Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So pretty much as long as i have had the Jeep. I noticed this weird vibration when driving at higher speeds(and lower speeds sometimes). Took it to dealership on numerous occasions complaining about it and they always claim there is nothing wrong.. I have went thur replacing Wheels, Tires, Rotors, Pads... back to wheel shop and dealership few times for Balancing/Alignment and still no luck. Recently the rear differential was worked on(of course warranty just expired) and was hoping that was the maybe the problem. nope. :frown2: This has been doing this for years but Just went on a 3000 mile road trip and it was so obnoxious shaking/vibrating the entire way. I noticed it comes and goes on a repeated timing... Will be smooth for about 2 minutes, then start to progressive shake and get worse(peak) and then slowly fade off after about 4-5 min. Then smooth for 2 min and soo on and so on the whole way... Its more noticeable around 65-85 mph and goes away at a bout 90mph. (Will do this in neutral when coasting too at highway speeds) But this Drives me insaaane, and not to mention it shaking/vibrating the clips off my front bumper and i constantly have to push bumper panels back in...

Has anyone ever experienced something like this before on there rides? Its to the point where if i cant get this figured out soon, Will more then likely be gettign rid of the jeep. Dont get me wrong i love the SRT's but cant deal with it anymore. This is kinda my last ditch effort so please any feed-back is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance fellas!!

·
The ModMan
5,764 Posts
This sucks, sorry to hear. Don't get rid of the Jeep, there should be an explanation.

Did they check the complete steering setup? Maybe something is loose. Strange that is comes and goes though, wonder if that could be engine related?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have had the same problem for almost a year.

New tires, brakes, rotors, alignment, etc. Doesn't matter, still shakes with no rhyme or reason. Mine is usually around 70MPH. Of course, the dealer says there is nothing wrong, but the dealer here is terrible. I gave up on it as I had no concrete evidence to bring back to them other than "I swear it's shaking".

·
Registered
7,778 Posts
I was on my phone and the poster's sig looked wk1-ish. I have been thinking about a wk2 but had not heard they are subject to the infamous highway shake that the wk1's suffer ... driven a bunch of wk2's and have not experienced this.

FWIW I don't have that issue with my WK2

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NOt MDS related as this was pretty much disabled with my custom "Toona" tune. I feel its drive terrain related... I agree that it may be the drive shaft. Is there a way to check it before just replacing it? And anyone have one (From a WK2) laying around in good shape willing to sell?? lol.

·
Premium Member
2013 Wk2 Srt8
136 Posts
Have you checked universal joints there maybe one or more bearings gone on the spider. This is a cheap easy job to do yourself donrtimes a bearing had a manufacturing defect from new the vibration maybe coming and going as load shifts on the engine I.e uphill and downhill. It's enough to throw the driveshaft out of balance

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello... Did you ever solve your vibrating problem? I have a similar issue on my 2017 GC SRT... vibrating / pulsing at highway speeds. New tires, new brakes, no issues with wheels... But it's still there.

Thanks for your help.

-David

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have this same problem on my 2017 model. I took it to jeep the other day and he explained that it is to do with the 8 cylinder engine reducing to 4 cylinders (meant to be more economical). Apparently it is not an issue it is just how the engine responds when changing from 8 to 4 cylinders. I am not sure whether this is correct but it is what I was told. i find mine happens between 60-80km/h and even at lower speeds around the 40Km/h mark. Would be interested to know if anyone else has any further info.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I have this same problem on my 2017 model. I took it to jeep the other day and he explained that it is to do with the 8 cylinder engine reducing to 4 cylinders (meant to be more economical). Apparently it is not an issue it is just how the engine responds when changing from 8 to 4 cylinders. I am not sure whether this is correct but it is what I was told. i find mine happens between 60-80km/h and even at lower speeds around the 40Km/h mark. Would be interested to know if anyone else has any further info.
They were wrong.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have a slight vibration coming from the front end of my ‘14, needed new tires anyway but after replacing tires I still have the same vibration @ 70mph. Anyone figure this out that can save me some time?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I also have a slight vibration coming from the front end of my ‘14, needed new tires anyway but after replacing tires I still have the same vibration @ 70mph. Anyone figure this out that can save me some time?
Mine is at 70 too but it only happens intermittently. It's a defect in the entire Grand Cherokee line. Something in the suspension.

My solution: go 75 MPH. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
671 Posts
Idk bout the front end Vib’s but i had this randomly w my Wk1 back in day and turned out to be an out of Balance D’shaft!
N

1 - 20 of 31 Posts