Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I just tried to pull up IRWINDALE web page and theres nothing there. The drag strip and oval track share the same web page. I JUST PULLED THIS UP WITH MORE DETAIL TO THE DRAG STRIP AS IT LOOKS LIKE IT WILL ALSO BE CLOSED. I will still call monday morning to see if any1 answers.
http://www.dailynews.com/ci_19947701?source=most_viewed

If its true the drag strip will be closed then we can move our race meet from Irwindale 3/8/12 to Fontana 3/3/12 saturday OR 4/7/12 saturday and run the up hill 1/4 mile. I will keep everyone posted on the new race date as Fontana runs test n tune the 1st sat of every month.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I just called the track for the 4th time and theres just a regular recording and they open at 8am and there web site is gone and i read in another report that the drag strip ran there last race thursday 2/9/12. All we can do is hope they sell the track. Ill let our reg meet guys no about switching our meet to Fontana on 3/3/12 or 4/7/12 as there open for test n tune on the 1st sat of each month.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Speedway_at_Irwindale

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Well that sucks.

Got your message Jim...Fontana it is. Either Saturday is good for me.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I cannot for the life of me believe that there isn't someone in southern Cali that has deep pockets, is into short track and drag racing, that wouldn't want to take control of the facilities.

Before Toyota took it over, Saturday nights were a blast and as we all know, the drags have always been profitable for the track.

Lets hope it's not the end... just a pause.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
They been trying to close the POMONA fair grounds for yrs now but the city council tells them go f off lol. Bakersfeild just repaved there track in concret so they will be around for awhile. Its just to dam far to drive there and they test n tune on fri nights.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Hey Jim ghey got a test and tune at famosa this weekend sat and sunday... been talking with Don we are gonna try and go
There calling for 20% chance of rain on sun but sat looks ok. Heres sat weather at 12pm noon. Looks like good racing weather.

Based on: SAT 2/18/[email protected] NOON
Temp: 59°
Humidity: 62%
Track Altitude: 625 feet
Pressure: 29.95 in.
Altitude = +876 feet
Uncorrected N/A @ N/A
Corrected 0 @ 0

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am not a praying man... but I will be "praying" this is true!

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120221/NASCAR/120229981

I couple NASCAR friends that I know at FOX Sports said there were some big names that were really sad to see this happen to the track. Hopefully that translates into some new money and management for 2013.

I will be keeping everything crossed in hopes this gets turned around!

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
That would be cool...maybe some of those high dollar WK2 owners can chip in. :D

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I hope things work out as i no FONTANA will be slow for us as when i called the track the gal there said yes the track is up hill and what i found out its 1% up and thats .2 in the 1/8 and .3 in the 1/4 slower than Famoso.

·
Spinning aint winning!!
1,038 Posts
I was on the fence cause I will be at fontana this weekend for a autocross but it looks like I will be there next weekend for drag racing to along with my uncle in his lightning all you jeep guys feel free to park by us if you want. But we ussually park towards the back by the entrance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.