Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking off and on for a srt8 for a while now. I'm really in no big hurry, as I don't want a big car payment. The last 6 months have been awesome not having one. Anyways, I have found a 06 with 104k miles on it, I know the miles are pretty high, but its the cheapest one I have found ($18,000). The car is a 2nd owner and never been wrecked. Only mods are K&N intake and he has a Diablo Sport tuner for it but said if he puts it on high performance CAI tune the engine throws some sort of air sensor code? Anyone know what this maybe? So he leaves the stock tune on it.

Can you guys please give me your input? Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Miles r way to high man.. Ppl beat on these jeeps... Skip it n find one wit lower miles on it.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Marathon Man
3,229 Posts
Way to many miles, but if you can talk them down in price, it would be great to do a engine swap with.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
What are you plans?

Enjoy it daily with the factory HP?

Boost it to the heavens and beat the piss out of it?

If I was doing it again, I'd go higher miles, cheaper truck and take the extra $20k I saved in purchase price and replace/rebuild the motor/tranny and add boost...

I bought mine with 2500 miles on it for a premium... the truck is like brand new... but @ 20k miles a year, the new will start to wear off before I save up $20k to mod it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Way to many miles, but if you can talk them down in price, it would be great to do a engine swap with.
He was asking $20k for it and he finally came down to $18. He won't go any lower.

What are you plans?

Enjoy it daily with the factory HP?

Boost it to the heavens and beat the piss out of it?

If I was doing it again, I'd go higher miles, cheaper truck and take the extra $20k I saved in purchase price and replace/rebuild the motor/tranny and add boost...

I bought mine with 2500 miles on it for a premium... the truck is like brand new... but @ 20k miles a year, the new will start to wear off before I save up $20k to mod it.
It will be a daily driver, but HP wise I'm not sure. That all depends on if I sale my camaro, which is my toy. Regardless, it would get a BWoody 4in intake, probably custom tune from one of the guys on this froum, not 100% sure his name. Regardless whether the camaro sold or not I wouldn't build the motor unless something happens to it. I might possibly spray it, but haven't looked into how these motors react with spray. I think with minor bolt ons I'd be happy with it for a while.

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Nothing is wrong with a jeep with high miles as long as it was well maintained. As a daily driver though I think you should look for something with lower miles as I don't know how long your daily commute is which is an important consideration??? If you want to seriously consider it, I would try to get as much history on it as you can and get an srt mastertech from another dealership to give you a full evaluation on it and go from there. If you still want it after the evaluation, use the problems that you may have to repair on it as leverage in the negotiation process.

·
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
He was asking $20k for it and he finally came down to $18. He won't go any lower.

It will be a daily driver, but HP wise I'm not sure. That all depends on if I sale my camaro, which is my toy. Regardless, it would get a BWoody 4in intake, probably custom tune from one of the guys on this froum, not 100% sure his name. Regardless whether the camaro sold or not I wouldn't build the motor unless something happens to it. I might possibly spray it, but haven't looked into how these motors react with spray. I think with minor bolt ons I'd be happy with it for a while.

With 104K, how many more miles do you actually expect it to run without major repair? Not a whole lot of Jeeps on here rocking 130-150K.......if you know what I'm saying. ;)
Parts can get expensive for these things.

You said you are worried about having a big car payment, but do you have any idea how much fuel these things burn? Are you looking for a daily driver, or another toy???

Sell the Slowmaro, and buy a Jeep with lower miles.........

·
Registered
555 Posts
I bought mine with higher miles on it than I wanted, but the vehicle was well taken care of by a forum member. He told me everything about the vehicle. All in all, if the vehicle has been well maintained, you can get a good deal. Good luck finding the right one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nothing is wrong with a jeep with high miles as long as it was well maintained. As a daily driver though I think you should look for something with lower miles as I don't know how long your daily commute is which is an important consideration??? If you want to seriously consider it, I would try to get as much history on it as you can and get an srt mastertech from another dealership to give you a full evaluation on it and go from there. If you still want it after the evaluation, use the problems that you may have to repair on it as leverage in the negotiation process.
I'll have to check if there is a dealer local to the guy who has it. My daily commute is only 20 miles round trip, so I don't drive to far. The beater I currently have I have put 10k miles on it in the 18 months I've had it.

With 104K, how many more miles do you actually expect it to run without major repair? Not a whole lot of Jeeps on here rocking 130-150K.......if you know what I'm saying. ;)
Parts can get expensive for these things.

You said you are worried about having a big car payment, but do you have any idea how much fuel these things burn? Are you looking for a daily driver, or another toy???

Sell the Slowmaro, and buy a Jeep with lower miles.........
I don't know about major problems. I'm not sure how well these motors are built, that's why I am researching and trying to ask everyone's opinion. I have had several LS1 camaros and I know they can take a beating. If the camaro goes then the jeep would be a DD/toy and would have to run low 12s and I'm not sure that would be quick enough. My camaro runs low 11s on motor and this year should go low to mid 10s on spray. I daily drive it in the summer for the most part.

·
Registered
418 Posts
hemis are bullet proof if taken car properly, 104k miles is not high, i have seen guys with 150k and more. Dont let the miles scare you. The mpg on this jeep sucks, but 20miles roundtrip a day wouldnt hurt your pocket much, but you will forgot about that easily once you drive it :) the jeep is a blast to drive. The air sensor CEL relates to the sensor plugged in the CAI, its either bad or loose.

If you want to be 100% sure about the buy, take it to a jeep dealer, pay $150 and get a 100pt inspection done on it. But no need to worry about it if the jeep has been taken care properly. Parts for the jeep are cheap(at least oem parts) compared to other sports cars i have had..the only expensive partsa are aftermarket parts IMO

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hemis are bullet proof if taken car properly, 104k miles is not high, i have seen guys with 150k and more. Dont let the miles scare you. The mpg on this jeep sucks, but 20miles roundtrip a day wouldnt hurt your pocket much, but you will forgot about that easily once you drive it :) the jeep is a blast to drive. The air sensor CEL relates to the sensor plugged in the CAI, its either bad or loose.

If you want to be 100% sure about the buy, take it to a jeep dealer, pay $150 and get a 100pt inspection done on it. But no need to worry about it if the jeep has been taken care properly. Parts for the jeep are cheap(at least oem parts) compared to other sports cars i have had..the only expensive partsa are aftermarket parts IMO
Yeah I have driven my buddies 06 and absolutely love it! the air sensor code is only when he runs a tune on it not with factory tune and intake. And I'm getting ready to look and try to find a dealer close to him for the inspection. Thanks!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I bought mine last October with 101,000 and had only a few issues, front axle because of a torn boot. wheel bearings, tires. but besides that this thing is a beast. Don't let the high mileage scare you. Be sure to check it out b4 you buy it. Good Luck!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the input man! Makes me fell a little bit better that I am not the only one who is looking at a high mileage jeep.

I actually just got off the phone with someone who has an 07 with 64k miles for $20,900, but someone came to test drive it Saturday and their bank is working on the loan right now. He is supposed to call me back if the deal falls through.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK so the dealer that has the 07 I posted above about just called me and said they have yet to hear from this other guy yet today again. They said they would hold it for me if I put a $1000 non refundable depoit down over the phone. HOWEVER, they were up front with me the first time I talked to them and said it looks like the rear quarter panel has had some work, but unless you were a body man or knew your $hit you wouldn't notice it. The jeep does have a clear title tho. I just had my bank run a carfax on it and I will be going to pick it up in 30 minutes, but my bank lady said there was severe damage reported in 09. So, stay clear of this vehicle or go check it out?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought mine with 87k on it last year. Just hit 90k and its in perfect shape you would never know it had 90k miles but then again it was well taken care of and its not my daily. Only problem I had was with the ignition switch which I fixed myself for free!

·
Registered
555 Posts
OK so the dealer that has the 07 I posted above about just called me and said they have yet to hear from this other guy yet today again. They said they would hold it for me if I put a $1000 non refundable depoit down over the phone. HOWEVER, they were up front with me the first time I talked to them and said it looks like the rear quarter panel has had some work, but unless you were a body man or knew your $hit you wouldn't notice it. The jeep does have a clear title tho. I just had my bank run a carfax on it and I will be going to pick it up in 30 minutes, but my bank lady said there was severe damage reported in 09. So, stay clear of this vehicle or go check it out?
I would stay clear of one with a report saying it was severely damaged. If the dealer called it out, i'm sure it's very noticeable. Good luck.

·
Registered
218 Posts
i would stay clear of the one with the damage!! keep looking i am sure you will find one, took me 4 months and really wanted this particular one but had damage. kept looking and found the one i have. I used a broker to find mine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not quite sure what I was thinking on the one that has been wrecked??? I read the carfax and the jeep was issued a salvage title in Massachusetts in 08 and was sold to someone in Illinios in 09. When it went to Illinios it somehow was given a clear title, which then trasferred to Kentucky as clear. Guess I'll keep looking for the right one!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.