Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide the best location for the meth nozzle, I'm thinking of drilling and tapping the intercooler outlet side, so I get every inch I can of being in the intake track to allow for the best cooling. I know aftermarket throttle bodies usually have a tapped hole on them, but to me it would be more beneficial to give it more room to cool.

Thoughts?

· Vendor
5,596 Posts
You're not trying to cool the charge pipe, you're trying to cool everything else in the combustion chamber...the further away the nozzle is from the intake, the more it has to travel, the less effective it will be. Same goes for nitrous, the further away it is, the less effective it is. Remember to also tune for this...

· Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know at least that nitrous works best the closer it is for exactly the opposite reason u inject h20, when nitrous leaves the tip of the nozzle it's some retarded cold temp, the longer it has the travel the more it'll heat up and the less dense the charge will be, hence the loss in the hit. H20 however you want to heat up, it means it's absorbing intake heat, but its the same concept that the meth, the fuel in the injection mix, will heat up and be somewhat less effective as an octane booster on it's own.

Those are my thoughts, I was wondering if anyone has tried diff locations and seen which spot offers the best balance.

· Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Meth injection cools everything including the intake charge, not just the internals. This becomes even more important once you start pushing the efficiency of your blower and turn it into a hair dryer, intake temps soar.

· Registered
374 Posts

· Registered
497 Posts
if you ask any of the people who make the water meth kits, they will most likely tell you anywhere from 5in to 6in the throttle body inlet. you don't want to go any further away. the nozzle on my GN sits on the up-pipe 4in away from the throttle body. as it has a better cooling effect, since the air coming from the turbo through intercooler is already getting warm. :eek:

· Registered
58 Posts
Meth injection cools everything including the intake charge, not just the internals. This becomes even more important once you start pushing the efficiency of your blower and turn it into a hair dryer, intake temps soar.
I always understood it was best to have closest to the intake so the engine gets the most dense coolest charge allowing it to dissipate heat in the cylinders. Dissipating the heat in the cylinder by its cooling effect hence keeps detonation down and melted pistons etc at bay. Using it for fuel or cooling are also two totally different animals. Depends on your need.

There is also a equal reason to utilize it to help cool the intake charge and intercooler temps. If you are concerned with both I would have two nozzles. Get a big azz tank though!Itll suck it down with two nozzles. Frankly with a good intercooler or heat exchanger such as yours to me its not needed IMHO. Especially in a SC application. Turbo is different animal and generates more heat.

Being that you have a vortech power cooler though I would suggest just installing one nozzle in the intake charge tube to cool the cylinders since the intake temps are under control with the power cooler. Most important is the temp on the intake air as it enters the motor and internal cylinder temp. That can be accomplished by installing the nozzle with 5-6 inches of the inlet as mentioned.

Just my .02 . ;)

· Registered
4,161 Posts
Awesome link! I'm finally getting the urge to finsh installing my snow stage 3 water/meth kit..lol after seeing HP tv install one on a vortech challanger a few weeks back,it really got me excited! they gained 41 HP to the wheels just using it as a cooler.thats 60 HP at the crank..I found that impressive!

· Registered
58 Posts
Awesome link! I'm finally getting the urge to finsh installing my snow stage 3 water/meth kit..lol after seeing HP tv install one on a vortech challanger a few weeks back,it really got me excited! they gained 41 HP to the wheels just using it as a cooler.thats 60 HP at the crank..I found that impressive!
Where did they install the meth nozzle?

· Marathon Man
3,229 Posts
I've been running the meth with my vortech for a long time now and its worth every penny spent on it.

Which is cheap for what it does :D

· Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
Where did they install the meth nozzle?

Here's the episode:

http://www.powerblocktv.com/player/show_player.php?ep_show=HP&ep_num=HP2011-17

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.