Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my personal review of the brake pads I have used. I am only commenting on front pads because the rears last longer and I don't change them until it is necessary

Stock-- Good stopping power. Bad for dust. I have used them twice on track days. they hold up pretty well and don't dust as bad when driving around a course like a maniac. Would not buy again unless they can be found for $100. Dealer prices are ridiculous.

EBC Yellowstuff-- Good stopping power. Less dust than stock. Track day pad. Works best when warmed up. These pads disappeared in 65 miles on Road America. While I was driving home I hit metal and ruined the rotors. The pads work good but they are short lived. If I need to buy 2 sets for a track day, they are not the pads for me. I would not buy these again either but mostly due to their short life span. I also contacted EBC and they stated that I should only get around 2-3 sessions out of them but that was after my road course. They were right but if I went out on the track one more time I might have been in a wall or worse.

Bendix MKD 1149-- Very similiar to stock in every facet. Rumor has it that Bendix makes the pads for our Brembos at a price less than the dealers. I believe these pads cross reference to the LX vehicles in case you look them up and do see them for the Jeep. I would buy these again if I had to but there are better options around the price point which is $100 or below. They held up good at the track. Still had 1/2 left when I returned home.

Hawk HPS-- Worse than stock stopping power. Great for all the less dust guys. These have to be the worst pads I have had so far. It didn't matter if they were warm or cold, they just didn't stop very well. I would not buy these again either but that is due to the increased stopping distances. I know R1 concepts like recommending them but I don't.

StopTech-- Better than stock stopping power. Less dust than stock but not less than or equal to the Hawk HPS. These pads from the moment I went to bed them, I was shocked. I always bed my brakes in the same area and know where I usually had to stop to get to the stop sign. Time and time again I was stopping (not a complete stop) well before the sign. At the track it was the same deal. I could go deeper into the corners than I have ever been before. They held up well with 1/2 the pads left after the track. I would buy these again, in fact, I have bought a full set for my next change.

I hope this helps with some options for the guys wanting to make a change.
Also, none of my pads have ever squealed so I am not the one to ask about noise. I think that my driving style is a lot different than most on here so that would be the main reason. I also experimented with my last change by not using any anti squeal on any of the pads(front/rear) and the only time I get any noise is in reverse and stopping really slowly(5-0mph).

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Stock-- Good stopping power. Bad for dust. I have used them twice on track days. they hold up pretty well and don't dust as bad when driving around a course like a maniac. Would not buy again unless they can be found for $100. Dealer prices are ridiculous.

Bendix MKD 1149-- Very similiar to stock in every facet. Rumor has it that Bendix makes the pads for our Brembos at a price less than the dealers. I believe these pads cross reference to the LX vehicles in case you look them up and do see them for the Jeep. I would buy these again if I had to but there are better options around the price point which is $100 or below. They held up good at the track. Still had 1/2 left when I returned home.

StopTech-- Better than stock stopping power. Less dust than stock but not less than or equal to the Hawk HPS. These pads from the moment I went to bed them, I was shocked. I always bed my brakes in the same area and know where I usually had to stop to get to the stop sign. Time and time again I was stopping (not a complete stop) well before the sign. At the track it was the same deal. I could go deeper into the corners than I have ever been before. They held up well with 1/2 the pads left after the track. I would buy these again, in fact, I have bought a full set for my next change.
Good write up

I'd have to agree on the three above as those are the pads I have had experience with

Went thru the stocks first with one track day and they did very well. Don't remember how many miles I had on them.

I think the Bendix for the money can't be beat if you can live with the break dust. You can find them on Amazon pretty cheap but then again for a little more you can get stoptechs.

I now have the stop techs not because I wore out the Bendix but because I was swapping the rotors out and decided to change them. Stop techs are great and the reduced brake dust is icing on the cake. Still get brake dust but not as bad as the stocks or the Bendix. I have only driven with the stop techs on the road but that doesn't prevent me from pushing them and they have done well

Both times I have changed them I used a spray on disc brake quieter and have not had any brake noise

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Thanks for the info. Great write up!

One of the WORST purchases I have made was buying a set of Posi-quiet pads for the fronts. The rear is no big deal, they dont squeak or anything.
But the front pads, holy crap they suck. They make it feel like im stopping a semi when I hit the brakes.

I think I will get a set of stoptechs next. Thanks.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm not a big fan of Hawks for the street. The HPS and HP+ produe far too much dust and are always noisy. I even tried their truck-specific pad, i think LTX? Hawk blues do work great on the track but you need to heat them up and I would never use them on the street because of this and the noise. Ceramic pads in general are quiet but stop like garbage in my experience.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I have had the HP HAWK pads on now for 20,000 miles on the front only and just had them checked and theres 75% left and they been great but i agree there not as good as the brembo pads.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Whatever you do, don't get posi quiets!! Yes they will cut down on brake dust... But they are so bad at stopping its dangerous!
I'm gonna have to get new front pads now... But the posi quiets in the rear are ok.. No noise at all. It's only the front that really sucks.

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,142 Posts
Whatever you do, don't get posi quiets!! Yes they will cut down on brake dust... But they are so bad at stopping its dangerous!
I'm gonna have to get new front pads now... But the posi quiets in the rear are ok.. No noise at all. It's only the front that really sucks.
I think any pad that is dustless is a bad pad for our rigs cuz they do not stop like the Brembo pads... I have a set of Hawk Ceramic pads in the front and the dust is very low on them, but they suck when stopping and make my ABS kick in.... If you want a pad that stops its going to have to be something that is softer material and that will create dust IMO.....

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Thanks for this thread Chad. Very helpful in my decision making process. Little bump for other people trying to decide.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Im pretty happy with the stoptech performance street pads. Decent bite, moderate dust, and low noise. Sometimes they squeak when its wet out but its liveable.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Flamesuit on for this basic one, but is it the same pad WK1 to WK2 calipers? Cheers heaps -reviews like this save us all $$$ & grief :)

PS - Assume you are referring to the Street Performance pad? http://www.stoptech.com/products/brake-pads Any supporting vendors?

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Flamesuit on for this basic one, but is it the same pad WK1 to WK2 calipers? Cheers heaps -reviews like this save us all $$$ & grief :)

PS - Assume you are referring to the Street Performance pad? http://www.stoptech.com/products/brake-pads Any supporting vendors?
No, you have 6 piston calipers up front. The rears are the same. Check with Demon Performance and Speed Logix for brake pads that will work on the WK2

Reactions: Bono392

·
Turbo Powered
443 Posts
Thanks for the write up! Great info on here.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I agree 100% with Chad's reviews. I've had Stock, Hawks, and Stoptechs. Hawks were complete garbage. Horrible stopping power. I love my Stoptechs more than anything else. Better stopping power than stock with less dust. Can't beat that.

·
Registered
251 Posts
No, you have 6 piston calipers up front.
Thanks Chad - My bad, I was going off your sig stating 6-piston wilwoods on your rig. Will drop those guys a note. Ta! :)

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Chad - My bad, I was going off your sig stating 6-piston wilwoods on your rig. Will drop those guys a note. Ta! :)
If you look at the date I posted the thread I still had a regular setup. Plus I made that thread even before that date on other forums as I was on hiatus from here.

Reactions: gspfunk and Bono392

·
Registered
27 Posts
I put on the ProStop (PepBoys brand name)/Satisfied/Pro Ceramic PR1149-C full ceramic after replacing my EBC Reds. Only have had the ProStops on for maybe 200 miles but a big upgrade from the Reds. PR1145-C are much smoother (EBC Red's seemed rough after I installed the drilled/slotted R1 rotors). I fought the squeal with the EBC's from day one,eventually solving it with backing material @ ALL metal to metal contact points. Not with the ProStop's. No roughness now, quite, no squeal. I don't know about ProStops other claims yet of Longer Life or Low Dust. There is no metal in them, ala stock pads. Inside of my wheels I got the rust transfer syndrome of the stock pads and it became impossible to remove the metal (rust) in the particles which attach's themselves to the inside of the wheel.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I am looking to replace my stock pads with stoptechs..are these good for my truck being that it is my daily driver or are they only recomended for track days?

also considering changing the rotors...r1s...not sure if it is necessary being that i dont track my car..

advice and reviews on pads and rotors woul dbe appreciated...after reading this thread i will not be buying hawk pads..

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.