Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just isn't my week whatsoever! For the last few days I've been having starting issues. The truck would lose fuel pressure when not running pretty quickly. It would drop from 60psi to 20 in about 5 seconds when you shut it off.

I remember reading about someone on here having a crack hose or something or other inside the tank about a month ago. Sounded like the same issues but I don't know who it was.

I would try and start it and it woudl just turn over. I'd turn the key off and try again and it would start and run just fine. Well, today I'm inline to pick up 2 of my boys from school and I see the fuel pressure dropping. 50 then 45 then 40. I grabbed the kids and headed home. I managed to get it into boost and boom, fuel pressure went up to 65 like always. So I pulled into the auto parts store to grab a philips head. I took the wires off the Hobbs switch and put them together. Fired it up. 60psi like normal. Started to drive home.

A few minutes later, fuel pressure is dropping again.:( I went to long way which is a 25mph zone. Got 1 mile from the house and the fuel pressure was 20psi.:fu: Almost made it. Pulled into a driveway where they knocked the house down for the lot. It's been sitting there for an hour. Just got a call from Camel Towing that they are on the way. Gotta meet them in about 20 mins.

I have to say that in 91K miles, this is the first time it's left me stranded. Have no clue what it is but my guess is it's the same thing the mystery forum member had with a cracked tube or pipe or something or other in the tank. There are no visable fuel leaks anywhere.

This is one of the MAIN REASONS I preach to you guys about having a fuel pressure gauge. I knew what was going on. Some guys wouldn't know and maybe have punched it and leaned the Holy Hell out of their engines. Fuel Pressure Gauges FTMFW!

I'll throw a pic of my Jeep on a flatbed for the first time. Camel Towing FTW!:lol:

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
Are you low on fuel by any chance , I've being reading the hack of the fuel system lately , and most are saying to not run low on fuel on the double walbro pumps , as they need fuel to stay cool or else they will heat up and fail over time .. Is this true ? Hope is a crack hose or something .

·
Premium Member
17,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope.... got a half a tank.

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
Lol following Harrison's lead

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
GL man , keep us posted on this please ..

·
Spinning aint winning!!
1,038 Posts
This just isn't my week whatsoever! For the last few days I've been having starting issues. The truck would lose fuel pressure when not running pretty quickly. It would drop from 60psi to 20 in about 5 seconds when you shut it off.

I remember reading about someone on here having a crack hose or something or other inside the tank about a month ago. Sounded like the same issues but I don't know who it was.

I would try and start it and it woudl just turn over. I'd turn the key off and try again and it would start and run just fine. Well, today I'm inline to pick up 2 of my boys from school and I see the fuel pressure dropping. 50 then 45 then 40. I grabbed the kids and headed home. I managed to get it into boost and boom, fuel pressure went up to 65 like always. So I pulled into the auto parts store to grab a philips head. I took the wires off the Hobbs switch and put them together. Fired it up. 60psi like normal. Started to drive home.

A few minutes later, fuel pressure is dropping again.:( I went to long way which is a 25mph zone. Got 1 mile from the house and the fuel pressure was 20psi.:fu: Almost made it. Pulled into a driveway where they knocked the house down for the lot. It's been sitting there for an hour. Just got a call from Camel Towing that they are on the way. Gotta meet them in about 20 mins.

I have to say that in 91K miles, this is the first time it's left me stranded. Have no clue what it is but my guess is it's the same thing the mystery forum member had with a cracked tube or pipe or something or other in the tank. There are no visable fuel leaks anywhere.

This is one of the MAIN REASONS I preach to you guys about having a fuel pressure gauge. I knew what was going on. Some guys wouldn't know and maybe have punched it and leaned the Holy Hell out of their engines. Fuel Pressure Gauges FTMFW!

I'll throw a pic of my Jeep on a flatbed for the first time. Camel Towing FTW!:lol:
Yeah Harrison drop that tank and check your fuel lines I don't know what you have done to your fuel system but mine was modified when i installed the new updated vortech kit.

·
Premium Member
17,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh I'll never tell my exact fuel system setup.;) There's nothing to it really. Just some pumps and fittings.:D I know there's a leak somewhere. I know it's not external so it's gotta be in the tank somewhere. Your post immediately popped into my head. Your thread definitely made sense once I had both pumps running at the same time and pressure was still dropping. I knew it wasn't a bad pump then. I must have made the split bigger. I'll know something soon.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Damn Harrison, sorry to hear it... Keep us posted, and good luck!

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts

Damn thi suck s bro... Hope you get the beast fixed soon! That member you talk about with the hose issue his name is "sankaku.garami"...

Reactions: TheBRICK

·
"guy with the crazy Jeep"
4,862 Posts
Been there done that...

For the most part these motors run or they don't... If they don't chances are very good its a fuel pressure problem.

·
Registered
746 Posts

Sorry to hear about your fuel problems Harrison n good luck getting them worked out. The good news is you picked right up on the problem before you went lean and caused some really expensive problems. I have a Vortec install that will be happening in a week or two and I have a column mounted wideband and a boost/vacuum gauge for my A pillar. I was debating on what other gauge to put in the second A pillar pod, now after reading your post that's a no brainer.

Thanks again for sharing man.

Reactions: TheBRICK

·
Premium Member
17,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Sorry to hear about your fuel problems Harrison n good luck getting them worked out. The good news is you picked right up on the problem before you went lean and caused some really expensive problems. I have a Vortec install that will be happening in a week or two and I have a column mounted wideband and a boost/vacuum gauge for my A pillar. I was debating on what other gauge to put in the second A pillar pod, now after reading your post that's a no brainer.

Thanks again for sharing.
It's a definite no brainer. Esp. guys running one pump. Luckily for me I run two pumps. When I come on boost the other kicks in so I wasn't leaning out. I could watch the FP drop though when I wasn't in boost. Luckily my Nexus gauges are programable. It caught my eye when it went red on me.:D Nexus gauges FTW! I've seen guys run the FP gauges under the hood on the rail but...... what's the point? You'll never see it when you need it. You're making a smart choice RMon!

Reactions: m4xm1l10n

·
"guy with the crazy Jeep"
4,862 Posts
It's a definite no brainer. Esp. guys running one pump. Luckily for me I run two pumps. When I come on boost the other kicks in so I wasn't leaning out. I could watch the FP drop though when I wasn't in boost. Luckily my Nexus gauges are programable. It caught my eye when it went red on me.:D Nexus gauges FTW! I've seen guys run the FP gauges under the hood on the rail but...... what's the point? You'll never see it when you need it. You're making a smart choice RMon!
Hey now... You could also mount the gauge on the windshield wiper arm... :D

·
Premium Member
17,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey now... You could also mount the gauge on the windshield wiper arm... :D
Buwahahaha..... that was funny man. Shadetree westside engineering right there!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts