Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup all!!

when pulling into my work garage there are several speed bumps...

when going over them ,even very slow i get a noise...a loud ca-clunk from the rear.....

Keep in mind over rough road and other road bumps nothing..no noise at all..solid..never any rattles

seems when the rear lifts over those speed bumps and compresses back down, something clatters ....wtf could it be?

its like the trucks suspension cant do speed bumps..if that makes sense

I thought maybe the exhaust..but upon feeling it shes solid and no movement...

its bugging the shit out of me..
any ideas?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine does the same thing, but I would call it more of a thumping sound. My guess would be the rear shocks rebounding? It doesn't do it over most road bumps but I notice it when entering or exiting an elevated entry point.
Does the WK1 SRT8 Jeep do this too?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea
That's exactly what it sounds like ....bilsteins shouldn't make noises like that tho ....

Could it be from the adjusting suspension .....meaning these can go from track mode to softer auto...

·
Daily Driver..........
1,837 Posts
do you have aftermarket exhaust?

·
The ModMan
5,792 Posts
Are you bottoming out somehow and hitting the frame?

You should have someone sit next to one of the speed bumps and listen when you pass to pin point the location. If it's loud it should be easy to spot.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you bottoming out somehow and hitting the frame?

You should have someone sit next to one of the speed bumps and listen when you pass to pin point the location. If it's loud it should be easy to spot.
hmm..no deff not bottoming out..guess ill go to the service dept. and see what they think.

coulld it be the spare baning in that lil compartment...sounds like something along those lines

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
my borla s does this

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
as far as i can make out its the rubber bands holding the exhaust expanding as the car bumps down the speed bump , then contracting and drawing the exhaust up onto the underside of the jeep

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hmmm two very good answers
Brian and KM

im sure its one of them...ill remove the spare for a few days and see if its that....if thats not it must be the exhaust

like i said tho over normal road bumps its fine just that high bump were the entire rear is lifted then dropped

·
Registered
58 Posts
My thumping from the rear seems to be getting less. I intentionally found some speed bumps to try out. After going over the first one without braking it seemed to loosen things up out back. From that point on, I noticed less thumping. It's still slightly there, but not as bad as before. I'm thinking it will improve over time. I'll update when I have more info to report.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I did not really notice the sound much on mine until i started towing with it. Now it does it often even on normal road bumps. Not sure if it might be the hitch moving up and down but it is the same noise others have described.

·
Speed Junkie
483 Posts
Here are two things to look at:
1- spare tire in mine was not fully tightened , plastic locking nut had 4 full turns before tight.
2-lug wrench and jack sits in foam holder which sits on spare, there is nothing to hold this assembly but the weight of tool and jack it is not secured.

One other thing is shock travel like stated earlier break in helps quiet things down.

Check it out

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.