Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's official, after much research and gut wrenching decisions I placed my order. I went with HHP/BES 426 custom sportsmen with their ported and polished stage four heads and cam and tourq converter. They will also custom dyno tune for me before shipping my truck back to me.

I should have her back before the end of this month. I requested a video of the first start as well as the dyno so I will post it when I get it.

So now I have to deal with that can't wait till x-mass morning feeling!! I can't wait to see how this sounds through my corsa exhaust and the first WOT I do. Not sure what to expect but I'm sure it will be fun!!

·
Has Been
8,532 Posts
Congrats man sounds like a great build you're going to have. Do you know what the bore and the stroke of the motor will be? Also what is the LSA of the camshaft you are using? Which torque converter? Might want to consider adding headers as well while you are getting this install done as it will save money, and they are very useful when you increase cubes as they help the motor breathe better.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't want to charge any of this purchase so the headers will have to wait till x-mass. What can you do right can't be greedy. I went with their HHPNASTCMR series lsa, coveter was A pro trq think we will be in the 10.3-11 range compression.

This should be a nice end result build that should shut up all these camaros around my area. I want to keep a nice sleeper look with just a little more under the hood that's all, not to much.

·
That'l Buff Out
1,559 Posts
alll these winter builds adding up is sweet :D good luck man!

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks man. I know there is a few of us doing builds right now, though, I'm not doing the major work that some are.

Jps, I see you used kings for work. I think they do a nice job what is it like working with them? I would like to dress it up

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
Congrats man , like john said , I would squeeze and get the headers done if i were you ... charge it if you have too ..big gains and big savings since they have to come off anyways .

·
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
8,565 Posts
Congrats man , like john said , I would squeeze and get the headers done if i were you ... charge it if you have too ..big gains and big savings since they have to come off anyways .
+1 do the headers now. Much easier & WAY cheaper than doing them later. Congrats.

Jim

·
Has Been
8,532 Posts
I didn't want to charge any of this purchase so the headers will have to wait till x-mass. What can you do right can't be greedy. I went with their HHPNASTCMR series lsa, coveter was A pro trq think we will be in the 10.3-11 range compression.

This should be a nice end result build that should shut up all these camaros around my area. I want to keep a nice sleeper look with just a little more under the hood that's all, not to much.
Yeah I understand, it's definitely not a cheap build by any means. Ok nice. Do you plan on keeping it NA forever/a couple months/a year etc.? That's what you should base your Comp Ratio off of.

Haha oh man I sure hope you're crushing camaros with a 426 otherwise your tune or motor is not so good haha. Yeah I love how this big power adder looks OEM and keeps everything factory looking. Ultimate sleeper look.

Jps, I see you used kings for work. I think they do a nice job what is it like working with them? I would like to dress it up
They do an incredible job and even better their customer service is top notch. I have absolutely no complaints about all the transactions and experiences I have ever had with them. They will treat you and your install like its their own. Here is a link to my photo bucket and you can see the work they did for me:
http://s1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb458/jps043/

Let me know if you want to get in contact with the employees at King as I know them very well and will gladly share their info.

My point exactly.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't charge anything anymore, last year I paid off all my debt and got rid of all my credit cards but my bank one. Best move I ever made.

Besides our stock headers are not that bad and I still will see a nice improvement. I would rather pay extra in labor charges later then ever use charge cards again. I'm a firm believer if you don't have the cash to do something it's better to wait. I just have no motor right now so I can't wait lol

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
I don't charge anything anymore, last year I paid off all my debt and got rid of all my credit cards but my bank one. Best move I ever made.

Besides our stock headers are not that bad and I still will see a nice improvement
. I would rather pay extra in labor charges later then ever use charge cards again. I'm a firm believer if you don't have the cash to do something it's better to wait. I just have no motor right now so I can't wait lol
I understand where you coming from , but the bold statement is not true , headers will add huge gains specially on a 426 IMO

Reactions: 1BAMFR

·
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
8,565 Posts
I would get a quote for installing headers later. You will probably change your mind. Most places the install cost is as much as the headers themselves. No headers on a nice motor like that is cutting yourself short. Also the Jeeps stock headers are restrictive. They are the reason we lose 5hp over the other 6.1's

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree I did not mean to sound as if I thought our stock headers are as good as aftermarket. I was just saying they are not the worse thing out there as far as stock.

I will def do the headers next, I just could not do it all at once as this was an unexpected purchase right now due to my motor blown. In a perfect world I would have saved a little for this build but as I need my car back fast and we are almost at a month now I'm pressed for time.

I chose to go the torq convertor over the headers to play it safe with my stock trans. Unless someone knows of a cheap header set I will have to wait. I'm still looking at at least 500hp at the wheels.

Would you do headers ove convertor?

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
I would do headers over a converter all day , do converter later .. the power will still be there + more .. and now with headers i think you'll be around 500 to the tires .. That 426 will rip with out a converter no matter what ..

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought the convertor was the safer route so I won't have problems with my trans. Am I wrong?

From the numbers hhp were talking about with this build even with out headers I would be pushing it with out the convertor

·
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
8,565 Posts
A Builder Bill stage 2 valve body or some blue top solenoids will help tranny life more than the converter. Those are easy enough to do later. OBX has some cheap headers there are some reviews on here somewhere. I went with the SW 1 7/8 non catted I think they are around 1340 from Maryland Speed & they were on SW rapid build list, check SW website.

I'm in the same boat as you with my build, still have a working motor though. Talking money wise. Spending a bit more now will save a lot later.

Jim

Just checked Marylandspeeds website for you they are back on sale for 1207 free s/h, what I paid.
http://marylandspeed.com/stainlessworks-long-tube-headers-1-78x-3-w-off-road-mid-pipes-20062009-jeep-cherokee-srt8-hemi-607533767bt-p-2134.html

·
Has Been
8,532 Posts
I would do headers over a converter all day , do converter later .. the power will still be there + more .. and now with headers i think you'll be around 500 to the tires .. That 426 will rip with out a converter no matter what ..

x1000000. You won't really need a TC with all the low end torque you will be making with a 426. Headers are way more important.

Reactions: Colt and m4xm1l10n

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought the obx would not pass emissions. I don't need that head ache. You guys are killing me lol. I'm stuck with the funds issue. He'll we all want more and more but at a point you have to think smart, I'm not going to go into debt for an extra 30 or so HP.

I know I will pay more later but IMO I have to stop somewhere and work with my budget. Even if it cost me double in a few months at least I can set aside extra funds for that.

Trust me I already started to justify the extra money in my head and what to tell the wife but I can't be greedy lol. I promised her a few things before my motor blew and she deserves them. I can wait till x-mass for the extra HP. Besides I can spin it with the I sacrificed for me so you can have with the wife lol gets me so much more the added HP lol. (evil grin)

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What is an easier install headers or convertor? Crap, see now I will call them and see what the difference will be in price for the headers over the convertor. I just want to make sure I have the smoothest riding set up as this will be daily. I can give up some power for smooth idle and transfer.

You guys know a lot more then I do so i def appreciate your guidance!!

·
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
8,565 Posts
Are you sure they said convertor & not flex plate? You don't need a convertor IMO. There are a couple built NA guys running them on here but most aren't. A convertor is really for FI guys so they can build boost off the line to take advantage of their turbo or SC. Pretty sure Keoni still had his stock convertor with like 800whp (not sure of the exact number but it was up there) He did switch though for the above reason.

Jim

1 - 20 of 115 Posts