Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking into deleting the MDS, and doing a cam, and I was quoted $7k with an a locked pcm. Seems awfully high to me. Is that number right?

Anyone do their cam themselves?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was looking into deleting the MDS, and doing a cam, and I was quoted $7k with an a locked pcm. Seems awfully high to me. Is that number right?

If you're on the west coast look into SRT Autoworks in Arizona. Best place around. I did a stage 2 build on my 2020 SRT for under 10k and got way more than just a cam upgrade.

Also, I would not do the cam yourself unless you have access to a dyno and tuning equipment. Do NOT just put the cam in and drive it around. NO GO

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not far off honestly. What all was included
they said they basically treat it as a top end rebuild (rods, lifters, retainers, springs)

If you're on the west coast look into SRT Autoworks in Arizona. Best place around. I did a stage 2 build on my 2020 SRT for under 10k and got way more than just a cam upgrade. View attachment 230497

Also, I would not do the cam yourself unless you have access to a dyno and tuning equipment. Do NOT just put the cam in and drive it around. NO GO
Haha nah, I’m not too familiar with these engines yet enough to be confident. On the Ford engines it was easy. Install the cam, degree it, send it to the shop for a tune. I’m not sure I can warrant $7k for 30-40 hp and some noise.

·
Registered
75 Posts
So for my build I went through modern muscle extreme for parts. I talked with them on the phone 4-5 times about what I wanted and future plans blah blah.

Ended up with comp cams max effort cam, Mmx ported heads and upper intake, hellcat throttle body, manely rods, hellcat lifters, mds delete kit,solo exhaust,stainless works long tubes and down pipes, the heads have the appropriate springs for the cam. I then had a local place do dyno and real world tuning using HPtuners. I highly recommend the HPtuner over Diablo but it’s a personal choice. With all of that I was right around $9,000. Didn’t keep exact numbers so I don’t get in trouble 🤣 I did not have a dyno run before the mods but after I’m 560-570awhp and that’s at 5000 feet elevation

·
Registered
11 Posts
they said they basically treat it as a top end rebuild (rods, lifters, retainers, springs)

Haha nah, I’m not too familiar with these engines yet enough to be confident. On the Ford engines it was easy. Install the cam, degree it, send it to the shop for a tune. I’m not sure I can warrant $7k for 30-40 hp and some noise.
So mine picked up like 70-80 hp with the stage 2 build for under 10k

·
Premium Member
2013 Wk2 Srt8
144 Posts
I did the cam install by myself took me 5 days and I had a lift installed the mmx Megan Cam new valve springs and shims, lifters, push rods and valve seals I enjoyed it but once you start you should keep going till you have finished you could certainly do it quicker but I’m pretty fussy about cleaning you really need a day or two to soak and clean the air I take I’m going to take it all sorry again end of this year and port the heads

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did the cam install by myself took me 5 days and I had a lift installed the mmx Megan Cam new valve springs and shims, lifters, push rods and valve seals I enjoyed it but once you start you should keep going till you have finished you could certainly do it quicker but I’m pretty fussy about cleaning you really need a day or two to soak and clean the air I take I’m going to take it all sorry again end of this year and port the heads
Did you get an unlocked pcm or what did you do for the tune? And how do you like it?

·
Premium Member
2013 Wk2 Srt8
144 Posts
Yes I bought a hp tuner from modern muscle and bought the email tune for the cam. Very happy with the tune now it’s autum here so pretty soon one night going to do some 0 to 100 runs they and installing the off the shelf cams all the time so if you don’t get a custom grind instead off the shelf I think the email tune is pretty close to dyno and allot cheaper

1 - 10 of 10 Posts