Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everybody,

Over a year and a half ago I had bought the Mopar Lowering Springs set and I finally got around to getting them installed on my 2018 JGC SRT. I had read all kinds of discussions about how other people had them installed and about the possible issues that might happen. I decided to have the local Jeep dealer install them because I didn't know who else could install them that would be nearby where I live. When I went to go pick it up from the dealer I thought I noticed that the front end didn't look like it had been lowered, but I just though it was an illusion. I drove it home and it dawned on me that something was definately wrong.

Here's a pic of the side of my rig:

The front end is WAY too high and the rear end was lower than it should be.

My thoughts on what happened was that the rear springs were installed in the front, and the front springs where installed in the rear.

I took it back to the dealer and told them that this didn't look right at all, and that from my research it looks like the front and rear springs were swapped. I looked at the springs in the front and I noticed that the springs have that gray plastic or rubber strip that was pasted on the coils of 2 of the springs. My understanding is that those are the rear springs. Unfortunately, the installation instructions for the lowering springs do not specify which springs are the front and rear springs so I don't have any authoritative knowledge of which springs go where. My research seems to point that the springs which have the gray covering on them are the rear springs.

Anyways, the dealer had looked it over and they came back to me saying that the springs were installed correctly, and that the reason why the front end was raised up was because the springs still need to settle. My gut was telling me that was wrong, but since I don't have any authoritative data or documentation on hand other than what I've read on Jeep/SRT discussing boards, I'm not able to get my point across.

I did mention to them that I had read that other JGC SRT owners have had similar experiences with having the rear and front spring swapped around, but the service guys then came back and said that it was impossible to install the front springs in the rear and the rear springs in the front, as in being physically impossible.

I know that the installation is messed up but I'm not sure how to proceed. What I am hoping to do is to try to find an advocate on my behalf who can somehow get FCA to send this dealer the documentation and the authority to tell them that they are wrong and that they need to complete the lowering springs installation. I understand that JeepCares may be able to help, but I was also wondering if anybody had any observations about any of this. I guess I should have gone to a independent service shop to get this done, but I thought I would give the dealer a try. I just want them to make it right, because I paid a bunch of $$$ (too much really) to get these installed. Ugh! Live and learn...

Thanks everybody for taking the time to read my rambling post!
-R

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello again,

I should probably focus on what I'm trying to ask concerning this. Does anybody have any knowledge (documentation, specifications, etc) which I can then take to the service department in order so I can convince them that they have swapped my front and rear springs? They either don't believe me or that they are so set in their initial assumptions on how to install them that they won't budge. I have a feeling that they have never had to install these springs on a WK2 SRT, so they are just making assumptions on how to install them. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again Everybody,
-R

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello again,

I should probably focus on what I'm trying to ask concerning this. Does anybody have any knowledge (documentation, specifications, etc) which I can then take to the service department in order so I can convince them that they have swapped my front and rear springs? They either don't believe me or that they are so set in their initial assumptions on how to install them that they won't budge. I have a feeling that they have never had to install these springs on a WK2 SRT, so they are just making assumptions on how to install them. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again Everybody,
-R
Sorry to hear of these concerns! If you would like to discuss this with a member of our team or would like someone to work alongside you and the dealer during repairs, please call Jeep Cares at 877-426-5337.

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
121 Posts
You have them backwards. I did the same thing. Had to switch them and it was fine. Also, I called Andy at eastcoastmoparts.com when it happened to me and he said this has happened several times because they do not label them. Bigger diameter springs in front smaller diameter with the plastic isolators in rear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to hear of these concerns! If you would like to discuss this with a member of our team or would like someone to work alongside you and the dealer during repairs, please call Jeep Cares at 877-426-5337.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Thank you! I also called up the Jeep SRT support number and I was provided a case number. I can provide that to you directly if you're able to use it.

The Jeep SRT rep contacted the service department and they told her exactly what they had told me, that it's impossible to swap the front and rear springs around. She is asking me to go back to the dealer, this time with the receipt of the springs when I bought them back in July '19, to prove that they are a "Mopar part". I guess I'll be going back to the dealer and try to convince them that they're wrong.

-R

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have them backwards. I did the same thing. Had to switch them and it was fine.
That is what I had thought as well. Now, it's getting them to at the very least to revisit their assessment. I'm not sure how I can convince them, short of the Mopar Gods to come down from the mountain with the sacred texts to explain that fact to them.

-R

·
Registered
121 Posts
That is what I had thought as well. Now, it's getting them to at the very least to revisit their assessment. I'm not sure how I can convince them, short of the Mopar Gods to come down from the mountain with the sacred texts to explain that fact to them.

-R
This is what ours looked like when I put them on backwards. Pain in the butt but I swapped it and looked good afterwards. It is indeed possible to put them on wrong.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thank you! I also called up the Jeep SRT support number and I was provided a case number. I can provide that to you directly if you're able to use it.

The Jeep SRT rep contacted the service department and they told her exactly what they had told me, that it's impossible to swap the front and rear springs around. She is asking me to go back to the dealer, this time with the receipt of the springs when I bought them back in July '19, to prove that they are a "Mopar part". I guess I'll be going back to the dealer and try to convince them that they're wrong.

-R
You can certainly send our team a private message that includes the case number and we can update it accordingly with your outreach. However, it sounds like your agent has you on the right track so it may not be necessary. If you run into any issues contacting your agent or would like to discuss further, don't hesitate to reach out.

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE

This morning I drove over to the dealer and spoke with the service manager. I will be bringing my SRT back to the shop tomorrow morning and they will "attempt" to swap around the front and rear springs.

I have to admit, I'm at a loss as why there is so much confusion about all of this. I'm not going to assign any sinister motives on anybody who is involved with this because we are nowhere near that point as of yet. I think there's just a ton of assumptions and misunderstandings about this entire thing.

What I really need now is to find any picture, any document, which shows how these springs should be installed. I would love to walk in to the shop tomorrow and hand over a ton of visual proof that on how springs should be installed. I can just see them installing them upside down or not having the labels facing outboard. I really, really hope that tomorrow will be the last time that I have to deal with this! I just want to enjoy my Jeep! :cool:

-R

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another update!

I brought it in this morning and later on when I came back, it looked like they were able to "fix" it! I will share a pic of it tomorrow, but everything looks right and it rides more like it should have in the first place.

I measured the drop on the front and rear and this is what I found:

Front = 0.75"
Rear = 1.75"

Question for anybody - does this look typical of the drop amount on the Mopar springs?

The paperwork doesn't indicate that they did another realignment, so I need to ask about that. I was just anxious to get out of there and drive it around!

It does feel different - more planted and responsive. I do feel more bumps, but I know that's normal since I am sacrificing a little bit ride quality for a little bit more performance. So far so good!

-R

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Question for anybody - does this look typical of the drop amount on the Mopar springs?

The paperwork doesn't indicate that they did another realignment, so I need to ask about that. I was just anxious to get out of there and drive it around!
Yes.

If they didn't give you the printout for the realignment specs and you didn't pay for it, they didn't do it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I put my Eibach springs in it didn't need an alignment.
If you do spring swap on ALL sides, you do want to get alignment done, otherwise your tire will be eaten faster. Instead of having -1, you will have -2. Yeah, it's better for the track, but not good on street. You want to get as close to the original specs as possible.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You don't have any good speed shops near you? I would trust them more than a dealer with aftermarket parts... I am happy to hear they took care of you in the end...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You don't have any good speed shops near you? I would trust them more than a dealer with aftermarket parts... I am happy to hear they took care of you in the end...
Thanks! I'm happy that they had fixed it, but I'm not happy with them about not following up with doing another realignment. I tried to talk with one of the service advisors and I felt like he wasn't going to be helpful at all. I now don't trust them with my SRT.

Which brings me back to your what you mentioning about speed shops around my area - I have to admit that I'm a bit ignorant about that. I'm going to create a new thread asking about that very thing.

Thank you Everybody for your comments and observations about my issues with my spring installation! I very much appreciate it!

-R

1 - 20 of 24 Posts