Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone attempt to install a MyGig Lockpick on the WK2 SRT8 yet? I'm assuming it will work considering it is the same radio as the other ones. Also wondering how difficult it will be to get to the back of the radio and take apart the dash?

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I have ordered a CHR550 lockpick... will not be installed until at least 8/11, will update once it's in.

I have a lockpick in my 2010, it worked like a charm and was not too difficult to install.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I fixed it..... I just wasn't careful when I pushed the connectors together. Bent 2 pins by accident. Easily bent them back into place. Works perfectly now. Excellent wire lengths. Fits perfectly in the dash. It would have been a 15 min install if I didn't bend the pins.

The absolute best thing about lock pic.... The factory jeep has only accessory outlets (when the car is powered) except in the trunk. in my ctsV I used to charge my phone at night in the car. Since I bought the jeep I have had to leave my phone in the trunk to charge it overnight. I also have iPhone, blackberry and iPad so it was really a pain. The lock pick gives you a live wire to the battery..... So I just bought a plug at RadioShack and put it in the compartment below the a/c unit (where I located my lock pick. Now I charge my accessories there and it charges when the car is off. Jeep should provide you with this feature, but sadly does not. Thankfully the lock pick helped give me the idea.

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
RivetPro

Any install pics during or after? What model did you get? I've been needing to buy one. Just been putting it off since I'm out on business travels. So no modding the Jeep for a few more weeks.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

·
Registered
112 Posts
the link below doesnt give me the warm and fuzzy.......

have you noticed any weird quirky behaviors?

Amazon Reviews of CHR550 Lockpick
Honestly, I didn't have the same experience with customer service. I sent them an email, they told me to check the pins, I fixed it and it worked. Their answer was timely. As for functionality, it does what it says it does (so far). Steering controls work although I have no idea if it works with iPod video. I'm enjoying the other features for now,,., and I wouldn't think to control the iPod with the steering well and even if it didn't I can just simply press the screen be perfectly happy. There are a few weird things but then again it's a hack for car.

·
2,570 Posts
I put the v.5 lockpick in my truck a couple weeks ago, love it. Like rivetpro said, be careful to not bend the pins when you plug in the harness. Other than that, super simple and nice features.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I took some pics.... Im not an expert at uploading.... There is no convenient home for pictures like there is for video on you tube.

http://photobucket.com/Srt8lockpick

It placed them in the wrong order, So go last first. I'm not an expert at uploading to photobucket.

Key points:
Use short wide flat head to get beneath corners. Pry left and right side until it comes out of the clips. Use your hands to pull the rest of the way from the top.

Remove two cables connecting the AC unit. Both have clips grey one has a clip on the bottom and the black one has a clip on its right side. Remove ac head unit. This part I didn't take pictures off but it's quite easy to remove the screws out of the radio therefore screws one on each corner loosen them with a metric nutdriver. Take out the head unit disconnect the wire harness from the back of the radio there too I think it was black and gray the lock pick instructions are clearly spelled out in this case I just follow that.

Once you get it all connected with the lock pick instructions I will tell you how I route the cable. My lock box is in the compartment underneath the steering wheel heater. Route the cable from the back of the head unit around the corner of the stereos chassis beside the air conditioning vent down to the compartment just below the steering wheel heater. You will have to get into the very back corner where there is a little hole to access space for you to put the cables and link up to the lock pick box. In that compartment I also hooked up a direct battery cables so I have full-time power to my iPhone for charging even when the cars off. Good luck

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Here are my (crappy at best) pics from my install, very straight forward, everything works great... have no complaints at all. Was tight fitting everything in, but it fit. At all costs, be VERY CAREFUL with the connections, especially the iPod cable as it is fragile.

Instead of running the iPod cable into the center console storage department, I ran it into the glove box and have the iPod tucked into the owners manual "bag" that is stored in the top portion of the glove box. Worked out great!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Here are my (crappy at best) pics from my install, very straight forward, everything works great... have no complaints at all. Was tight fitting everything in, but it fit. At all costs, be VERY CAREFUL with the connections, especially the iPod cable as it is fragile.

Instead of running the iPod cable into the center console storage department, I ran it into the glove box and have the iPod tucked into the owners manual "bag" that is stored in the top portion of the glove box. Worked out great!
Thanks for the picks. I can tell from the top pic but is the mygig installed behind the radio or above it?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Behind it... there is JUST enough room to slide the lockpick in behind it with all of the wires. VERY tight fit.

If you look at the second pic in the area where the AC connection wires are there is one of the gold RCA connectors from the lockpick and you can barely make out the bottom of it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I love smokey and the bandit. I guess those who like high performance cars love the bandit. Pretty funny that you had the DVD in it during the install.

Favorite line "when I get home I'm Gunnar punch yo momma in the mouth"

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I did get the cable from Coastal though I did not wire in the key off feature. Can always do so in the future if I need to.

Smokey and the Bandit is always in que for when I get board sitting in the car.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Radar detector wiring:::::::

Maybe I should start. New thread but I like this one.

I came up with a neat way to wire it without making it irreversible. Also kept clean, no splicing, with a (6.00 radio shack bill). No need for the 40.00 cable you could buy. Let me know if anyone is interested in it and I will try to explain what I did with pics,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Radar detector wiring:::::::

Maybe I should start. New thread but I like this one.

I came up with a neat way to wire it without making it irreversible. Also kept clean, no splicing, with a (6.00 radio shack bill). No need for the 40.00 cable you could buy. Let me know if anyone is interested in it and I will try to explain what I did with pics,
Yes Please.....! Radar wiring is always good to know

Also Has anyone attempted side or front view cameras with Lockpick? I was thinking about this install. I can see some 170Deg Cameras with Drill mount on ebay.

·
Registered
44 Posts
OP, update on the lockpick operation? All well? I'm really considering this but don't really want to deal with any funky quirks like having to reboot the radio like a windows desktop or loosing steering wheel buttons. I was trying to nav a restaurant in white plains last night and it burned my balls that I had to pull over.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.