Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, I was thinking about the best color to go with.
I have the steel blue 07...but Im not really a fan of chrome color. but I do love black chrome. yet I know its quite expensive. i am trying to either get my wheels painted or powercoated matte black or black chrome..and get the moldings to match.
Does anyone have pics of what steel blue would look like on black or black chrome or painted moldings?? as well as least expensive method

Thanks

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I don't have any pics, but I know a few people have been using Plastidip on both wheels and the trim pieces.... its about $8 a can I think in spray form and if you don't like it, you can peel it off. I plan on giving it a try on the trim pieces myself pretty soon. It looks like a satin black from what pictures I've seen...

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have any pics, but I know a few people have been using Plastidip on both wheels and the trim pieces.... its about $8 a can I think in spray form and if you don't like it, you can peel it off. I plan on giving it a try on the trim pieces myself pretty soon. It looks like a satin black from what pictures I've seen...
cool, just trying to see how it looks on the blue srt8s but if it peels off, wouldnt it just come off driving fast and rainy days??
also, i see your pic is in snow...how does the front bumper hold up in snow? as well as traction?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I haven't used the plastidip myself yet, but from what most people are reporting is that even though it will peel off if you work at it from an edge, its fairly durable day-to-day and easy to touch up because its in a spray can. If it's staying on the wheels during highway speeds, the trim shouldn't be a problem at all.

My sig pic is one of the few times I drove in snow, it was really just to get back to the garage because we hadn't plowed since the last snowfall. I don't get to drive it very often because of where I live and have never dragged the front bumper through snow :eek:

btw- If I remember right, there are some pics of a plastidip'd black jeep in the "most recent pic" thread. Looks pretty darn good if you ask me :cool:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Send me your rims first

....... I could use a winter set. haha.

I may be able to photoshop mine, although, if lighting is different on the 2 pictures, which it will be, it won't give the full effect.
lmao...i was looking at autozone that have something called a Shadow kit, it allows you to black basecoat the wheels, and special clear coat all in a two can kit for $18...not sure how great it is...but it turns metal wheels, chrome, aluminum, etc into black chrome wheels.

·
Registered
34 Posts
lmao...i was looking at autozone that have something called a Shadow kit, it allows you to black basecoat the wheels, and special clear coat all in a two can kit for $18...not sure how great it is...but it turns metal wheels, chrome, aluminum, etc into black chrome wheels.

saw this also, been meaning to try it on some trim pieces. if i decided to use it ill let you know. although my jeep is redrock and not blue

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
saw this also, been meaning to try it on some trim pieces. if i decided to use it ill let you know. although my jeep is redrock and not blue
cool thanks, well as of right now blue or not i will still probably go black chrome...but yeah let me know if you do it and how it turns out with that kit...if it's great enough ill be doing everything with that kit..i wonder if the interior pieces will work with it too. like the bezels and plates... if so everything is going to be black chrome lol hell if i become rich enough in the next 2 years ill upgrade to a 2010, i dont like the 2012s, and get the whole thing painted black chrome

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I have a steel blue and have 3 matte black wheels in the garage. When the powdercoater gets his head out of his a$$ on the fourth wheel, I will have pictures. I still have chrome side moldings and think they will need to be body color for it to look really good though.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a steel blue and have 3 matte black wheels in the garage. When the powdercoater gets his head out of his a$$ on the fourth wheel, I will have pictures. I still have chrome side moldings and think they will need to be body color for it to look really good though.
cool cool, how long has this process been taking?... and yeah so you are going to do the molding in body color paint. what about the front molding and rear strip with the reverse sensors?

·
Registered
270 Posts

I used this on the front lower grill chrome trim piece as a 'test'... doesnt look too bad. It does have a 'spray paint' look, but that could be that I didn't do it very well?? I'm going to try and redo it better. something worth trying tho imo.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
cool cool, how long has this process been taking?... and yeah so you are going to do the molding in body color paint. what about the front molding and rear strip with the reverse sensors?
The process of powdercoating the wheels is an overnight thing where I had them done. 24 hour or less turnaround. The problem is they f-ed up on one of them and it was peeling off so I had to have them redo it. I don't have it back yet.

I have no immediate plans to do anything with my chrome bits but if I do it will likely just be the side moldings. Want to see how it looks with the wheels first.

·
Registered
146 Posts
definitely plasti dip them first. i did it and it looks pretty sweet. Definitely was the deciding factor on whether to get them PC'd or not. I have an all black srt with the matte wheels. dont know what it'd look like with the chrome black (shiny). I also did the trim as well. it peeled off on the highway on a trip out of state. i was going about 90. however on the way back i hit 130mph and it didnt really peel anymore- i touched them up again and all is good- especially for $8 a can...

before

after

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
love it with the wheels partially plasti dipped...just flat part of the spokes is what i originally wanted and i'd leave the SRT to stand out of the black...but if I did do it that way, id want to do the spokes in the body color..but its highly doubtful to find plastidip spray in steel blue metallic.

·
Registered
146 Posts
love it with the wheels partially plasti dipped...just flat part of the spokes is what i originally wanted and i'd leave the SRT to stand out of the black...but if I did do it that way, id want to do the spokes in the body color..but its highly doubtful to find plastidip spray in steel blue metallic.

that might look cool as well. if i can suggest, though, if you were to tape off the parts you dont want sprayed, you might only be able to get ONE really good coat on it. I would think you'd have to pull off the tape before the first coat even begins to dry. once plastidip dries it is stuck to whatever it is touching. although you can still peel it off, if you were to peel the tape off AFTER it has dried, the tape will begin to peel the plasti-dip off as well. this is what happend to my a few parts of my trim. when i pulled off the tape, the plasti dip stuck to it and pulled it off of the trim. so i recoated and pulled off the tape before it had a chance to dry.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Got all my wheels back. Here is matte black PC on a Steel Blue that is essentially stock otherwise. As people always say - it looks better in person. The time of day I took these they all required flash which definitely changes up how things look to your eye (for instance the center cap stands out bad in the pictures but doesn't in actuality). It definitely changes the look of the Jeep pretty drastically.

Comparison with a stock wheel:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
look like a cop lol...take the durangos and thats what we have here, cop blue, with black wheels lmao...nice tho..hmmm i wonder how much powercoating runs..i have to find someone local..

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Mine was 125 per wheel + 15 per wheel for them to do all the tire work (off/on/balance). I was shocked they got all the tires on the right wheels and aimed in the right direction. I think the 125 cost is fairly standard based on the calling around I did. These have a lifetime warranty (for whatever that is worth).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts