Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

It's been a while since I've been on here. I currently have an '08 that has relatively new Borla S and the Magnaflow Mid-Pipe on it. Had them installed new back in early 2020, only put maybe 8,000 miles on them. Thanks to our DEMON NY GOVERNOR Hochul (however you spell her name) she passed some GAS2 Law thru on 4/1/22 that apparently requires vehicles to be at Stock Decibel levels or face enormous fines and penalties. Even police will be equipped with Decibel Meters to check levels t any traffic stops.

I still have my stock mid-pipe that can be re-installed. Basically looking if anyone has any options on Mufflers/Resonators that might resemble the stock sound levels.
I don't think a cop would pull someone over just for the loud exhaust unless they really heard it WOT, which would probably result in more than a loud exhaust ticket. (Not sure if MOPAR still makes the suitcase muffler for WK Jeep SRT's or not, or if possible a WK2 Suitcase could be worked in or not.

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
Black ‘08 SRT8 w/ Borla cat-back and mopar cai
16 Posts
Just register it in FL like all New Yorkers do lol. No front plate required, and you can have loud exhaust, and tint the windows.
Oh, and no state inspections!
It would be a shame to make the beast be quiet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just register it in FL like all New Yorkers do lol. No front plate required, and you can have loud exhaust, and tint the windows.
Oh, and no state inspections!
It would be a shame to make the beast be quiet.
Thanks JMan. I will check into this for sure, this will solve all my issues in one shot as I have Tinted Windows as well. Do I need to have a family member or friend who has a full-time home in FL, or just go ahead and register there?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks JMan. I will check into this for sure, this will solve all my issues in one shot as I have Tinted Windows as well. Do I need to have a family member or friend who has a full-time home in FL, or just go ahead and register there?
I believe you can register it in FL with an out of state address (my NJ address is on my FL title). You just need to have FL insurance on the car before registering. However, I am not sure as to if you need to do register it in person or you may be able to get around it by doing it by mail.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe you can register it in FL with an out of state address (my NJ address is on my FL title). You just need to have FL insurance on the car before registering. However, I am not sure as to if you need to do register it in person or you may be able to get around it by doing it by mail.
Yeah, it does sound like I may need to actually go to a Florida DMV office.
Do they ask any Q's about why you want it Rgstrd there?
Does it need to be titled in FL as well?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, it does sound like I may need to actually go to a Florida DMV office.
Do they ask any Q's about why you want it Rgstrd there?
Does it need to be titled in FL as well?
Yes it would have to be titled in FL. When I was in NJ, I had a FL office, but my FL registration and title had the NJ address, as well as the insurance. I don't even think that the office address even had anything to do with the registration. However, Florida does not have many restrictions on registering in the state, except that you need to have FL insurance. They don't even require proof of residency. They don't usually ask why you are registering in the state (probably because they're happy to be getting paid through insurance and registration). It really is worth it to register in FL, even if it takes a bit of work.
Some useful info from FL can be found here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it would have to be titled in FL. When I was in NJ, I had a FL office, but my FL registration and title had the NJ address, as well as the insurance. I don't even think that the office address even had anything to do with the registration. However, Florida does not have many restrictions on registering in the state, except that you need to have FL insurance. They don't even require proof of residency. They don't usually ask why you are registering in the state (probably because they're happy to be getting paid through insurance and registration). It really is worth it to register in FL, even if it takes a bit of work.
Some useful info from FL can be found here.
Yeah, this is definitely the way to go. Thanks again JMan.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, this is definitely the way to go. Thanks again JMan.
Looking into it, you might need a physical address in fl just to put in the form for the title, even though the title will have the out of state mailing address, but everything else uses the out of state address.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking into it, you might need a physical address in fl just to put in the form for the title, even though the title will have the out of state mailing address, but everything else uses the out of state address.
Yeah, that's what it looks like so far. Does the FL address have to be in my name or can we use a friend's address? (My wife can check in with an old friend who lives in Orlando). If that's not a possibility then I'll have to get crackin' on tearing off the window tint and looking for a more subtle exhaust system. The MAGNAFLOW cat-back videos I've seen in the past seem like a pretty muted sound especially on start-up and idle, which is most likely where I'll need the decibel level to be at (start-up and idle) in the off chance a cop uses a decibel meter to check the sound at a traffic stop.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, that's what it looks like so far. Does the FL address have to be in my name or can we use a friend's address? (My wife can check in with an old friend who lives in Orlando). If that's not a possibility then I'll have to get crackin' on tearing off the window tint and looking for a more subtle exhaust system. The MAGNAFLOW cat-back videos I've seen in the past seem like a pretty muted sound especially on start-up and idle, which is most likely where I'll need the decibel level to be at (start-up and idle) in the off chance a cop uses a decibel meter to check the sound at a traffic stop.
FL address shouldn't have to be in your own name. I used an office in FL that belonged to my company, and I don't think that they even sent mail to the address. That address doesn't seem to matter after you fill it out in the application for title. I think you can probably even use a FL P.O. box as the address.
Yeah, it would be a real shame to take of the tint, and even worse to have to change the exhaust (I have the same Borla S-Type). So many perks to a Florida registration...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FL address shouldn't have to be in your own name. I used an office in FL that belonged to my company, and I don't think that they even sent mail to the address. That address doesn't seem to matter after you fill it out in the application for title. I think you can probably even use a FL P.O. box as the address.
Yeah, it would be a real shame to take of the tint, and even worse to have to change the exhaust (I have the same Borla S-Type). So many perks to a Florida registration...
I just spoke to a friend of mine and his neighbor is doing the same thing using a family member in FL. So I'll follow what he's doing. I found out this past weekend the NYS Troopers waited outside the Bear Mountain State Park where they have a huge car show almost every weekend and just handed out $1,000 tickets as the guys were trying to leave the park. Just think, if there were 50 -100 guys with loud exhausts and NYS brought in $1,000 each. Those car show guys were the proverbial "fish in a barrel".

·
BlaBlaBla
5,367 Posts
You will need a FL address, proof of FL insurance and the title.
It will need a FL title and they’ll want to physically look at the car to check mileage. It will take a trip to FL to make it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You will need a FL address, proof of FL insurance and the title.
It will need a FL title and they’ll want to physically look at the car to check mileage. It will take a trip to FL to make it happen.

Not going to drive the Jeep down there. So now it's time to start looking into mufflers/resonators that would give a comparable flow and sound (decibel level) to the OEM stock cat-back. I'll have to call the dealership service guys and see what they use normally to replace WK1 SRT8's exhausts when they come in rotted out or in a wreck, as I don't believe they still make the OEM exhaust anymore.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Would a set of OEM HELLCAT or 392 SRT Mufflers and Resonators work, as those were legal from the manufcturer and would pass NYS inspections. I should find out what the acceptable decibel levels are with this new law, then find out where the Borla S decibel level is. I know the Hellcat and even my '16 Challenger 392 SRT were pretty loud on start-up so could be an option as MOPAR most likely still makes them for now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not going to drive the Jeep down there. So now it's time to start looking into mufflers/resonators that would give a comparable flow and sound (decibel level) to the OEM stock cat-back. I'll have to call the dealership service guys and see what they use normally to replace WK1 SRT8's exhausts when they come in rotted out or in a wreck, as I don't believe they still make the OEM exhaust anymore.
You actually don’t have to bring the car to fl. What he was saying the car has to be in fl for is the vin verification, not mileage. They didn’t have to verify the mileage, only the vin. However, the car doesn’t have to be in fl for a vin verification. Fl allows any law enforcement officer to administer a vin verification, and sign it. At least, didn’t have to bring the car to fl when I did it with multiple cars.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You actually don’t have to bring the car to fl. What he was saying the car has to be in fl for is the vin verification, not mileage. They didn’t have to verify the mileage, only the vin. However, the car doesn’t have to be in fl for a vin verification. Fl allows any law enforcement officer to administer a vin verification, and sign it. At least, didn’t have to bring the car to fl when I did it with multiple cars.
OK, thanks JMan for the clarification. I have a town cop right here on my street, I can maybe have him verify the VIN for me. Have to check in with the guy up the road from me doing the same with his Mustang...see how he's progressing.

·
BlaBlaBla
5,367 Posts
I stand corrected. It was the vin.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I stand corrected. It was the vin.

Not a problem, thanks Eskle.

As I was researching some different exhausts, I came across an old thread that looks like the Magnaflow 3" complete catback or a Borla T would accomplish quieting the Jeep down.
If the "FL thing" works out I may still try the Magnaflow 3" system and keep my Magnaflow Mid-Pipe in place.
If the "FL thing" doesn't work out, then I can go either the Magnaflow 3" or the Borla T and add back the OEM Catted Mid. (It's all going to come down to decibel levels though). A lot of shops around me are saying they won't touch any aftermarket exhaust install now as they risk losing their business license.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey JMan,

Once I get this registered in FL:

There will be no need for Vehicle Inspections going forward. (Unless FL changes that)
Will they require a payment of some amount when I Transfer the Title to FL, (a Sales Tax) or anything like that?
I also just have to switch my Insurance to a FL Insur Company, and use a police officer here in NY to verify the VIN #
Is there some sort of annual Property Tax that needs to be paid on a vehicle? If so, how is that calculated?
And when it is all completed, do I then have Florida License plates?

·
BlaBlaBla
5,367 Posts
Hey JMan,

Once I get this registered in FL:

There will be no need for Vehicle Inspections going forward. (Unless FL changes that)
Will they require a payment of some amount when I Transfer the Title to FL, (a Sales Tax) or anything like that?
I also just have to switch my Insurance to a FL Insur Company, and use a police officer here in NY to verify the VIN #
Is there some sort of annual Property Tax that needs to be paid on a vehicle? If so, how is that calculated?
And when it is all completed, do I then have Florida License plates?
If you go on the Florida tax collector website and look up out of state transfer, all information is there.
The best insurance rate I found was Safeco, a division of Liberty insurance.
Good luck.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts