack of experience and intelligence. Re read your post, then re read mine. Go ahead, then be honest with yourself. Which reply strikes you as a keyboard warrior and which strikes as someone whose actually made a living on doing this type of work. Your advice is misguided nonsense in this matter. And even if you were remotely correct, something tells me a parts hanger is more than you've ever been. I'm not on here looking for an argument, just trying to help people.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts