Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my pred from a fellow member here and want to get things going.

When the tune from the factory is pulled do I need to load a canned tune or will the factory one remain after its pulled?

Is updating required for these things and if its updated does the tune need adjustments when the predator is connected to the car again?

I have others in my computer as these are all I remember off hand. Don't want to do this wrong.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide App

·
"guy with the crazy Jeep"
4,862 Posts
If you self proclaim to be a noob then so be it:D

Here is the safe route. Make sure the tool is un-married from a vehicle. Update the tool to the latest version. Install a canned tune of your choice. Enjoy.

If you start installing more mods get a hold of Jerseyboy or Johan for a custom tune.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol when it comes to this type of stuff i am a big time noob and proud of it. love to learn about it all i can.

theres no sign of a tune being on it and i bought it as such so thats all good with me. im trying to update actually now.

i dont have a driver that apparently i need for this to recognize? or is that not required? i figure of all people youd be able to help.

im on v9r16 and have a big update i got to get on. i emailed johan about a tune so im definitely having him do it.

all my issues are computer related not the car part. im running with bootcamp via XP cuz i dont have a pc so its all being a little weird. with no driver CD,crom file not appearing, :( i wanted to have this tuned for tomorrow's races

***ID PAY FOR A LOCAL ON LONG ISLAND TO HELP ME PULL IT ALL OFF AND SEND OUT TO JOHAN!!!!***

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
It is super easy to do. There are detailed instructions on that page in a pdf doc at the bottom.

http://www.diablosport.com/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=121

Go to that website and download the prolific driver for xp. Once you have that loaded and restarted your computer install dsdataloader and dsdownloader from the above link. Also download the lastest crom for your predator while you're there.

Launch DSdataloader and connect your predator via the USB-serial adapter. Plug your ac adapter into the predator and it should power on. Once the predator powers on to the main screen it should be recognized by DSdataloader. There is an option for updating your predator from DSdataloader. Select the file you already downloaded and BAM it should update.

If your computer will not recognize the usb-serial adapter you most likely do not have the proper usb drivers installed in bootcamp. I use vmware fusion and windows 7, bootcamp wasnt working smoothly for me.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
phil thanks! i got most of it downloaded now. do you mean dsdata viewer? i see no such dsdataloader...lmk!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nevermind that post! got everything updated and set up on the pc. i actually stole my fathers old laptop he never uses to do this since bootcamp was a PITA.

im running the new update and got dsdownloader. i am going to pull the tune off in the am and get that loaded on the computer to send off...

not sure but i dont think thats all that complicated...any tips for that?

and to address my previous question, if i pull the tune off the car to get to my computer, it will remain on the truck as well correct? the phrasing on some posts about pulling the tune off confuses/scares me lol

thanks so far guys!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
nevermind that post! got everything updated and set up on the pc. i actually stole my fathers old laptop he never uses to do this since bootcamp was a PITA.

im running the new update and got dsdownloader. i am going to pull the tune off in the am and get that loaded on the computer to send off...

not sure but i dont think thats all that complicated...any tips for that?

and to address my previous question, if i pull the tune off the car to get to my computer, it will remain on the truck as well correct? the phrasing on some posts about pulling the tune off confuses/scares me lol

thanks so far guys!
The original tune file will save to the computer. The Dsdownloader will not let you add a custom tune to the predator without recognizing a original saved tune file. It will be in the predator as well so you can revert back to stock when need be.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh yea, right. i got that part. what im skeptical about is the original tune, what i have on my car now, if i "pull" that off and save on the predator, will there be any issues with starting it up before the new tune is reloaded to the car?

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
oh yea, right. i got that part. what im skeptical about is the original tune, what i have on my car now, if i "pull" that off and save on the predator, will there be any issues with starting it up before the new tune is reloaded to the car?
No you'll just have to load a "canned" tune in the jeep for the time being.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
o ok gotcha! thats what i needed to know. awesome. so the new modifed stock tune will just over right the canned tune and leave the factory tune saved on it...simple enough...for now ;)

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
o ok gotcha! thats what i needed to know. awesome. so the new modifed stock tune will just over right the canned tune and leave the factory tune saved on it...simple enough...for now ;)
Well before you load the custom tune, reload your stock tune... Then install the custom tune.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Let me explain this better lol.

Install canned tune in jeep, send stock tune file to tuner..

When tuner sends new tune, install stock tune back into jeep, then install custom tune. I re read my last post and it was a little confusing.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Let me explain this better lol.

Install canned tune in jeep, send stock tune file to tuner..

When tuner sends new tune, install stock tune back into jeep, then install custom tune. I re read my last post and it was a little confusing.

I wouldn't even install the stock tune back on the jeep.since the predator is gonna adjust the necessary settings once you load the custom tune. As far as the backup tune goes, it will not be saved on the jeep. I recommend taking that file and emailing it to yourself. Do not delete the email and you will always have it. I have one on my Mac, one on my virtual pc and multiple in my email.

In order to get it totally working on bootcamp you need to use the setup disk that came with your Mac and install the drivers onto your xp side. I could never get it to work right until I used VMware to run Windows. Now it works flawlessly.

·
Registered
418 Posts
i am also a newbie at this whole predator thing too and my questions are? What exactly is a "canned" tune and can the car run just on that. The most ill do now is the CAI and exhaust so really dont want to pay extra for a custom tune, i just want to fix the hesitation glitch at WOT and the better shifting and also more power off course. When i buy the predator brand new, will it have a "canned" tune already installed in there and ready to be flashed in the car?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
erald01, after the help of these fine gentlemen let me tell you how stupid youll feel after you get it all done that you asked all the questions lol. a canned tune is a mild tune thats loaded on the predator for you to use. will feel a big jump in throttle response which may be all you want or need....me, i needed the whole deal. they come installed on the predators new or used.

·
Registered
418 Posts
erald01, after the help of these fine gentlemen let me tell you how stupid youll feel after you get it all done that you asked all the questions lol. a canned tune is a mild tune thats loaded on the predator for you to use. will feel a big jump in throttle response which may be all you want or need....me, i needed the whole deal. they come installed on the predators new or used.
okay i see so its a mild tune then, okay ill figure out the rest i just wasnt sure what canned tune really did or meant.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
okay i see so its a mild tune then, okay ill figure out the rest i just wasnt sure what canned tune really did or meant.
Yup. Real simple...BTW, I didn't mean my comment with an disrespect...I meant that I felt stupid after I did it...more of a tease...:)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yup. Real simple...BTW, I didn't mean my comment with an disrespect...I meant that I felt stupid after I did it...more of a tease...:)

no its all good, i got the joke but thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts