Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pushed it off for a long time...

It MIGHT be time for some suspension upgrades. I think my Jeep needs a lower center of gravity to help me lower my 60ft times. All you stock 6.1`s with just a vortech slapped on running faster than me with my heads/cam just doesnt make sense... Also I am having quite a bit of traction issues. Hoping it will stick a little better if I drop the Jeep a bit.

Also I noticed how much my Jeep squats when I hit the gas. I feel like im leaning back when hit WOT.
Anyways... I have some questions about lowering the Jeep.
Those of you who have lots of experience with lowering springs please chime in.

1. Do I NEED to get an alignment after lowering the Jeep? I have heard mostly yes, but some people told me not to worry about it.

2. Whats the best setup without a ton of issues? I saw Bwoody springs get rusty on a few Jeeps. Are the Eibach springs real nice?

3. What setup do you guys suggest? I DO NOT want the lowest set because I need my Jeep in the winter to get me places. Its already too low for the snowy weather so I really dont want it that low. I would LOVE to get airbags, but there isnt a kit available for the Jeeps yet.

As some of you already know.. My other car is a Prius. The Prius doesnt have a traction control button to disable traction control. It is literally the worst POS to drive in the snow ever! As soon as 1 wheel slips everything shuts down and I loose all momentum. Scary if your trying to climb any sort of a hill.

Ooh and Paulo... I know I should have lowered it years ago! No need to wait for your post. lol I already know what your gonna say.:boohoo:

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
1)Yes,an alignment is important when you lower our rigs,so definitely do that. It's not imperative,but you chance bad tire wear and steering wheel pull.

2)If I had to do it over again,Eibach springs with factory bumpstops,Qa1 shocks.
Bwoody springs are the worst ever so I say stay away.

Eibach's seem to be a compromise between decent ride quality and not too low.

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
1)Yes,an alignment is important when you lower our rigs,so definitely do that. It's not imperative,but you chance bad tire wear and steering wheel pull.

2)If I had to do it over again,Eibach springs with factory bumpstops,Qa1 shocks.
Bwoody springs are the worst ever so I say stay away.

Eibach's seem to be a compromise between decent ride quality and not too low.
No no man , I did that and i was having a bumpy ride and with time my stock bump stop shredded like dry Portuguese bread :D

But scam I hear you on the Traction issue man ..

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
An alignment is absolutely necessary !! Anyone who tells you differently needs to have their PeePee spanked. its the best 100$ you will spend

Eibach seem to be the spring of choice - by far the best quality compared to other popular choices.

I cant really comment on the bumpstop and Qa1 as I don't have them myself but from all the reviews it seems to be the way to go. Hows vendor stock like on the QA1 lately ??

·
Registered
169 Posts
More on this. I'm in the same boat here

·
Premium Lurker
4,232 Posts
Steffan - I have the Eibachs with the QA1 rear shocks and couldn't be any happier with my setup. On the rear springs, you want to avoid installing the metal spacer/tower supplied with the kit. Just use the short metal cup and the small plastic bump stop and you'll be fine. I agree that getting an alignment is absolutely necessary, but I wouldn't have it done immediately after installing the springs. Ride around for a few hundred of miles first so that the springs can finish settling under normal driving conditions, then have the alignment done...

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Alignment is absolutely necessary after the work is done. I had a alignment done a couple weeks before I lowered my rig and again after. It was all out of whack!

I did a lot of research before hand. I decided on bwoodys. I love my setup, handles and drives/rides awesome. Mods in sig.

On a side note, after all the research I did on the forum I didn't see any real info on front bumpstops. Now I'm gotta tear it apart to get in and trim them down.

Both kits will lower the front 1"

I have 5" clearance from road to lower front bumper cover. Give or take an 1/8". I've yet to see snow with mine yet, but i haven't had any clearance related issues yet since lowered.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've tried both bwoodys and eibachs and the ride quality sucked on both. The rear of these trucks do not like to be lowered and the ride is rough and bouncy. I'm going back to stock but I'm really tempted to try coilovers but it's a daily driver so I don't care that much. Do these QA1 shocks really make a difference?

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
I've tried both bwoodys and eibachs and the ride quality sucked on both. The rear of these trucks do not like to be lowered and the ride is rough and bouncy. I'm going back to stock but I'm really tempted to try coilovers but it's a daily driver so I don't care that much. Do these QA1 shocks really make a difference?
QA1's rock!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts