Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what the stopping point is before transmission upgrades. How much can the stock tranny hold over stock power. I'm looking to bolt on a ported intake, 90mm throttle body, and a reflash. Should i be worried? Only reason i say this is i just had a new transmission put in at 55,000 miles, guy that had it before me must've brake standed and not known how to drive, clutch all over the pan, and after seeing the pricetag on the new one installed i'm not taking any chances. i know a tranny upgrade is always worth it, just wanting to know some info.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Can anyone tell me what the stopping point is before transmission upgrades. How much can the stock tranny hold over stock power. I'm looking to bolt on a ported intake, 90mm throttle body, and a reflash. Should i be worried? Only reason i say this is i just had a new transmission put in at 55,000 miles, guy that had it before me must've brake standed and not known how to drive, clutch all over the pan, and after seeing the pricetag on the new one installed i'm not taking any chances. i know a tranny upgrade is always worth it, just wanting to know some info.
You don't have anything to worry about with the mods you have planned. There are plenty of people running heads/cam combos, S/C's, etc... still on the stock trans. Now, if I were to get a S/C, I would definitely plan on a trans upgrade down the road.
Change the tcase, trans, diff fluids as scheduled and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
^ Yup
Nothing to worry about for you. Like ekaz said remember to change your fluids.
Some people have been making lots of power and using the stock transmission for a few years now without any problem.

You should be pretty safe with heads/cam/headers/ported intake on the stock trans. But if you are considering some forced induction, the boost will put significantly more wear on the trans as you jam into gears.
IMO if you never want to replace or rebuild the trans avoid supercharger/turbos/and stroker motors.

With that being said there are a few guys out there running super chargers on the stock trans and it runs great! and Louis with his 426 and a stock transmission. He races the CRAP out of it, and cuts some AMAZING 60ft times... Been a few years now and still runs strong!
In my case I wasnt so lucky. I had heads/cam/headers/ported intake for a year and raced the crap out of it without any problems. Then I added a supercharger and almost right away my transmission started to shift gears very soft. which means I wasnt performing very well at the track. But the Jeep would drive just fine... Its not like the transmission blows up or anything lol keeping you stranded without a ride. It just doesnt jam into gears as fast and hard as it should.

Hope I could help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
awesome thanks buds!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts