Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I'm sitting still at idle, kinda feels like it wants to die. Then taking off it kinda pauses a tiny moment before going. Reverse is similar too. I filled it up with 93 gas the other day to see if it had good gas, today its still doing it, so don't think thats the problem. Anyone else had this, and how'd you fix it?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Mine does it intermittently but I haven't talked to the dealer about it yet. I have just about 40K mi on it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
huh, didn't know if it was normal or not.

Also when I turn the key on to start it, the cranks seem to be a little slow and takes a bit to fire up. nothing ridiculous, but noticeable, could be related?

·
Registered
957 Posts
40k is a long time ago as these stock batteries dont last very long. but it can be your starter. alot of us had them gone bad.

·
Registered
673 Posts
You say you "filled up with 93 gas to make sure it had good gas", are you saying you normally DON'T put in premium gas?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no, just bought it this last weekend! haha. Just wanted to make sure.

So is the battery something I should change and see if that works?
If so, any certain kind better than the others without breaking the bank?

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
no, just bought it this last weekend! haha. Just wanted to make sure.

So is the battery something I should change and see if that works?
If so, any certain kind better than the others without breaking the bank?
If it has the original battery, it is what going on 6 years old?
If the Jeep has been setting, the battery charge may also just be low.
A weak battery or low charge will cause all sorts of issues.
I would put a charger on the battery to to make sure it is as charged as possible, see if the slow crank issue still exists or comes back shortly and continue troubleshooting from there if needed.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So if the battery was starting to go bad, would the alternator not keep it running good once it was started? Maybe it doesn't work that way, still may run weak huh?

I tried it after it was charging for an hour, seemed to maybe start a hair quicker, and maybe idled slightly higher but not too much more. I will let it charge some more and try later again.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
So if the battery was starting to go bad, would the alternator not keep it running good once it was started? Maybe it doesn't work that way, still may run weak huh?

I tried it after it was charging for an hour, seemed to maybe start a hair quicker, and maybe idled slightly higher but not too much more. I will let it charge some more and try later again.
Do you have a volt meter or a load tester? Its very easy to check the battery if you do..

If not take it to Autozone or a local auto parts store and they should be able to load test it for free..

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll try that tomorrow, so if it turns out ok, should I assume for now that the issue is the starter. Or should I just wait to see if it gets worse or not? If I should get it fixed, just take to the jeep dealer or any reputable shop? Or is it a really easy fix?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I'll try that tomorrow, so if it turns out ok, should I assume for now that the issue is the starter. Or should I just wait to see if it gets worse or not? If I should get it fixed, just take to the jeep dealer or any reputable shop? Or is it a really easy fix?
Thanks
Does the jeep sound like it's bogging down when starting? Both the starter and battery are easy fixes. How does the truck feel at WOT? May be a fuel filter.. Has the truck been doing anything weird, battery light, random dash lights flashing, etc...?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does the jeep sound like it's bogging down when starting? Both the starter and battery are easy fixes. How does the truck feel at WOT? May be a fuel filter.. Has the truck been doing anything weird, battery light, random dash lights flashing, etc...?

No bogging down, seems to take a touch too long to start, but could be normal for all I know. But besides that and the low idle while in gear stopped and in reverse, seems to be all thats going on. No lights or anything. Wot feels good from what I know, but i just bought it so no experience driving this vehicle

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok, so the charger said battery was full. I started it, put it in reverse, same thing, drops to 500rpms and sounds like it wants to die, never does though.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I know you just got the truck, but was it stock when u bought it? There might be a tune in it and the previous owner may have adjusted the idle and left the tune in there.

The starter will have absolutely nothing to do with the idle.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
pretty sure it was stock, it was a company vehicle for the guy who drove it. The things that were on it were dealer added before he took delivery, mopar intake, and tinted windows.

Could it be the fuel system, or plugs? I figure this forum would probably know more than the yahoos a the local chrysler dealer! lol

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anyone have any other ideas, I don't really want to wait til this thing just dies on me. I also don't want to take it to the dealer if it doesn't need to.

Or is the better idea to take it to a local mechanic?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts